PDA

View Full Version : Opportunity in CA

bcr
07-30-2015, 10:47 PM
So I am interviewing for a position in San Jose, California. I live in NM now and can shoot anytime I want. The only reason I'm considering this opportunity is because it may be a great career move and I can probably double my salary. I can save a lot of money in a few years and then move back to a better state. But I want to know the real deal about shooting there. I know a lot of members live in CA. I can be happy just buying lever actions and revolvers for a few years, so I'm not so worried about buying guns. I'm mostly worried about CCW and opportunities to shoot. Meaningful advice appreciated.

Artful
07-30-2015, 11:16 PM
Do a little Googlage
https://www.google.com/#q=shooting+in+San+Jose,+California&rflfq=1&tbm=lcl

Bzcraig
07-31-2015, 12:23 AM
Don't count on being able to buy revolvers. No one I know, including FFL's, know why but all handguns on the CA DOJ approved list recently all got the same expiration date 1/1/16. Getting a CCW in any county in the Bay Area ain't gonna happen. I don't know the closest county that does issue CCW so if commuting is a possibility that may be an option. The cost of living in the Bay Area is STUPID, so even if you double your salary you really need to make an accurate comparison of how much of that you will realize especially if you choose to commute because gas is expensive too. The only thing good I can say about San Jose is it has great weather and access to some great fishing in SF Bay and the Delta, shark and sturgeon fishing is a hoot! In order to live in a decent neighborhood renting you have to earn $100k. This is a little better link to follow for shooting.
https://www.google.com/search?sclient=tablet-gws&biw=1024&bih=653&q=gun+ranges+in+san+jose+california&oq=gun+ranges+San+Jose%2C+California&gs_l=tablet-gws.1.0.0i7i30.11210.19242.0.21609.23.20.0.0.0.6.5 64.4349.0j14j2j2j0j2.20.0....0...1c.1.64.tablet-gws..9.14.2546.2aVY-ipZZPI

Artful
07-31-2015, 12:27 AM
gas prices
http://www.sanjosegasprices.com/

As of May 2015, average apartment rent within 10 miles of San Jose, CA is $2829. One bedroom apartments in San Jose rent for $2343 a month on average and two bedroom apartment rents average $2917.

snowwolfe
07-31-2015, 12:30 AM
Google "cost of living comparison" and you can find calculators that take into consideration what you make and where you live compared to your new salary and location to see if you are actually coming out ahead.

starmac
07-31-2015, 12:32 AM
Jesus, It would take a lot more than double a New Mexico salary to break even in the bay area. I wouldn't count on saving a lot of money to eventually escape, in fact I would make sure the money for the next move was stashed first somewhere before I ever headed across that border. lol

smokeywolf
07-31-2015, 01:21 AM
You can forget about a CCW unless you're the Sheriff's close personal friend or relative. Shooting? If you're lucky there will be a range within a one hour drive from you. Hunting? If you're lucky a 6 hour drive. Double your salary? That's great because the cost of living in San Jose will be at least double what it is anywhere in NM. If they can triple your present salary maybe you should consider it.

jmort
07-31-2015, 01:31 AM
California is a "may issue state" with a few shall issue counties, but your proposed area is not one of them.

Updated County Map for California CCW Issuance
It's been awhile since "the map" has been updated, so I figured I'd take a shot at it. In general, I kept the map the same as the previous version unless there was good reason to change it (based on a change in the Sheriff's policy, or anecdotal evidence here on this forum).

I am by no means an expert, or have anywhere near the insider knowledge as someone like Greg. If anyone has better information, just let me know and I will update the map. I just wanted to provide a useful tool for all of the newbies we've been getting recently, Post-Peruta.

Proposed Updates:

Yolo changed from red to dark red (Richards v. Prieto, anecdotal evidence)
Solano changed from dark red to light green (anecdotal, based on this forum)
San Mateo changed from light green to yellow (not that they have become less friendly, I'm just not sure if it was ever really light green in the same sense as Placer or RivCo)
Monterey changed from dark red to dark green (per MCSO website, personal protection is good cause, even though they make applicants jump through a few hoops like psych test)
Nevada changed from light green to dark green (anecdotal evidence)
San Joaquin changed from light green to dark green (SJSO policy)
Ventura changed from yellow to dark green (VCSO policy, pending outcome of Peruta)
Orange changed from red to dark green (OCSD policy, pending outcome of Peruta)

Again, if anyone has better information, let me know and I can update again!

http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/t578/dancincowboy/CA%20CCW%20Map_zpstmy4t1n9.png

http://www.calccw.com/Forums/county-faq/25615-updated-county-map-california-ccw-issuance.html

hithard
07-31-2015, 01:48 AM
100k, not going to do it. there is a big housing shortage in that area. You want to make 200k or close, if not forget it. You are a long way from roaming the woods, no ccw, you most likely own guns that the state doesn't allow.

