PDA

View Full Version : A little "brand" information please

EOD3
07-28-2015, 06:43 PM
If you had it to do over again, which brand of dies and other miscellaneous equipment would you use?

Gofaaast
07-28-2015, 06:48 PM
RCBS has never let me down.

bandsmoyer
07-28-2015, 06:54 PM
I'll take LEE

M-Tecs
07-28-2015, 06:55 PM
1. Redding
2. Forster
3. RCBS

mold maker
07-28-2015, 07:12 PM
RCBS
LEE
Lyman

starnbar
07-28-2015, 07:21 PM
I have a variety of reloading equipment to include some brands no longer made and to tell the truth even with some old stuff given to me by men who reloaded 50 years before I started its all good equipment and there are some die and other things that every time I use them I can still remember when I got em and who gave them to me. Those people who gave me some of this equipment have long gone on to a better place but when I use them I can still hear what was told to me and its true (this is some of the best stuff you can buy).

retread
07-28-2015, 07:22 PM
I think I have used just about all the brands over the years. Redding is the top of the line but expensive. RCBS has been a good standard for years. Lee dies are good and a great value. I have some Dillon and like them for some of their unique features but again they are a little spendy. I have one Hornady set that I picked up recently. I have had no problems but I hear some say they are more towards the bottom in their estimation.

Gar
07-28-2015, 08:01 PM
If I had the money and had to replace all my dies, I go with Redding. The few sets I have are excellent. RCBS would be my second choice.

rush1886
07-28-2015, 08:36 PM
Can't, won't, argue. Redding dies are Bar None!

If I had the money and had to replace all my dies, I go with Redding. The few sets I have are excellent. RCBS would be my second choice.

Wayne Smith
07-28-2015, 08:41 PM
Frankly, if I had to do it all over again, I'd do it the way I did before, shop eBay and get used dies. RCBS are the most common, but Eagle, Bair, Krupp American, etc. were all good and I'd buy them again.

For the unusual/unavailable, CH4D all the way, even if they are not the best they are the only ones who will make custom dies any more that I know of.

M-Tecs
07-28-2015, 08:54 PM
For the unusual/unavailable, CH4D all the way, even if they are not the best they are the only ones who will make custom dies any more that I know of.

http://www.hornady.com/store/Custom-Dies-Category/

http://redding-reloading.com/online-catalog/38-custom-made-dies

http://leeprecision.com/full-length-sizing-dies/

http://www.forsterproducts.com/store.asp?pid=30223

http://www.neiljones.com/

http://www.warner-tool.com/reloading.htm

http://www.customreloadingtools.com/

http://www.keystoneaccuracy.com/customloadingdies.html

Thumbcocker
07-28-2015, 08:54 PM
I would love to be a good enough shot to be able to tell the difference in ammo loaded on different brands of dies.

Smoke4320
07-28-2015, 09:09 PM
1 Redding
2 RCBS
3 Dillon
4 hornady
5 lee
I own some of all of the above but mostly rcbs
Even have a few Lyman, pacific ch4d

454 shooter
07-28-2015, 09:18 PM
The first press that I bought was a Dillon 550 complete with Dillon dies and accessories. The second press that I bought was the cheapest that I could find to size bullets with Lee dies.
That press broke in short order and was replaced with a Star sizer. I didn't want to spend much to learn on.
As for molds, I started with Lee and replaced them with LBT.
Quality is expensive but it will last me and my children a couple of lifetimes.

Tom W.
07-28-2015, 09:26 PM
Redding, then RCBS. I like the RCBS molds, and all of my handgun dies are RCBS. The long gun dies are Redding and one Hornady.

Kent Fowler
07-28-2015, 09:37 PM
Redding

funnyjim014
07-28-2015, 09:58 PM
Rcbs for dies. Rcbs turret for rifle. Dillon 650 for volume pistol. Lyman 45 for rifle sizing and just upgraded to star for pistol...no regrets on any purchases. I favor steel molds made by rcbs

FISH4BUGS
07-29-2015, 02:52 PM
I don't have to start it over again, but here is what i recommend:
1) Moulds - Hensley & Gibbs or older SAECO's. Older 2 cavity RCBS are great also - just not enough output.
2) Star Sizer - period. I have used Lyman and vastly prefer Star
3) Dillon Press - had an RCBS Rockchucker for years
4) RCBS dies - but Redding and Dillon are good too
5) Forster Trimmer - unless I break down and buy a Dillon power trimmer
Good equiment means good reloads.

snowwolfe
07-29-2015, 03:40 PM
RCBS, Redding, or Hornady dies. Brand is not important to me and I will choose which set cost less.
Trimmers, same thing.

Started out with a RCBS Rock Chucker a long time ago but now consider the Forster Co-Ax the best press made except for reloading really long rounds like the Nitro Express stuff. For that I use the RCBS Ammo Master. I am sure other brands would be as good as the Ammo Master but it was priced right when I needed it.

jrap
07-29-2015, 04:08 PM
I love redding and Hornady dies

perotter
07-29-2015, 06:39 PM
I would love to be a good enough shot to be able to tell the difference in ammo loaded on different brands of dies.

As would most other shooters also.

PS.
I doubt any critter can tell the difference either.

