PDA

View Full Version : Help picking a new mold

stubert
07-29-2015, 11:09 AM
I am looking to get a 350 gr. mold for my Marlin Guide Gun. Been looking at the NOE 460-350-rf GC. What is the difference between NOE molds and Ranch dog molds. The bullets appear to be almost the same with only slight variations. Are they designed for the 45-70 col at 2.55"? Lastly, Are the brass molds worth the extra $$$. ? Thanks, Stu

theleo
07-29-2015, 12:49 PM
It's my understanding that NOE is producing the molds for Ranch Dog or they are doing so at his consent. Either way, they are for all intensive purposes, Ranch Dog designs.

I plan on shooting these this weekend, they are from the same mold you're looking at. Are the brass molds worth the extra money? I can't really speak to that as this is only my second brass mold but it seems easier for me to get good hollow points and fill out with it once it gets up to temp. I can stay at a pretty steady tempo and make I pile with out to much hassle, my aluminum 434421 from NOE, I need to bee moving everything rite along to keep it hot enough for my hollow points to fill out consistently.

happy7
07-30-2015, 03:08 PM
I have a lot of molds of different materials. When I was less experienced, I noticed a difference with molds made out of different materials. However, it is my belief that it doesn't make a lot of difference other than some are heavier than others, some are more resistant to corrosion, some wear easier. But all cast just as well. Once I got more experienced I realized I didn't really care any more what material the mold was made from. All can make good bullets.

Wasalmonslayer
07-31-2015, 01:22 AM
One more vote for the Noe 460-350. My shoots great in my guide gun!
I size to 459 and give em some tac1 lube. I Shoot em plain base at 1200 fps.
The only time I see an edge with brass is smaller boolits.
The don't keep enough heat in the mold.
These big ole girls you will have no prob keepin the mold hot. You will probably have to pace yourself to keep the mold from getting to hot!

Slayer

Wayne Smith
07-31-2015, 07:35 AM
Ranch Dog is out of the mold making business. If you go to the NOE site forums you will see a section dedicated to the Ranch Dog designs, including new ones, and Ranch Dog himself posting. That's as close as you are gonna get, and, as far as I'm concerned those are RD molds.

Tatume
07-31-2015, 03:16 PM
For all intents and purposes, aluminum molds are my favorites.

leftiye
08-01-2015, 07:32 AM
Well ah likes brass, so there! (Doesn't make much difference though)

Bongo Boy
08-02-2015, 12:12 AM
I am looking to get a 350 gr. mold for my Marlin Guide Gun. Been looking at the NOE 460-350-rf GC

Don't hesitate to take a look at Accurate Molds as well. They have a lot of bullets in the 460-350 area you might find appealing, and offer iron, brass and aluminum options. It's just another source you may not have been aware of, no more, no less. Recently I was looking for a 325 gr and thought I'd actually placed my order, only to find out I really hadn't. Yesterday I decided I wanted to go heavier and ordered a 420 gr with gas check that I'm really looking forward to working up loads for (Accurate's 46-420G) in the Ruger No 1.

I think I've produced bullets as consistently and of as high a 'quality' with $35 aluminum 6-cavity Lee molds as I have with $145 custom brass molds. I purchased both aluminum and brass from Accurate, and I tend to buy brass now only because I think they hold up better for me--brass is a tougher material that doesn't gall like aluminum does. I wouldn't hesitate a minute to buy aluminum again, especially if what I wanted was available in the $35 range. Aluminum molds that I haven't been as careful with as I should have still clean up in a few minutes and still produce 1000s more of the fine little projectiles we love so much--so no big deal. Some aesthetics aside, they work great.

Bigslug
08-02-2015, 11:38 AM
Yes, that bullet will give you about a 2.5" .45-70 cartridge if you seat it to the crimp groove.

I've been having very good luck in the accuracy department with the NOE 405 grainer. The main difference I see in the RD 350 is a different lube groove pattern (more and narrower) and a very slightly smaller meplat, both of which should be positive traits - the former for accuracy and the latter for feeding in a lever gun. The .34" nose on the 405 is so impressive in its impact that I have dubbed it the Harbinger of the Milk Jug Apocalypse. The greater speed you can achieve with a 350 should put it in pretty similar territory.

Nice thing about the .45-70 - it's an easy round to get good results from. Hunting accuracy you should be able to get running your press blindfolded with most any well-cast slug. Target accuracy might require a different mold or three, but you shouldn't need to break out a slide rule.