Sure we have lot's of good fishing, we have lot's of good traffic jams too. Sure there's lot's to do here, but there is a heck of a lot of people doing it too.

stay in NM and fertilize your grass if you think it's not green enough, we're in a drought here and things are getting brown and most likely will stay that way.

I'm only here because I have a very good job, bought my house a long time ago, very cheap, and have lot's of family here. My land in NM is very appealing, and so is Flagstaff, so when I retire....off we go.

Face it, no matter where your at, you will always want and think you need more money. Get over it and go enjoy the NM outdoors.

jmort
07-31-2015, 02:01 AM
BTW, the map, post # 8, is a great example of how isolated groups of liberals, minorities, homos, and union goons have taken over the state. The great majority of the state, land wise, is not liberal.

bcr
07-31-2015, 03:16 AM
It will be $200k, or close.

Duckiller
07-31-2015, 03:54 AM
bcr, I have no idea how much money you make now or how much money you will make in San Jose. I assume you are adult enough to determine if you will come out ahead if you move. Your questions about guns in California. About 10-12 ARs are on the DOJ list of banned assault guns that you don't want to and can't legally bring into Calif. To buy new double action revolvers or pistols the gun must be on our Attorney Generals list of "safe" guns. Per my local gun shop owners manufacturers are getting pissed at the AG rules and may not apply to have any gun retested. Single action revolvers that can't pass drop tests are exempt from this list. You can buy used hand guns that are not on any list but must be processed through a FFL dealer as do all long guns now. Bolt action and pump guns with mags that hold l10 rounds or less no problem if you are an upstanding citizen and not behind in your Cal child support. Semi auto rifles get more complicated Remington woodmaster and older Winchesters through Model 100 no problem if less than 10 round mag. ARs and AKs are different. They are features that these guns can't have too many of and be legal. Check out the AG web site for problem features. In reading this site remember that bullets are tools that can be used to remove mags. There are some hand guns that are not allowed in Calif. The " judge" being one for sure.
No one can reasonably advise you on CCWs. 9th Circuit three judge panel in "Peralta" said the San Diego Sheriff had to issue for self defence . En Banc panel held hearing in june and have not issued a ruling yet. Everyone expects that what ever the ruling is it will be appealed to the Supreme Court. I believe some sheriffs have flipped on issuing since the 3 judge panel ruled and the En Banc hearing.
Hunting is going to depend on what you want to hunt and who you know or what you want to pay. Shooting is about the same. Santa Clara is not a gun friendly county so only shoot at approved ranges. Sheriff's minions will bust you big time if carrying without permit. Or have a 20 round mag or a gun that is not approved. I believe the AG would like you to list all firearms that you bring into the state with her office ,but I don't believe the law requires you to do so. I would find a gun friendly lawyer and check with him/her before telling the AG anything. Since you are not planning to stay forever you could only bring the bare minimum number of guns and tell the AG only about those particular guns. What ever you do don't let them come to your home to inspect them. They have no right without cause. I have heard of people that would like to change List assault guns that are registered to non-listed assault guns by changing some features. AG will not take them off the list of assault guns unless they get to come to the gun owners home and inspect "things". Most gun owners have decided to leave their guns on the list.
California is part of the United States and the Constitution does apply . You may have to sue to enforce it. Before I would move a bunch of guns into California I would talk to a ranking official of the Santa Clara Sheriff Dept., either at therie headquarters or a main substation about what they think is legal. They have enough criminals to arrest without leading you too far astray on gun laws and they are the people that will enforce gun laws in that County. Good luck on your new job and enjoy the state for awhile.

RED333
07-31-2015, 06:05 AM
Do not go, just my $0.02

square butte
07-31-2015, 07:22 AM
San Jose is an "ARMPIT" - and is closer to the pits of hell than almost any place in NM, save for some part of Albuquerque. Traffic from hell. Crazy people out the wazoo. I could add more negative impression if you want - But I believe that is enough. At the very least - Go there and see for yourself, before make a decision.

Handloader109
07-31-2015, 07:24 AM
Nice place (for the most part) to visit, I would recommend that you stay where you are if you like NM. Way too much Crapola and it isn't only gun related. You could at one point get fruit cheap, but that is changing due to water shortage. Everything else is expensive. I'd expect your extra 100k would dissipate like the wind.

MBTcustom
07-31-2015, 07:44 AM
Pardon my language, but screw that, never in a million years, not no but hell no.
I'd rather live in a cardboard box here in the swamp than to set foot in that god forsaken ****hole. Not for any price, not for any period of time.
Just look through gunbroker and see how many will not sell to you if you live in that state.
No sir, nuh uh, never.