EOD3
07-30-2015, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the input folks. RCBS seems to be pretty popular for both reloading dies and bullet molds. Most of my stuff is RCBS and Dillon but I also have a few "one-offs" that I picked up for specific purposes. I'm just starting to acquire casting equipment and I'd just as soon not get down the road and then find I've taken a wrong turn.

375supermag
08-01-2015, 09:39 AM
Hi...

I have been using RCBS dies ever since I gave up on Lee dies 35-40 years ago.

I recently bought a Hornady LNL progressive and am slowly getting it set up. I am using Hornady dies for the first couple of calibers just to see how they work.
I guess if I am going to be trying new things like progressive presses and a new polymer(M&P 40) handgun, I might as well try some new die sets as well.

My son and I are starting out on the LNL with .45ACP and once that is up and running well, we will go to .40S&W or 9mm. After that it will probably be .357Mag and then .38Spl. My son is talking about buying a 10mm autoloader, so we may have to set up for that before the revolver cartridges.

EOD3
08-02-2015, 03:28 PM
One of my sons purchased a Hornady LNL press a few years ago. He has since gotten rid of it because the settings tended to drift. I don't know what caused the problem but given that my son is smarter than the average bear, I'm pretty certain it wasn't user error.

leadman
08-02-2015, 06:51 PM
I have quite a few sets of Lee dies but their decision to eliminate the crimping function in the seating die has caused me to buy other brands, mostly RCBS of Hornady.
I do like the Lee turret presses and have both versions. I do expect these will wear out and have to be replaced. I do have an old RCBS Rockchucker that should outlast me.
The RCBS lead furnace is light years ahead of the LEE furnaces. Really do not like the fact Lee advertises their large pot as holding #20 when it only holds #15.5 of pure lead to the rim.
Lee molds work, most of the time. RCBS molds work everytime for me. I've tried a couple different brands of custom molds but have had issues with the size the boolits drop at.

Clay M
08-02-2015, 07:21 PM
I use RCBS, Redding, and Hornady. I have been very pleased with each.
Redding makes some really nice competition seating dies that I use for my target rifles.For serious target shooting I mostly use Redding.

Harter66
08-03-2015, 01:09 PM
I to have a hodge podge of tools . The jury is out on the Load Master still. There is no question that the RC and RCII are much better tools than the similar Lee press, 40 yr ago I worked with a Lyman crusher and it was equal maybe better than the RC .
Dies well ,I have Lee , RCBS, Lyman Pacific and CH . The Lyman is old stock as is obviously the Pacific which was bought by Hornady. The CH are a 38 special set and would be great if I shot jacketed but it is serviceable with some sacrifice and "misadjustment" to suit cast . I haven't used a new set of CH4D rifle dies yet but at just $75 over the $135 from RCBS for an obsolete custom cartridge die set it would get the nod .
Lee is serviceable tools that do what they are supposed to do cost effectively. With that said ,they aren't great for forming brass at least not my 222 set from 223. I have a love/ hate relationship with that decaping pin ....... no I mostly dislike it . The pistol FDC in a gifted set of 45 ACP dies has become a great sizer for an over sized 45 Colts to avoid the coke bottle effect.
To me , the RCBS ,Lyman and Pacific dies are a toss I can't imagine that the Redding or Sinclair dies are such a huge quality jump as to make me willing to spend $85 for a common cartridge set that RCBS stocks everywhere for $39 .
All totaled if money weren't a question RCBS would be the answer for presses and dies .
Moulds this is a tough 1 . I have old Lyman's (not enough to be Ideal) ,20 yo RCBS, Lee ,an LBT and NOE. The RCBS iron moulds are just pour ,open, twitch, close, repeat, but they're heavy and 2 cavity moulds and I seem to get them over heated just about the time I get a flow going. Just 1 LBT 2nd hand but it is amazing , it's look is off putting but function wins out by a long shot .
The Lyman moulds are mostly RB and mostly singles but the loaned 6.5 rifle mould comes in just 2nd to the RCBS rifle moulds while even in singles the Keith style boolits are great. Points off for volume , over heating and heavy.
NOE the 2 most difficult to get to talk to me are now resolved (all operator issues) they are all small cal rifle moulds in AL 4-5 cavities and once I hit the stride it is easy to stay in it and run the pot out with a low reject rate even for 22s I ran of over 180 keepers in 42 pours in a 5C 225-55 fp .
Lee w/o them I wouldn't be casting when I first looked at casting the moulds were $70 and up and all the must have tools just took it all out of reach and desire . Then I found that $22 delivered 452-255 and a 358-158 and could shoot them as cast....... the 358 is still with me ,the 452 went on its way when a 6C arrived . For pistol bullets in volume Lee is probably the answer for me the 3rd handle is good for extra points and as a rule (so far for me ,maybe I'm just lucky) they are easy to pour w/o having to change the pour sequence up every so many pours . Cost is a huge points maker . The small RB mould will take a hit from me . Not happy with either 1 of the 2 375s but it's a $20 mould so what am I going to cry about,nothing.

Overall ,cost out of the picture , I would still suggest Lee to get your feet wet . To replace it all ? RCBS for the <100 rd/yr NOE for volume and whoever for a particular design if you can't get it above.