PDA

View Full Version : PID works - Thanks to folks here

RegisG
07-23-2015, 01:51 PM
Well, with all the help and tips here I bought and assembled my PID controller. It's not pretty like some and I will probably find a new housing. Had problem with the actual temperature acting odd when I tried a lamp and set temp low. Well hooked up my small Lee through it and the temperature would go down and set alarm (should have set alarm in my head). Dug out the directions which didn't help me putting this together but, the was an error code when alarm kicked off. Leads reversed....duh... Opened it up and reversed the thermocouple leads. Works fine now and does exactly what it is supposed to. Some overshoot but, that is shrinking.
I've seen some folks post about learn mode but, I have not found anything specific.

Thanks to all that plow these trails first and post all the helpful info.

Regis

RobS
07-23-2015, 03:05 PM
PIDs are a nice tool to have and I've enjoyed mine for both my lead pot as well as my convection oven. It isn't a must as countless boolits have been cast throughout time without them however once you use one it's a welcomed addition. A lot of PIDs have a learn function that will cycle a few times with an overshoot and an undershoot to configure the heating and the cooling of the pot. Have fun casting!!!

Mike W1
07-23-2015, 10:34 PM
Quoting Frozone's manual and he used MyPin units I believe.
"Auto Tuning the Controller

Auto Tuning can be done repeatedly, It does not harm the unit.

With everything plugged in, alloy in the pot, and the unit on.
Set the desired temperature.

Press and Hold 'AT" for at least 3 seconds, or until the "AT" LED lights.

When the "AT" LED extinguishes, the unit is trained."