I'm sitting down here in Arkansas, a pretty safe distance from California, Chicago, Massachusetts, Washington DC, and Iraq. I'm a little closer to Mexico, but the Mexican people to my rear don't worry me near as much as the politicians to my right, the fruits and nuts to my left, and the thugs up in front.

Moonie
07-31-2015, 07:50 AM
I get job offers all the time for CA, not a chance I'd consider it, ever. But that's just me. I have 8 kids and 10 grandkids all within an hours drive of where I am now (most much closer than that). Shooting range literally 1 mile down the road. Not to mention all the politics and gun laws out there that are just crazy.

bob208
07-31-2015, 07:58 AM
goodsteel I am with you.i would rather live in a tent in pa. then move to ca. there are some other states on my list too.

BrassMagnet
07-31-2015, 08:47 AM

Nowhere close to enough money to voluntarily move there!
If you earn close to $100K in New Mexico, just stay and enjoy the good life!
The laws are so crazy in CA, you will be an unindicted criminal upon arrival, or soon after. Then what are you going to do?

Der Gebirgsjager
07-31-2015, 10:56 AM
You're getting a lot of good advice here, and it all seems to be falling in one direction. I'll add my voice to the others (and it is a voice of experience) and urge you to rethink your proposed move.

My dad had a bit of advice for me when I was very young that turned out to be ever so true: "The more money you make the more money you'll spend". Sure, maybe you're a disciplined spender, but the financial circumstances of living in California will amaze you. For example, do you own a nice, recent model car? What do your annual license plate registration tags cost you in N.M.? In California you can figure $500 per year. Sales tax? Present in most states, but most of them won't tax a candy bar. State Income Tax? Severe. Jerry Brown (the Governor) has his hand in your pocket at every opportunity. The State of Calif. is headed for bankruptcy and is trying to tax it's way out of it. All of the Bay Area bridges charge a toll to cross, and if you have to commute you'll pay it daily and spend hours and hours stuck in traffic. Wait until you see the cost of a house in the San Jose area, or what they want to rent a nice apartment. On and on and on.

Shooting: There are some indoor ranges. One that comes to mind is Target Masters in Milpitas. There is the Los Altos Rifle Range up in the mountains. I left there years ago, so I assume they are still in business, but all of the ranges that used to be down near the valley floor were put out of business by non-shooters who moved in around them and complained about the noise. You can get a complete run down of places to shoot by contacting the California Rifle and Pistol Association, 271 Imperial Highway, Suite #620, Fullerton, CA 92835, www.crpa.org (http://www.crpa.org). While you're at it, ask for their booklet on California Firearms Laws, and another that recently came out, Gun Violence Restraining Orders. It's gotten so bad that a wife, girlfriend, or possibly even a neighbor can call law enforcement and say that you are exhibiting violent tendencies and your guns can be seized for a year. Be aware that there are many guns you can not bring with you into California or buy once you live in California, and the list grows constantly. The state is 100% controlled by the Democrat Party, and the situation is only likely to get worse. As for hunting, they recently outlawed the use of all lead component ammunition throughout the state. You've really got to need the money bad to move there and be ready to make the big changes in your lifestyle. Most folks who like guns, shooting and hunting leave as soon as they can. I did--27 years ago!

Here's a personal story to illustrate my point. I am retired from a law enforcement agency, and I moved to Oregon to get away from The People's Republik of Kalifornia. As fate would have it, my daughter married a local deputy sheriff. Nice guy. When I closed that door in my life and moved on to other things I had very little contact with law enforcement other than my son-in-law, and really didn't seek any. I was solicited by mail to join a retiree group composed of retired officers from my agency who had moved to Oregon and who were in number well over 100, scattered throughout the state, and who wanted to meet once a month. I declined, just because I wasn't interested. Then my son-in-law met a fellow who was out running his dogs for exercise and who turned out to be a retired Los Angeles Police Dept. Officer. He said that they meet once a month at a restaurant just 4 miles down the road and I was invited. Although that wasn't my agency I thought I'd attend once out of curiosity, and did. When I walked into the conference room of the restaurant I was amazed to find almost 50 retired officers, about 98% retired L.A.P.D., all living within easy driving distance. It would seem that the goal is to finish up your 20 years and get out of L.A. and move to Oregon! Better weather and much lower cost of living. That automobile registration I mentioned earlier...$85 for two years. No sales tax. Sadly, the state government here has also become predominately Democrat and we are slowing becoming more like California. But there are so many hunters and shooters here that infringement on the 2nd Amendment is a slower process. But, the point is, that if the cops can't wait to leave, you might want to think twice about going there yourself. And they get to carry a gun legally, on and off duty, and you don't.

