PDA

View Full Version : Too rich for my blood.

rollmyown
07-26-2015, 12:11 AM
I just paid almost $210 AUD for a 4 cavity brass mold. That hurts. It's not the mold maker scalping me. It's the poor exchange rate of the AUD against the Euro and the USD.

I think I just lived through the golden age of opportunity and didn't fully appreciate it at the time.
2 or 3 years ago 1 AUD bought $1.10 US, now it's buying less than 73 cents.

Not to worry, I've got plenty to play with and I may want more but am lucky not to need more.

I'm in for one more group buy, I just hope it closes before I have to sell a kidney to pay for it.

sthwestvictoria
07-26-2015, 03:39 AM
Yes, our halcyon days have passed for buying from the US.
Would you be able to buy your mould from David at Cast Bullet Engineering in QLD?

i did very well however when the AUD was strong and have no real needs currently. I am just going to try and do without or wait for second hand gear to come up.

Mal Paso
07-26-2015, 11:29 AM
Might be time for me to buy a Lucas Sawmill and send some USD your way.

mongoose33
07-26-2015, 11:43 AM
Never say never.

The US Dollar is simply the cleanest dirty shirt in the laundry. I wouldn't be surprised to find Ketchup suddenly spilled all over it. If the US Stock market crashes, you might see a huge exodus from the dollar, which would (hopefully for you :) ) result in a better exchange rate.

Just keep your eye on what you'd like to purchase and keep your powder dry.

Here ends the overuse of metaphor. :)

rollmyown
07-26-2015, 11:30 PM
Might be time for me to buy a Lucas Sawmill and send some USD your way.

Those Lucas Mills are great. They make a lot of construction timber fast.

quasi
07-30-2015, 07:19 PM
The Canuck buck has collapsed as well. The bill for my last N.O.E. mould with exchange was shocking compared to a year or two ago.

Hawks Feather
07-30-2015, 08:02 PM
If you want things to turn around just let me try to sell something of value. The US market will crash and I will get a third of what I thought. I can remember going to Canada as a kid and getting 80¢ for my dollar. The part I never understood was when I came back to the border they would say that the Canadian bills that I had were worth $1.05. I guess it depended on which direction you were going. I finally just starting converting both before and after our trip at my local bank and didn't have to wonder after that. All kidding aside, it is nice, to those of us living in the US, to have the US dollar worth more.