PDA

View Full Version : Price of Scrap Brass

wv109323
07-30-2015, 10:16 PM
I have saved 30-40 lbs of scrap brass over the last 2-3 years. Old dirty range pick -up,odd calibers. Berdan primed,small primer .45 ACP and headstamps that I don't load. I was wondering what the going price per lb. this stuff is bringing?

KYCaster
07-30-2015, 10:59 PM
Should bring "yellow brass" price. Call around to find the best price.

Metal prices now are lowest they've been for many years. Hang on to it till the price goes up.

Jerry

bangerjim
07-30-2015, 11:26 PM
TOTALLY depends on your area. Just make some calls to find out. I have 30# or so of brass swarf from my metal lathes and milling machines in the same boat. In no hurry to sell at current prices.

mold maker
07-31-2015, 08:14 AM
The value of the SP 45 ACP is the same as LP. Sell them here on S&S. Just hold on the the scrap until the price goes back up.

lightman
07-31-2015, 11:33 AM
I've never gotten a good price on cartridge brass, but I still recycle it. In my former business I would accumulate enough scrap copper to make it worth selling. I would save scrap brass and aluminum to sell at the same time. The places around here are scared of cartridge brass and offer very little. They also will not sell lead or anything else to the public.

kfarm
07-31-2015, 11:41 AM
Don't know what the price of scrap is but I just bought a 10' stick of 1" a few weeks back and you'd thought it was gold.

bangerjim
07-31-2015, 01:34 PM
Don't know what the price of scrap is but I just bought a 10' stick of 1" a few weeks back and you'd thought it was gold.

Tell me about is!

Thank heaven I bought a s-load of brass bar stock back when it was a buck a pound! I have enough 1/8" thru 4" round stock to last me a very looooooong time. Even have a 3 foot piece of 8" round! Got that for 50¢/#. Don't pick that up very often!!!!!

banger

Wis. Tom
07-31-2015, 04:31 PM
Metal prices have tanked, hold on to it if you can until prices come back.

GRUMPA
07-31-2015, 04:43 PM
Metal prices have tanked, hold on to it if you can until prices come back.

Seems that way....I turned in 900Lbs of what they call "Yellow Brass" in Dec of 13 and got $1.90 per Lb.

Called a few months ago and they were willing to give me $1.30Lb

Problem with me is it's a 9hr round trip, sure I could do it locally if I want to get .50Lb for it. And that .50Lb was back in 13 and I would hate to find out what they're willing to give for it today.

Think I'll just wait till the price goes up, make the trip worth while....

bubba.50
07-31-2015, 06:40 PM
last I sold(scrap fittings & shim stock, not cartridge brass) I got $2.00lb for it. but, that was a few months ago.

dale2242
07-31-2015, 06:46 PM
I called a local scrap yard for a quote on junk brass prices.
I was quoted $1.23 per lb.....dale

lightman
07-31-2015, 08:25 PM
What are you Guys doing with brass bar stock that big, cannon barrels?

bangerjim
07-31-2015, 09:42 PM
What are you Guys doing with brass bar stock that big, cannon barrels?

You must remember.....there is much more to life than just guns & ammo.

My main hobby for decades has been reproducing and repairing antique scientific instruments and clocks and I turn and machine many items from brass bar stock of all sizes. To cut gears on my CNC mill, I need barstock from 1/2" to 4". NOTHING to do with firearms or cannons at all. I would post some of the pix of my creations & projects, but most on here are only interested in everything gun-related. And I do not know the proper thread to put stuff like that in anyway.

I work in brass/mahogany/walnut/oak/ebony/glass/silver/ivory......even hand-made pasteboard......all the old materials used in the 17th thru 19th centuries for scientific instruments. The Golden Age of real craftsmanship.

banger

fatelk
08-01-2015, 01:42 AM
Bangerjim, that actually sounds very interesting. I for one am fascinated by that kind of craftsmanship.

waltherboy4040
08-01-2015, 03:41 AM
I got 90 cents a pound for cartridge brass a while back. As far as I know, cartridge brass has to be mutilated before leaving the country so some places will offer less than regular yellow brass.

Czech_too
08-01-2015, 06:07 AM
​As of a week ago, it was 90 cents a pound.

georgerkahn
08-01-2015, 06:39 AM
I'm too forgetful to recall actual $$$'s, but I recently took a large plastic bucket of (firearm) brass to a small local 'yard. The foreman was VERY adamant that there be ZERO live primers and/or powder in bucket -- and I told him of my casting obsession. To make a lonnng story short, but no monies were exchanged: I left a bucket of brass which was totally surplus to my needs, and left with significantly heavier amount of lead ingots! So much so, the lead weight broke the plastic bucket! I left/got home happy. Perhaps you might find a 'yard in your area which swaps brass, too? Just an idea based upon my experience.
george

Hawks Feather
08-01-2015, 08:09 AM
We have four places in town that recycle and two said that they would not consider taking range brass. Another said that they would, but it would have to be burnt first and then it would be inspected before it would be bought. The fourth place said that they would buy it at 50¢ a pound and then burn it so that their buyer would take it. Not a way to get rich quick.

Bad Water Bill
08-01-2015, 09:06 AM
I think it all depends on just how big a bunch of thieves run your scrap yard.

I took a load of scrap iron to my local thieves and while collecting my money I asked what the price of lead was.

When he said .09 I said fine I will take 300 #

NO NO he said,that is what WE pay for it but IF you want our lead the price is .65 #.

Now I know why the local tire shops just throw it in their dumpster.

Just not worth the tire shops time to collect,store and deliver it to the scrap yard.

lightman
08-01-2015, 09:47 AM
Jim, that sounds very interesting! I would enjoy seeing pictures of some of your restorations. I bet right here in 'Our Town' would be a good place to post. Please consider starting a thread about this.

bangerjim
08-01-2015, 02:26 PM
If Our Town sounds like the right place, I will post some pix when I get back on my main PC that has all the pictures on it. I do most of this type of "thread commenting" from my iPad down in the family room or out in my shop and have no access to the pix.

I have made/repaired (all antiques) over:
60 microscopes
40 motors
lots of static-related stuff
Static generation machines
kaleidoscopes
magnetic items of all kinds
dual pan scientific/pharmacy scales
Physics experimentation items
Clocks too numerous to count

All the repro's I make are 100% accurate and 100% functional.

(never made a single gun, but a few parts for some I have!)

banger

Bad Water Bill
08-04-2015, 03:20 AM
The last real craftsman I saw or heard of was a fellow from Germany.

He served a 5 year apprenticeship and to graduate he made a pocket watch from the case to the smallest screw and spring BY HAND.

Sadly he should never put his true work of art on display because it was stolen in about a month.

Now how about letting an OLD man see some more craftsmanship after over 55 years of looking for another one?

Teddy (punchie)
08-04-2015, 06:45 AM
Find and old cement mixer and get some type of medium and clean it up. Grade and sort while you watching TV and store the good stuff or sale. Scrap the scrap. Better yet have the kids grade and sort and double check, we call it fishing money.