Best wishes to you in whichever decision you arrive at, but they don't have enough money to ever lure me south of the CA/OR border again for any reason whatsoever.

garym1a2
07-31-2015, 12:07 PM
The goverment will get over half.

Bent Ramrod
07-31-2015, 12:18 PM
If your mind translates micromanagement of your life as being loved and cared for by faceless bureaucrats, you'll be OK in California. I think it was about six months before I left that a law took effect that you have to have your headlights on if you are running your windshield wipers. (They care about your Safety, you see; Deeply,Throbbingly and Pulsatingly.). The Drought has been mentioned, and indications before I left were that the State Assembly was very interested in the new "smart meter" technology where the amount of water and power to your house can be monitored and, if necessary, controlled. The thought of having Jerry Brown holding a stopwatch on me while I was taking a shower was not to my taste, but the majority of voters in the state seem to translate such activities as Caring and Concern. At least they go on voting the same people who do this to them back into office, over and over again.

Gun shows are being picked off, one by one, in the state, although it seems to me that the gun stores that are left are doing a land-office business. I lived out in the desert, though, not in the urban areas. A lot of the ones in those areas have been harassed out of existence.

I will fully own up to the fact that I chickened out and ran. As mentioned, most of the land (and spectacularly beautiful it is) is in the hand of the same kind of sane, sensible, good people that make life good everywhere. But what emanates from Sacramento, the Bay Area and Los Angeles have turned the state into Mordor with palm trees.

dualsport
07-31-2015, 12:26 PM
Living here has it's good and bad. We're always trying to make it better. Come join us in the fight. Glad to have you. I'll take you somewhere to go shoot. Millions of acres of public land. You may consider commuting to work from a cheaper friendlier area. A lot of people do. Look at San Joaquin or Stanislaus County for a possible base. It's California, going to be more expensive than what you're used to. Do a little math, cost/benefit homework. Like I said, we'd love to have you. We need more sane people. Also. on your days off you will have a lot of great choices for things to do, places to go, people to meet. We have it all.

tinhorn97062
07-31-2015, 12:57 PM
Living here has it's good and bad. We're always trying to make it better. Come join us in the fight. Glad to have you. I'll take you somewhere to go shoot. Millions of acres of public land. You may consider commuting to work from a cheaper friendlier area. A lot of people do. Look at San Joaquin or Stanislaus County for a possible base. It's California, going to be more expensive than what you're used to. Do a little math, cost/benefit homework. Like I said, we'd love to have you. We need more sane people. Also. on your days off you will have a lot of great choices for things to do, places to go, people to meet. We have it all.

At the risk of a possible hijack, I'll chime in with my intent to be relocating. My wife and I have made the decision to relocate down to Orange County. We're stashing cash for the move and I'm currently looking for work down in that area. The hope is to be moved in ~6mos or so.

ol skool
07-31-2015, 01:00 PM
...Sadly, the state government here has also become predominately Democrat and we are slowing becoming more like California. But there are so many hunters and shooters here that infringement on the 2nd Amendment is a slower process...

Re: OR... This session the Dems in Salem paid Bloomberg back for his, uhmm, support and we got a ram rodded NYC gun bill. The Dems in OR are cut from the same cloth as Dems in CA.

I spent 13 years in tiny little towns in NorCal working in the woods. There are places that are exceptional in every way in CA. The Delta isn't one of them. It just sux.

If you're a young fellow without a family or older and the kids are gone maybe. If this move is a stepping stone in your career to a CEO, 7 figure job then it might be worth it.

If you have a family, and it simply yeilds more pay for job negotiations down the line, no. I wouldn't have my kids exposed to the life style of urban CA for all the money in the world. Some things are just more important in life than $$$.

white eagle
07-31-2015, 01:47 PM
Gotta ask "are you out of your mind".
Sister in law is in Cali at the moment for out nieces wedding
she made a vacation out of it she told my wife her sister that the
so-so hotel that she stayed in cost her 300.00 a night
gas was like 6.00 or something a gal.
not sure 2x your salary will cover living there unless you already make 150k
at any rate best of luck to you

MtGun44
07-31-2015, 02:24 PM
Need at least twice the money to even come close to lifestyle in NM, more like triple or
better in the San Jose area, unless you enjoy 2 hour commutes one way in bad traffic.

I had multiple opportunities, and in areas where cost of living was far lower than SJ, and
in the end, turned them down. Would have been REALLY interesting work and better
money, but my whole life does not revolve around work and in the end, I saved more
for retirement in Kansas.

