PDA

View Full Version : Now what do I do with this stuff???

jackley
03-28-2008, 02:58 PM
About 10 years ago I picked this stuff at an auction. And I have forgotten all about it
till I was cleaning out the reloading shack and came acrossed it. Now I'll been playing with lead since I was a little kid. But never squeezing it. Is there a place either to find out about it or should I just sell it. None of the dies have any printing on them except Corbin. The only thing I remember when I bought them was. There a die for making jackets from 22 lr cases. And dies for making 224 and and 243 jacket bullets
Thanks for any info in advance

Jerry

scrapcan
03-28-2008, 03:33 PM
If you are interested in selling I might be interested. Let me know.

Jeremy

Rat-Man
03-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Looks like you have a Corbin Press for bullet making. From the picture the die sets look like ones for a reloading press not the ones that would fit that press but it is hard to see the press ram in the photo.

Looks like you could get started making jacketed 22 bullets with what you have if you have a strong single stage press to use those dies in.

The Corbin Site to look for info is http://www.corbins.com/

Rat-Man

Southern Son
03-29-2008, 08:03 AM
Jerry, just curious mate, but where and what type of auction puts up things like that for sale. I wish that I could find auctions like that in Oz. By the way, you have come to the right place, if you look through this forum in this swaging section, you will find a fair few threads on making .224 bullets from what you have there and more than just a couple of members of this forum are not only brilliant bullet makers, but they are very free and easy with their knowledge. Is that a core mould on the far right?

Ron.

jackley
03-29-2008, 08:46 AM
It was just a estate auction here in town. Had at least 50 guns a ton of reloading equipment and supplies and lots of related books and other outdoor plunder. One of the neater sales I've been to.
Jerry

georgeld
03-30-2008, 03:02 AM
IF you don't want to keep them, there's a dozen of us that would almost argue over buying that setup from you. That's just what many of us are trying to come up with.

EMC45
03-30-2008, 08:06 AM
Uhhhhhhhh, Sell it to me![smilie=1:

georgeld
03-31-2008, 02:31 AM
Jackley: Where are you located?? That makes a big difference.

EDK
03-31-2008, 10:51 AM
There's two Corbins companies in the same area in Oregon. Allegedly brothers who had a "difference of opinion." Check out the label and then pull up the web site. They advertise in HANDLOADER and RIFLE magazines. They have a book package that is enlightening. (I had the 22 set back in the late 70s/early 80s.)

You're going to choke when you find out what the current prices are on the stuff in your picture! It is "a little more expensive" than casting Tumble Lube boolits! You"ll know why so many people jumped out of the weeds volunteering to take this off your hands.

:cbpour: :redneck: :Fire:

454PB
03-31-2008, 04:49 PM
I recognize some of it, because it matches my Corbin swaging gear. Yes, that is a core mould on the lower right, and a couple of ejection pins, swaging dies, and the punches that fit the ram of a single stage reloading press. I've never seen one like it, but that is obviously a Corbin press on the left and what appears to be a box of Sierra bullet jackets. Hard to tell, but it looks like the dies are smaller than 7/8X14 TPI. I'm sure you could find an adapter to make them fit a standard press if you wanted, or just use the Corbin press. I'd guess there's somewhere over $800 worth of stuff in that picture at today's prices.

scrapcan
03-31-2008, 06:00 PM
454PB,

I think you are in the high ballpark for the pricing of the corbin equipment. I would have liked to worked a deal but I don't have what it is really worth and no trade stock. I think he should keep it and have fun making bullets.

jackley
03-31-2008, 06:14 PM
I recognize some of it, because it matches my Corbin swaging gear. Yes, that is a core mould on the lower right, and a couple of ejection pins, swaging dies, and the punches that fit the ram of a single stage reloading press. I've never seen one like it, but that is obviously a Corbin press on the left and what appears to be a box of Sierra bullet jackets. Hard to tell, but it looks like the dies are smaller than 7/8X14 TPI. I'm sure you could find an adapter to make them fit a standard press if you wanted, or just use the Corbin press. I'd guess there's somewhere over $800 worth of stuff in that picture at today's prices.

Thanks for the info. The dies are 7/8 X 14 TPI . The dies have a gold and blue sticker on the top of them that just says Corbin. The jackets are Sierra .224. Oh! Either I took a good picture or you have good eyes. Wish mine were that good any more.

Jerry

James Wisner
03-31-2008, 07:27 PM
The press is the 2nd generation one made by Corbin in the 80's, it has the reinforcing strap on one top side conecting the front to the rear.
They then made what they called the Silver press in the 90's, silver in color and a different handle.

The dies since they are the 7/8 x 14 thread are the "R" type dies with the matching punches to fit into a reloading press of suitable strength.

Great find.
Get a Corbin book, do some reading and have fun making bullets.

James Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

454PB
03-31-2008, 10:20 PM
Sorry if I ruined any deals. I just checked on the Corbin web site, the core mould sells now for $149, the jacket maker is $179, the various core seaters and point form dies go for anywhere from $179 to $229. I didn't see or even try to price the Corbin press, but it probably cost more than one of the dies.

georgeld
04-01-2008, 02:50 AM
Corbins has always been way out of reason on their prices. To me at least.
Yrs ago when I would have gotten into it they were $90 a set or so. Now they're asking triple that for the same stuff.

