PDA

View Full Version : OK, What an I forgetting to bring to Alaska!

bearcove
07-27-2015, 08:42 PM
I'm moving back! So what do you wish you could put on a truck coming north? Or a Boat? I been gone for a while so...

SharpsShooter
07-27-2015, 09:00 PM
If you shoot black powder, you'd be advised to stock up. I'm told that all they will ship is the fake stuff.

SS

Artful
07-27-2015, 09:07 PM
Moving - Money is always good to have :bigsmyl2:

Akheloce
07-27-2015, 09:16 PM
If you shoot black powder, you'd be advised to stock up. I'm told that all they will ship is the fake stuff.

SS

You can buy it up here- Goex

I would load up on any hazmat you can think of that is hard to come by... Bluing chemicals, your favorite gun cleaners that you can't get at the local shops, etc

Also, I've never known anyone NOT to make a profit on selling equipment trailers brought up. My brother hauled a 20' on a 24', and his stuff on top. Sold the 20' for a $2500 profit.

bearcove
07-27-2015, 09:23 PM
Have about 16 lbs BP and some loose change

bearcove
07-27-2015, 09:27 PM
My avatar is coming up on her bottom, her trailer loaded Lathe, milling mach, couple gang boxes full of stuff.ALL my TOOLS!

bearcove
07-27-2015, 09:40 PM
Moving - Money is always good to have :bigsmyl2:

I'm a welder, make the blue light and it comes!

thxmrgarand
07-28-2015, 03:28 PM
If it was me I would put a Boston Whaler in the back of the truck (or on the deck of any boat) - 13 feet, 11 feet, or one inside the other . They sell for much more in Alaska than in the Lower 48 (new or used), and the ones here are beat up whereas you can find them in lake country of the West that have never seen a rock. For that matter, I wouldn't pass up a couple good low-hour 2-cyle outboards that have only seen fresh water. New 4 cycle outboards cost a lot and weigh too much, although a 4 cycle kicker for trolling has some merit. There are some great duck-hunting boats that fit in a truck but cost a lot to ship here otherwise.

Powder and primers are subject to periodic shortages in my part of Alaska, and while we can bring a truck here on the ferry we mostly travel by airline.

Using the Alaska Marine Highway so as to avoid the Canucks is about mandatory given that the Canucks demand serial numbers on all firearms, and they have arcane rules about ammo, reloading components, etc. They left Dunkirk with their tails between their legs but they don't want to see an NRA bumpersticker on your truck.

Now that the airlines no longer let you check new tires on as baggage it costs a lot to ship tires into coastal Alaska. A capable waterfowl retriever and a comely housekeeper could always be considered.

That is all that comes to mind.

dougader
07-29-2015, 10:46 PM
Mosquito netting! And the trailer.

quasi
07-30-2015, 07:14 PM
If it was me I would put a Boston Whaler in the back of the truck (or on the deck of any boat) - 13 feet, 11 feet, or one inside the other . They sell for much more in Alaska than in the Lower 48 (new or used), and the ones here are beat up whereas you can find them in lake country of the West that have never seen a rock. For that matter, I wouldn't pass up a couple good low-hour 2-cyle outboards that have only seen fresh water. New 4 cycle outboards cost a lot and weigh too much, although a 4 cycle kicker for trolling has some merit. There are some great duck-hunting boats that fit in a truck but cost a lot to ship here otherwise.

Powder and primers are subject to periodic shortages in my part of Alaska, and while we can bring a truck here on the ferry we mostly travel by airline.

Using the Alaska Marine Highway so as to avoid the Canucks is about mandatory given that the Canucks demand serial numbers on all firearms, and they have arcane rules about ammo, reloading components, etc. They left Dunkirk with their tails between their legs but they don't want to see an NRA bumpersticker on your truck.

Now that the airlines no longer let you check new tires on as baggage it costs a lot to ship tires into coastal Alaska. A capable waterfowl retriever and a comely housekeeper could always be considered.

That is all that comes to mind.

it is a lot harder for a Canadian to bring firearms into the U.S., than it is for an American to bring firearms into Canada. Dunkirk? We were fighting in Europe almost 3 years before the U.S. joined the war, the same holds true for WW1.

Handloader109
07-30-2015, 07:22 PM
And your point is? If you guys had taken care of business, we could have stayed home :bigsmyl2:

Plate plinker
07-30-2015, 09:41 PM
How many trips do you plan to make?

starmac
07-30-2015, 10:24 PM
it is a lot harder for a Canadian to bring firearms into the U.S., than it is for an American to bring firearms into Canada. Dunkirk? We were fighting in Europe almost 3 years before the U.S. joined the war, the same holds true for WW1.

Part of that is WE have 50 different sets of gun laws to deal with, where you only have 1 set to deal with.
I get a kick out of people harping on how much trouble it is to transport firearms through Canada, when in reality it is easier and less restrictive than transporting them through all 50 states, or at least it was up until a year or so ago. As far as ammo, powder, and components, there is limits, but the limits but it isn't like you are limited to a hundred rounds or so, or a few pounds if you are flying. The barge lines has limits too.

bikerbeans
07-31-2015, 12:02 PM
You need to bring a film crew for your Alaskan "reality" show.:bigsmyl2:

BB

starmac
07-31-2015, 03:31 PM
You need to bring a film crew for your Alaskan "reality" show.:bigsmyl2:

BB

Noooooooooooo, we have enough of them already. lol
I picked up a young hitchiker the other day up close to galbrethm and carried him to prudhoe. He was from england and mentioned the ice road truckers was a popular show in England, also ask if I had ever driven on it. lol I told him he was on it now, and had been for several hundred miles, this is what it looks like in the summer. lol
Before we got to prudhoe, he commented on the fact that this part of the world wasn't much for scenery. lol
It was 2:30 in the morning when we got there, and 20 minutes later I was ready to leave, so I told him I could drop him off at one of the camps and he could get something to eat at meal time, he said he had seen enough and would just as soon ride back as far as he could. lol I did stop at the top of Atigun and let him take a picture or two. lol

thxmrgarand
07-31-2015, 04:14 PM
"it is a lot harder for a Canadian to bring firearms into the U.S., than it is for an American to bring firearms into Canada. "

I don't know if that is true - perhaps it is. But I do know that Bearcove is an American, and he can travel to Alaska without declaring anything about guns, powder, ammo, etc., and he need not give up any serial numbers unless he chooses to go through Canada. If he goes through Canada he will travel in no small part on Canuck roads PAID FOR BY AMERICAN TAXPAYERS yet he will have to give up his serial numbers (ironically just like he would have had he driven into Nazi Germany in the 1930's).

So I continue to recommend the Alaska Marine Highway; no limits on guns or ammo. No questions about the same when I use the state ferries. Avoid Canada altogether!

Gun laws here in Alaska allow that anyone who can legally touch a gun (basically anyone but a felon) can carry one open or concealed. It's my belief that we may have the strongest stand-your-ground-law in the United States. I believe that is considerably different from gun laws that apply to anyone - Canadians or Americans - in Canada. I frequently ask uniformed people - LEOs and people in the US Armed Forces - if they will be with us or against us if they are told (by BHO for example) to come take our guns. So far every one has said they will be fighting right alongside us to keep our guns out of the hands of government. I suspect that the answer would be different in Canada - a Canadian asking a Mountie for example - but I really have no idea. Possibly, a Canadian even asking that question of a Mountie might incur some legal problems. And yes, I believe the record at Dunkirk is directly related to contemporary conditions.

starmac
07-31-2015, 07:09 PM
For at least the last several years, you give up the serial numbers to your guns on the U.S.side before you ever get to canadians. It didn't used to be that way, but you are required to stop at the U.S. customs and fill out paperwork, with serial numbers, basically getting a permission slip to cross Canada with firearms. This didn't use to be the case, but the last several times I have crossed, you have to get the permission slip before entering Canada with any firearm.

Most of the folks I have known in the Yukon, pretty much has the same opinions of big government as I do.

thxmrgarand
07-31-2015, 08:16 PM
I have not entered Canada since the serial number requirement was instituted. Prior to that I enjoyed trapshooting in Fairbanks, Carcross and Whitehorse, but since my father and his brothers, and many other relatives fought in WWII I feel that tendering the serial numbers without putting up a fight would be disrespectful of their memories and I have stayed out of Canada. Prior to that my wife and I enjoyed shopping trips to the mall in Edmonton - or at least she enjoyed the shopping and I did not mind the drive.

I agree that whenever I talk to Yukies they hate their national and territorial governments. However, I would respect them much more if they did something about it. Thus far they have been sheep.

starmac
07-31-2015, 09:31 PM
Back to the op's question. Most stuff as you know is readily available here, at least in Kenai,los anchorage and farbanks areas, but there are some things that are next to impossible to get shipped up in consumer quantities. Anything hazardous, that can't be shipped by mail is hard to get, including some used for blueing, duracoat, etc. Even one of the ingredieants to finish stocks by Rogers method is unavailable. I would think about the things that tend to interest you and anything semi hamat you will use, bring it. If you want 22 ammo, and have some BRING it, I think it is showing up more often, but not in quantities to stay on the shelves over a day yet. The last few times I was in sportsmans, there have been plenty of primers, and lots of powder, but still short on some pistol powders.

ol skool
07-31-2015, 10:23 PM
Deet!

starmac
07-31-2015, 11:43 PM
LMAO. I keep a bottle of 100% deet in every rig I own, whether I drive it often or not. I picked up a new to me four wheeler last week, and another bottle of deet. lol

It is readily available here, but usually once a year all mosquito dope disappears from all stores for a week or two and people are begging for it, I can't understand this, anyone that lives here knows they will eventually need it, and maybe in a bad way.

MaryB
08-01-2015, 12:51 AM
Beginning of summer I buy 6 bottles of deet(98. something %), by first snow I am usually close to out. Have gone through a lot this summer, been wet and the mosquitoes have been bad news.

starmac
08-01-2015, 03:04 AM
I don't use much, but when I need it, it is a lifesaver. I stopped on top of Atigun pass a while back to single out a tire. The place is windy, and not a blade of grass for a couple of miles, but the mosquitos like to eat me up before I could get back to the cab and get some deet. I couldn't belive it, no reason at all for them to be up there.

jonp
08-02-2015, 07:52 AM
For at least the last several years, you give up the serial numbers to your guns on the U.S.side before you ever get to canadians. It didn't used to be that way, but you are required to stop at the U.S. customs and fill out paperwork, with serial numbers, basically getting a permission slip to cross Canada with firearms. This didn't use to be the case, but the last several times I have crossed, you have to get the permission slip before entering Canada with any firearm.

Most of the folks I have known in the Yukon, pretty much has the same opinions of big government as I do.

It used to be free to transport through Canada but now you have to pay a per gun fee I think. Not much but Starmac about covers it. It is not hard to do this and Canadians don't care much unless you try a handgun or hollow point ammo/handgun ammo. DO NOT DO THIS

starmac
08-03-2015, 12:43 AM
Actually have not had them ask me what kind of ammo I had, just how much.
The first time I took guns through, the permit was only good for 3 guns, but was good for a year. That changed to where you could list many guns on one permit, but it was only good for one trip.

IIRC something changed last year, you might have to have them preapproved or something now, but that might have been just for guns to use within Canadas borders.
I would check currant laws before I headed to the border.