Born in CA, left long ago but regularly have visited friends and relatives for 50 yrs. ALWAYS
happy to be leaving for Free America, although there are a lot of nice places in Cali. The
most pleased at leaving was the time I was watching the smoke plume over LA from the Rodney King
riots as we climbed out, one of the last flights out that day. I counted over 60 discrete fires,
and most were obscured in the larger part of the smoke. Yep, Cali is a fine place. . . .
Bill

GRUMPA
07-31-2015, 02:31 PM
I was born and raised in SoCal, was all right growing up (until I got wiser) and moved out in 90. I've done a lot of stupid things in my life, but looking back that was the smartest decision I've made in my life.

Duckiller
07-31-2015, 06:04 PM
White Eagle's relatives aren't very thrifty. There are lots of hotels /motels that charge less than $300.00 per night and gas is nowhere near $6.00/gal. Gas has pretty much peaked at $4.00 and going down. A bunch of people on this board know all about living in California without ever living here. I live in greater los Angeles. Our former Mayor was one of Mr. Bloomberg's buddies but we voted her out of office. They're way too many very liberal democrats in the state legislature. If they weren't such crooks they could run the state and overrule the Governor and all Republicans. Fortunately enough of them are stupid crooks and they can never keep their 2/3 majority. Living in a big city there is too much traffic, too many people and too many crazies. But that is true of ANY big city. The San Francisco bay area is at true metropolitan area with all sorts of problems. Decent people with decent jobs can survive in such areas and raise decent children. To be truthful I would like to leave California. I was raised on a farm in northwest Michigan . I am now 72 closing in on 73. I would like to be in a more rural area and putter in a large wood shop. However since I have a form of cancer and have had two minor heart attacks, big city medicine is nice to have available. I assume the members above that attacked living in California would say the same about living in any urban area. You are looking to move to an urban area. Outdoor activities are going to have you driving farther than if you lived in a rural area. If you move here it won't be the end of the world and if you and/or wife and/or kids really hate it you can move. We could use some sensible people for awhile. won't be enough to make a permanent difference but maybe a little change.

Jtarm
07-31-2015, 10:12 PM
I dunno know anymore, but San Jose historically has been one of the most anti-gun cities in the country. I believe they had an outright ban on handguns. Former (I hope) police chief Joe MacNamara was a rabid anti gunner known to effectively oust officers who disagreed with him.

Economically, I was told by someone who relocated here (TX) from The People's Republic for the same money it was equivalent of a 33% raise.

opos
07-31-2015, 10:39 PM
I've lived in California for a long time..(we can live here because we bought our home in the 70's and it's all paid off and we are both now retired so don't have the commute, etc)..since the mid 60's with a stint in Albuquerque that was great...I'm sure it's gotten busy and crowded like any where but San Jose?? That whole Peninsula is the land of the high price everything...My Daughter in Law is from The Peninsula..they now live in Sacramento which is bad enough and there is no way she and my Son could ever begin to afford a home on the Peninsula and they make over $300K a year between them with one child in school....Her folks have a little old house in Burlingame that has become a million dollar "scraper" to knock down and build on.

Fishing is always a great pastime in California but not without the same restrictive rules as shooting and guns..my oldest Son is in the sportfishing business and I've fished here for a very long time and it's gotten to be a hassle..hunting is almost non existent in many areas and remember that San Jose is a bedroom for San Francisco and is fully as liberal as San Francisco..won't be much interest in keeping guns there..

If you do like most folks that move to the bay area you will end up buying in Walnut Creek way out east and spending a couple of hours a day to get to and from work because you can't begin to afford the housing in the whole Bay area complex...it's murder.

MaryB
08-01-2015, 01:22 AM
Not enough water, failing power system, massive taxes, stupid gun laws, LIBERALS, traffic from H***... why on earth would a sane person want to move INTO that mess.

David2011
08-01-2015, 01:32 AM
I lived in Kali for 3-1/2 years; left 14 years ago. I liked it really well for the most part back then. No way would I go back now. Signs in the motor vehicle department tell you to register your handguns while they offer voter registration cards to illegals because it's illegal to ask if you're a citizen when they offer you a voter registration card. Had a GF that worked in Los Gatos for a while. That's a high rent district burb of San Jose. Bentley and Ferrari dealer down the street from her apartment. RIDICULOUSLY expensive. In 2001 her apartment rent just over $2K/month. Surgeons wouldn't hire on permanently at the hospital because they couldn't live in the manner they were accustomed on $350,000/yr.

New Mexico has a lot to offer. Unless you live in Santa Fe or Hobbs the cost of living will go up exponentially.

David

starmac
08-01-2015, 01:26 PM
I tried southern Cali for a short while in the 70's, couldn't stomach it then, for many reasons besides gun laws. It would not even be a consideration these days.