IF they were reasonable they'd sell 'em by the truck loads. Seems like they make 'em all themselves' one piece at a time and figure their times worth as much as a lawyers. Too bad they don't have CNC's to just kick back and watch 'em churn out parts they could sell where more of us could afford to buy them.

Good quality come's before the horse though.

James Wisner
04-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Corbins, neither Dave or Richard no longer offer this small press.

In the past month there has been 5 of these presses for sale on eBay, current market is in the $150 to $175 range.
The BSSP copy of this press sells new for $150, the last used one on eBay went for $113.50.

Richard Corbin (RCE) sells the jacket maker for about $70, last year he dropped the listing for the 7/8 x 14 "R" dies.

I lucked out about two weeks ago on eBay, a used BSSP press, and a complete 3 die set with all the punches for a .308 7 ojive bulet, core mould and a 1 1/2 tall stack of Corbin and BSS books for $280

James Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

georgeld
04-03-2008, 12:02 AM
many of the Corbin books can be downloaded and printed off n/c from their sites.

ksouthar
04-29-2008, 10:48 PM
I have this same press with dies as follows:

9mm pistol (several tip and base punches)
30 cal
7mm

30 to 7mm jacket reducing die

357 jacket trim die

What I really would like is a set for 22 cal (including the jacket making die) and sets for .270 and 8mm.

Anyone want to trade or just make an offer for all or part?

keith

bullet maker
05-03-2008, 08:05 AM
Talk about expensive!!! In the early 1970~s, I started buying Corbin stuff. Dont know if you remember way back then, but after you ordered your dies, presses etc. it took 2 years to get. Thats how far he was on back order stuff. But boy am I glad I got my stuff back then. Look at the prices today for the same stuff. Course, bout everything I bought is out dated now. but I can still make my bullets. LOL

bullet maker

Drilling Man
05-03-2008, 09:06 AM
I have numerous swage press', and at least one of them is like the one in the pict... I bought it new from Corbin...

Ted Smith of SAS came up with that design and improved on it over time, he then sold his swage mfg. business to Corbin, and that's how "they" got started.

Ted showed me a reloading press he designed and built BEFORE Fred Huntington came out with the "Rockchucker"... I'm telling you it was a hand made press that WAS the Rockchucker! He always told me that the RC was a "copy" of his design...as he had proof that he had it BEFORE Fred came out with the RC.

Ted was a great guy, i did him one big favor and he never forgot it, always having time for he and my crazy idea's...

DM

Pressman
05-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Drilling man,

I am a bit confused by your post that Ted Smith designed a reloading press that predates the Rockchucker. RCBS intro'd the Rockchucker in 1967. At that point they had been making reloading presses for 10 years! Actually, the Rockchucker is based upon the RCBS JR2 frame of 1957 with design concepts learned from the 6 RCBS models produced between 1947 and 1967. Prior to the first commercially produced press in 1947 Fred Huntington produced a very limited number or presses made of steel barstock. These are the welded frame presses Fred experimented with during the WWII time period that led to his entering the relaoding tool business.

For more information please email me.

Pressman

Drilling Man
05-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Drilling man,

I am a bit confused by your post that Ted Smith designed a reloading press that predates the Rockchucker. RCBS intro'd the Rockchucker in 1967. At that point they had been making reloading presses for 10 years! Actually, the Rockchucker is based upon the RCBS JR2 frame of 1957 with design concepts learned from the 6 RCBS models produced between 1947 and 1967. Prior to the first commercially produced press in 1947 Fred Huntington produced a very limited number or presses made of steel barstock. These are the welded frame presses Fred experimented with during the WWII time period that led to his entering the relaoding tool business.

For more information please email me.

Pressman

Let me try to explain further... Ted smith designed a press long before Fred Huntington did that is the spitting image, the origional RC became. (as i remember it "wasn't" called a RC at first) I wish i could remember the details better, as Ted told them to me. Actually, i spotted the press under a bench, and pulled it out... That's when Ted told me the whole story with the dates, and had notes to prove it... I believe he made it in the 40's, and over the years he showed it off to several people...

I'm sorry, i can't remember the details more clearly, but at the time it was very clear to me that Ted had what is now the Rockchucker design, first...

Ted designed a LOT of stuff, that went into production, that he never got creddit for... He's the one that came up with the idea of refilling printer ink cartridges, and he told me it's the only idea that he actually made some money at...

Ted probably would have given me that old press if i had asked for it...

DM

teddyblu
05-03-2008, 11:36 PM
I don't know about the presses but I have the last design of swage press.

I probably have the last set of dies that he produced, when I contacted him he told me he was out of the die business and as Drilling Man stated he was making the ribbon inker machines and had nine people working for him , this was in early 1984. He finaly said he would make me a set of dies, It took him nearly a year and I had to make monthly calls to get the dies.

I have the shipping carton and is quite unique in logo, says "If You want a Die we can Help"

I would post pic of the carton but I seem to fail at my attemps, If someone wanted to post it I would email it to them

Larry