PDA

View Full Version : Lee Mold Woes, Part Two

marshhawk
07-23-2015, 01:15 PM
A few days ago I posted about problems I was having with one of two cavity's in a lee 105 gr. SWC mold, several of you cast boolit members contributed information on how to correct the problem, I took your advise and upon slightly loosening the sprue plate screw, the mold is now dropping perfect bullets every time, I made my adjustment and ran a few hundred this morning. I posted this to Thank All who responded to my questions!
Thank You, Marshhawk

bedbugbilly
07-23-2015, 01:19 PM
Glad it worked out for you Marshhawk - nothing like a mold which "runs well". The 105 is a fun little boolit. Good luck for continued success!

Ben
07-23-2015, 01:26 PM
By the way, your problem you experienced and corrected could have easily occurred with 8 other brands of bullet molds also.

The air has got to be able to escape and molten alloy is coming into the mold, regardless of who makes the mold.

Ben

melloairman
07-23-2015, 11:10 PM
A few days ago I posted about problems I was having with one of two cavity's in a lee 105 gr. SWC mold, several of you cast boolit members contributed information on how to correct the problem, I took your advise and upon slightly loosening the sprue plate screw, the mold is now dropping perfect bullets every time, I made my adjustment and ran a few hundred this morning. I posted this to Thank All who responded to my questions!
Thank You, Marshhawk
There is normally more than one way to cure the problem .And I am glad it worked out . I never loosen the pivot screw on Lee molds any more . I run them as delivered and have no galling or nipples on the base of my bullets from a lose plate . What I do with my bottom pour is run the lead into the cutter hole on the very out side of the largest part of the hole which allows the air to come out as the lead goes in . Eliminates the set screw mod and the loosening of the pivot screw .Marvin

marshhawk
07-24-2015, 08:04 AM
Thanks Again, for the help!
Marshhawk

44man
07-25-2015, 08:24 AM
Don't you guys just hate the self tapping screws? I usually replace them with machine screw and a set screw to hold them. I drop a clipping from electric wire in the set screw hole so as not to damage threads.