376Steyr
08-01-2015, 01:34 PM
If you happen to be living in CA when the coming Great Unpleasantness arrives, what makes you think the rest of us are going to let you out?

opos
08-01-2015, 02:55 PM
If you happen to be living in CA when the coming Great Unpleasantness arrives, what makes you think the rest of us are going to let you out?
We have already suffered the "great unpleasantness" with the fence jumpers and sanctuary cities all along the coast...but the good news these days is that they don't stay here...this is just a stopping off place for the illegals as they fan out into the heartland of the U.S....the legal mexicans here don't want the illegals here and make it very uncomfortable for them to try and hang around.

If things do get bad, we plan to hide in the trunks of tourist's cars as they head back from vacation..we are trying to find a way to seal off Disney land, Sea World, etc so that nobody else will come here....we are in the midst of the "tourist follies" right now...thousands of out of state plate cars and rental cars screaming down the main freeways with drivers lost and too ego centered to ask for directions....it's like Daytona...but they do bring the money...got a Son in the fishing industry...this year with huge tourist trade and lots of fish is paying lots of bills.

When it's January or February and it's snowing and blowing in other places I'll think of every one as we sit near the beach and watch the lovlies in their bikinis in the 75 degree weather...We might not want to leave...sort of don't wake up somebody in a coma..a coma may be the best place they ever were.

Duckiller
08-01-2015, 07:13 PM
MaryB we live in California because we want reasonably honest elections. We don't have anything like your election of Al Franken as your Senator. Barbara Boxer really appreciated you electing him. Now she is no longer the dumbest Senator.

xs11jack
08-01-2015, 08:37 PM
Having left there 25 years ago, I don't know anything current about the laws that govern powder, primers, cases, and bullets. No one has mentioned them yet. Can someone fill us in??
Ole Jack

GLL
08-01-2015, 08:54 PM
$6.00/gallon !

Hilarious ! :)

Jerry

Love Life
08-01-2015, 08:58 PM
I heart California and accept her as she is. I'd move there in a heartbeat.

ShooterAZ
08-01-2015, 09:17 PM
Cali? NO. I moved to AZ in 1974, and have no desire to reside there ever again. Stick to NM, my birth place, and where I will more than likely retire in ten years or so. Or, even better yet...move to AZ and find a good job. The economy is is on a major come-back here in AZ. Sorry if I missed it...but what do you do for a living?

Duckiller
08-01-2015, 10:57 PM
Ole Jack. I posted about hand guns. Primers, powders are the same as in all states. Bullets , by 2019 we will have to use all copper ( non-toxic) projectiles. to take any game in the state. No one is sure if there will be enough bullets for reloaders. There probably won't be enough loaded ammo in all calibers. I have found 22WRM non-toxic ammo but no 22LR. Shot gun ammo for upland game may be a problem. I have shot teal with T shot when walking in from duck blinds and wanted goose loads available. Not sure I want to shoot a limit of doves with heavy duck loads.

knifemaker
08-01-2015, 11:23 PM
I live in the Sierra foothills about 150 miles N/E of San Jose. I would not move to San Jose for all the tea in china. It is noted for high crime rate and many Hispanic gangbangers. Cost of living is very high unless you want to live in the middle of gangbanger barrio. I would strongly re-consider moving there unless your new job will pay such an amount where you can afford to live in a less crime area of the city or better yet on the out skirts of the city limits. You can forget about obtaining any permit to carry a concealed weapon due to the city fathers and police chief and sheriff's office being very antigun and not wanting citizens to pack a firearm for personal protection. The county I live in gives out CCW permits for personal protection and all you have to do is pass the background check and show you are proficient with your handgun.

MaryB
08-02-2015, 12:23 AM
Trust me Franken getting in was done by the idiots in the metro corridor, he was NOT wanted out here and he refuses to even visit out here because people have made threats(beat him to a pulp comes to mind).

MaryB we live in California because we want reasonably honest elections. We don't have anything like your election of Al Franken as your Senator. Barbara Boxer really appreciated you electing him. Now she is no longer the dumbest Senator.

Bzcraig
08-02-2015, 10:26 AM
Trust me Franken getting in was done by the idiots in the metro corridor, he was NOT wanted out here and he refuses to even visit out here because people have made threats(beat him to a pulp comes to mind).

The same is true in most states, the large metro areas elect the politicians. Easily 85% of California's land mass is occupied by very conservative folks but the large population density areas are in control politically. If I were to set aside the politics, including gun laws, California is bar none the prettiest state, though I haven't been in all of them yet, hunting and fishing is great in the right spot, which is universally true of every state, and there's plenty of money to be made here, after all it is the 7th (or 8th) largest economy in the world. If this was a politically conservative state as it was under Reagan there would be no better place on earth to live. You can live in the hottest place in the U.S. (Death Valley) or have weather similar to parts of Alaska in the Sierras or anything in between and the coastline is second to none. However, California has become a microcosm of where the U.S. is headed because of the political environment and a Republican Party, who was once truly conservative, having moved to the center with a Democratic Party continuing to move farther and farther to the left.
OK, rant off, sorry.

