PDA

View Full Version : I was up the road

44man
07-27-2015, 01:31 PM
to visit a neighbor and he told me the woman across the road sold her walnut trees. Some reached 4' in diameter with almost no white wood. Straight trunks very high. She took $150 each.
You are looking at $30,000 veneer trees.
Well she is a liberal so I have little to say.

white eagle
07-27-2015, 01:38 PM
wow crazy
should have seen what the current market price was

Hardcast416taylor
07-27-2015, 01:41 PM
They`ll probably be ending up as firewood this Winter!. Several years back a friend called me up asking if I wanted some black walnut wood. I eagerly answered !YES! He brought me 4 pieces of split trunk walnut that would fit in a wood stove. I used some of it, but was hoping for some larger and longer pieces.Robert

44man
07-27-2015, 02:52 PM
Dang, I hit I instead of U since my board is worn out.
I might get at her in E mail since we had many arguments over the years about democrats.
NO, I will leave it go.

pworley1
07-27-2015, 03:11 PM
The stumps alone were worth much more than that each.

country gent
07-27-2015, 03:20 PM
There are scam artists and con men in every industry. There are those looking "to hit a home run " to qoute Pawn Stars on history channel. Good useable walnut is hard to find and some will even take Yard trees for it and some other hard woods, but not many will. Some off these guys travel looking for trees quite a distance and offer pennies on the dollar for them.

GOPHER SLAYER
07-27-2015, 03:52 PM
I will add this to the warning. If you don't get paid before the trees are cut, the chances are you won't get it at all. Sometime the cutters don't bother to ask. If they can find a landowner who has gone on vacation for two or three weeks they will cut the trees and split, leaving the trash for the landowner to clean up.

garym1a2
07-27-2015, 07:34 PM
I would warn the neighbor, even if she's a diehard Oama fan.
I might get at her in E mail since we had many arguments over the years about democrats.
NO, I will leave it go.

jonp
07-27-2015, 07:37 PM
Up near my camp was a nice spot of Black Cherry. 3ft through with at least 3 logs straight before branches. I watched them for quite some time waiting for one to tip over and it finally did. Before I got back to it the guys in the camp just beyond the road one fell across came up, cut it up and split it for firewood. I almost cried.

jonp
07-27-2015, 07:38 PM
I will add this to the warning. If you don't get paid before the trees are cut, the chances are you won't get it at all. Sometime the cutters don't bother to ask. If they can find a landowner who has gone on vacation for two or three weeks they will cut the trees and split, leaving the trash for the landowner to clean up.
I knew that to happen to a nice lady not far from me. Loggers came in to cut her land. They cut all of the Cherry and then left leaving the rest.

jonp
07-27-2015, 07:39 PM
NO, I will leave it go.

Don't. No one deserves to be used like that. At least let her know the value before they start cutting. Once it's on the ground it's too late.

KCSO
07-27-2015, 07:44 PM
Friend called from C/ B Iowa a few years back. The city is cutting down a load of walnut trees do you want the wood. Don't have to ask me twice>>> He brought me a whole truck load...cut to 18" lengths and split for BURNING???

44man
07-28-2015, 09:47 AM
I had trees fall in the woods and using my chain saw mill I cut planks. Made a wonderful gun stock from cherry and a pie safe and coffee table from white oak.
I still have walnut, cherry and oak in the barn.
The back fascia board rotted and I made the whole 64' from ash. Made my trailer box from ash.
This is what you get if you treat wood right. 145494

BrassMagnet
07-28-2015, 10:28 AM
Don't. No one deserves to be used like that. At least let her know the value before they start cutting. Once it's on the ground it's too late.

I believe part of our nation's problems stem from our belief the liberals are not our enemy.
They treat us as the enemy and cause us all of the evil they can.
I would not stoop to their level, but I would prosecute and demand severe punishment for every crime they commit.
I would not wish them evil because that kind of life ruins your own life.
However, it is perfectly acceptable to laugh heartily when they screw up through their own native stupidity!

M-Tecs
07-28-2015, 10:37 AM
I believe part of our nation's problems stem from our belief the liberals are not our enemy.
They treat us as the enemy and cause us all of the evil they can.
I would not stoop to their level, but I would prosecute and demand severe punishment for every crime they commit.
I would not wish them evil because that kind of life ruins your own life.
However, it is perfectly acceptable to laugh heartily when they screw up through their own native stupidity!

Very true.

Hardcast416taylor
07-28-2015, 11:02 AM

Very true! I knew a fella that would follow logging crews here abouts and remove these stumps and sell them to a custom furniture maker. He showed me a picture of an coffee table of the stump upside down with the roots holding the glass top. This was in mid 1970 and the price was $1500!Robert

44man
07-28-2015, 11:50 AM
I have a lot of experience with liberals. I never knew so many were here but they bothered me every day, not once a week or month. Mower won't start, faucet leaks, toilet does not work and on and on.
The woman that sold the wood called that her mower was scalping, I said the tires are flat, put air in them. How stupid can you get? I never got a thing for the work. One said I could cut firewood but she wanted half and wanted me to bring my splitter, split and stack hers.
Others here let me cut wood and hunt so I help them and they will come to help me when needed but liberals will never show up.
I will help anyone but there is a fine line between where they EXPECT it or appreciate it.
It took me a long time to get liberals off my back. I did it by cussing Obumbler and the health care junk.

John Allen
07-28-2015, 11:56 AM
The local park took down a 36 inch diameter one that is now just sitting and rotting away. They are not allowed to sell it. You have to love how government works.

Freightman
07-28-2015, 12:34 PM
darn all we have here is Siberian elms good for crushing houses

Wayne Smith
07-28-2015, 04:17 PM
Not just the stump. The tap root goes down 10' to 15' and has some beautiful lumber. Get a back hoe and be ready to dig!

winchester85
07-28-2015, 08:07 PM
i have run many "yard" trees through my sawmill. a virtual guarantee that there will be nails, screws, wire, and other items to destroy blades. might still get some good lumber, but hardly veneer trees. hit a nail with those knives and that log became very expensive, and trash!

44man
07-29-2015, 09:42 AM
i have run many "yard" trees through my sawmill. a virtual guarantee that there will be nails, screws, wire, and other items to destroy blades. might still get some good lumber, but hardly veneer trees. hit a nail with those knives and that log became very expensive, and trash!
These trees were back in the woods, no fences near them. Thick enough to grow straight. They were as prime as you can find.

garandsrus
07-29-2015, 12:59 PM
A storm knocked over a walnut tree and it fell into my yard. I had the trunk milled and it is waiting to be kiln dried. The diameter was about 34", 4 1/2 feet from the stump. I ended up with two logs that are 12' each with no knots. Should be some very nice wood.