CGT80
08-02-2015, 04:56 PM
The same is true in most states, the large metro areas elect the politicians. Easily 85% of California's land mass is occupied by very conservative folks but the large population density areas are in control politically. If I were to set aside the politics, including gun laws, California is bar none the prettiest state, though I haven't been in all of them yet, hunting and fishing is great in the right spot, which is universally true of every state, and there's plenty of money to be made here, after all it is the 7th (or 8th) largest economy in the world. If this was a politically conservative state as it was under Reagan there would be no better place on earth to live. You can live in the hottest place in the U.S. (Death Valley) or have weather similar to parts of Alaska in the Sierras or anything in between and the coastline is second to none. However, California has become a microcosm of where the U.S. is headed because of the political environment and a Republican Party, who was once truly conservative, having moved to the center with a Democratic Party continuing to move farther and farther to the left.
OK, rant off, sorry.

I agree.

Luckily I live in San Bernardino county, but I am only 20 minutes from LA county and a number of customers who I visit are in LA county. LA just had the stupid mag law to outlaw possession of anything over 10 rounds. The best shooting range (A private club who owns the land) in my part of SoCal is just 10 miles North of where I live.

Parts of California are very nice, but one thing that will not change is the demographics which have been changed by all of the legal and illegal immigrants to this area. Even if illegal immigration is taken care of, it won't change the values, or lack of, that the population now seems to have. It is contagious and seems to exist across all races. 20-30 years ago, people seemed more civilized in this area of SoCal. Part of it may be due to the number of people who live here as well. I was brought up much different than how many people now act in this area. My family has been in this area for about 80 years, AFAIK.

OP, stay where you are. It would be a big step backward to move to a major population center like SJ, LA, SD, SF, etc. Our family and friends have been looking, and moving, to the North West US. It is much more like the good old days we had in SoCal. My parents and I have a family business here and CA is not good for business. There are a number of other businesses in the rest of the family and the only good part about being here is the number of potential customers that you have. There is also a lot of competition out there and most people prefer cheap work over quality work, if they can't have both.

While I love Kalifornia, I also hate it. Maybe one day I will move to the USA.

Mtnfolk75
08-02-2015, 05:18 PM
OK, rant off, sorry.

I also agree having spent my entire 61+ years here, California has been good to me & my family. My two oldest daughters have moved out of state to raise their families, the oldest in Oregon & the other in Alaska. My son is still here and just won his job back after 18 months, retains all his seniority, vacation & sick leave rates, the only thing he lost was about 80K from his 401K that he used to live on & pay for his divorce. Seems that after a review by other District General Managers, he was wrongly terminated due to personality conflict. He moved near us when he lost his job and has been through 3 jobs in the interim, the good news is he will get to stay here with the company. That said, he has plans to move to Texas within about 3 years with a transfer within the company.

SWMBO and I reside in a cabin that was purchased from her parents in 2000, they have since passed. My parents are both still doing good at 85 & 88, they live in their own home about an hour from us but only about 15 minutes from my two surviving brothers and my son. At present we are still happy with living here, live is good in the mountains. I'm retired & on SS, SWMBO still has another year on her Fire Contract. After that who knows, it may be time for us to relocate as well.

Bottom line is, you have to make the decision yourself. Do what is right for your family & you, don't let the naysayers keep you away. California is still a good place to live. Remember Life is a journey to be enjoyed, enjoy it. Life is TERMINAL ...... Nobody gets out alive ...... [smilie=s:

Paul_R
08-02-2015, 06:18 PM
California is a terrible place, I often wonder why I ever moved here. And then it comes to me as I'm riding my motorcycle up the coast in February...

MT Gianni
08-02-2015, 06:38 PM
I would move wherever a job could take me if I was certain I would benefit long term. I turned down 2 1/2 times my current salary in So Texas as it was not long term. I could increase my $$ by 1 1/2 on either coast but do not feel it is in my best interests. Ask yourself if you can save money. Some can put money away on minimum wage, others would be in debt at 3 million a year. Do you need to buy any guns in 5 years? How much are you committed to saving at the expense of dining out and entertainment? Do you have a plan to turn savings in to long term assets? If so you may do OK for a fixed time. Brother lives in CA and has raised 4 sons three of whom are active shooters. [The FBI agent has the easiest time getting guns and ammo]. If you can draw it out, make a true plan and see how it works for you you can decide. If you have to ask on the net, IMO, you do not have the decision making ability to decide. I et a grin from those who would never live somewhere yet who have never set foot there. I would go take a look before I committed to anything but that is me.

scarry scarney
08-03-2015, 03:15 PM
I live in CA. Have since 1994. Yes we have stupid gun laws. I suggest you check out http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php for better answers on CA gun stuff then our website (Castoolits is my favorite, Calguns rates about third). Yes, San Jose and the Bay area is more expensive then where I live. I travel once a month to the Bay area for Treatment at Stanford Hospital, so I do know what some of the prices are. I did have to live in the Bay Area, while undergoing some treatment.

For Me San Jose is too crowded, and has too much traffic.

But we need more Gun Friendly people to fight off the stupids!!!! Come and cast a vote for Democracy and let's take back our great state.

hicard
08-03-2015, 07:40 PM
I am only here in Calif. because my family doesn't want to move. If I were single, I would move in a heartbeat.

MT Gianni
08-03-2015, 10:49 PM
Another way to look at it is that you would have many more 2nd amendment rights by moving to CA than if you joined the military. At least you could keep a gun in your house.

Love Life
08-03-2015, 10:54 PM
You can have guns in your house in the military as long as they are registered IAW regulation and orders.

People have given good advice on both sides of the equation.

California is a great place, and worth living in. California can use as many pro 2nd citizens as it can get.

jmort
08-04-2015, 12:11 AM
I left California for good on Saturday, paid $4.10 for a gallon of gas and could not get out fast enough. Just filled up for $2.25 in Oklahoma. The gun laws will only get worse. The handgun roster is shrinking and no new semi-autos to be added ever, unless the courts make the state do so. Small things like gas nozzles at the stations like we had back in the day, and I just took the best shower I have had in the last 20 with a years with a normal volume shower head. If you want your California, you can keep your California. As to the motorcycle ride in Nor Cal mention herein, I saw a bunch of riders in Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and Oklahoma really enjoying their rides with, no helmets. If you are a liberal, homo, union goon, or illegal alien, California has to be at or near the top of your list of favorite states to live in. Yes it could be the best State in the Union, but it is so far from being that. "Color me gone."

starmac
08-04-2015, 02:46 AM
Ya mean you finally escaped. Sounds like you even got clean away if you have made it as far as Ok. lol

Love Life
08-04-2015, 09:54 AM
Congrats on your escape, Jmort. Where do you plan on landing? I'd have traded you my place in Georgia for your place in California! 2800 sq ft, 1 acre, many large live oaks, and close to cool stuff.

sparky45
08-04-2015, 09:59 AM
So I am interviewing for a position in San Jose, California. I live in NM now and can shoot anytime I want. The only reason I'm considering this opportunity is because it may be a great career move and I can probably double my salary. I can save a lot of money in a few years and then move back to a better state. But I want to know the real deal about shooting there. I know a lot of members live in CA. I can be happy just buying lever actions and revolvers for a few years, so I'm not so worried about buying guns. I'm mostly worried about CCW and opportunities to shoot. Meaningful advice appreciated.
You should be really concerned about the cost of living in the area of Calif. you're planning on moving. While your salary might increase a lot, I can guarantee the cost of living will also increase.

quilbilly
08-04-2015, 11:54 AM
I heart California and accept her as she is. I'd move there in a heartbeat.
Born and raised in California when it was a nice place to live. Every once in a while I get the urge to see some of the really good places I used to enjoy but then sanity prevails. Best view of California is in your rear view mirror. The Markleeville area is an exception to that, Love Life. Xctry skiing is still a good reason to go there not to mention it is close to Nevada.

dkf
08-04-2015, 12:16 PM
I left California for good on Saturday, paid $4.10 for a gallon of gas and could not get out fast enough. Just filled up for $2.25 in Oklahoma. The gun laws will only get worse. The handgun roster is shrinking and no new semi-autos to be added ever, unless the courts make the state do so. Small things like gas nozzles at the stations like we had back in the day, and I just took the best shower I have had in the last 20 with a years with a normal volume shower head. If you want your California, you can keep your California. As to the motorcycle ride in Nor Cal mention herein, I saw a bunch of riders in Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and Oklahoma really enjoying their rides with, no helmets. If you are a liberal, homo, union goon, or illegal alien, California has to be at or near the top of your list of favorite states to live in. Yes it could be the best State in the Union, but it is so far from being that. "Color me gone."

Congrats my friend. Welcome to America.

scarry scarney
08-04-2015, 01:07 PM
Ok, my disclaimer. While in the military, my last duty station was California. Upon retirement, I put my resume out, got hired to work at my last duty station. 20 years later, still here, still working, daughter got married. Now she is about to deliver my first Grand daughter. Looks like I'm staying.

Do I like the gun laws? No, but I voice my opinions to my elected representatives. And rather than stick my head in the sand or leave, I get involved in the community and try to make it a better place (IMHO).

Are there better places to live? You betcha!

But for a lot of us, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. (But don't get me started on the lack of water thing, and how my lawn is dead!!!:veryconfu)