PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Carry Across the Canadian Border

Virginia John
07-23-2015, 12:15 PM
I am planning a driving trip to Canada and was wondering if I could take my concealed carry weapon with me, I have a permit. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this?

Nueces
07-23-2015, 12:25 PM
This is a start: http://www.canadawelcomesyou.net/firearms.html

Short answer is "No"

Do a Google search for "handguns crossing into Canada."

Gunor
07-23-2015, 12:27 PM
No - Not even in your vehicle...pistol

Outpost75
07-23-2015, 12:29 PM
Canada has no legal concealed carry for civilians. The "Travelers Guide to the Firearm Laws of the 50 States" says "Canada prohibits the importation of any handgun without an Authorization to Transport (ATT). These ATTs are rarely issued to Americans and are given to Canadiens on a highly discretionary basis. Travelers without an ATT who attempt to enter Canada with handguns will have their weapons confiscated, their vehicles impounded and could face prosecution. Securely casing the handgun and stowing it in the trunk will not prevent seizure. Mere possession of a handgun anywhere in a vehicle without an ATT is illegal."

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/rightsandfreedoms/a/gunstocanada.htm

Approval of the Non-Resident Firearms Declaration allows only standard rifles and shotguns commonly used for hunting and target shooting to be transported into or through Canada.

Handguns with at least 4-inch barrels are considered "restricted" firearms and are allowed in Canada, but require the completion an approval of an Application for an Authorization to Transport Restricted Firearms. (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form-formulaire/num-nom/679-eng.htm)This Non-Resident Firearm Declaration costs $50 Canadian.

Handguns with barrels shorter than 4-inches, fully automatic, converted automatics, and assault-type weapons are "prohibited" and not allowed in Canada. In addition, certain knives, even those used for hunting and fishing, may be considered prohibited weapons by Canadian officials.

Other Things You Need to Know
In all cases, travelers must declare to Canadian Customs authorities any firearms and weapons in their possession when entering Canada. There are often facilities near border crossings where weapons may be stored, pending the traveler's return to the United States, but this should be done before attempting to enter Canada.

Canadian law (http://canadaonline.about.com/cs/law/a/legalinfo.htm) requires that officials seize firearms and weapons from persons crossing the border who deny having them in their possession.Seized firearms and weapons are never returned.

By far the easiest way to transport firearms is to have them crated and shipped to your destination via a commercial carrier.

NSB
07-23-2015, 12:30 PM
I am planning a driving trip to Canada and was wondering if I could take my concealed carry weapon with me, I have a permit. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this?

Your permit is good for where it was issued. I can't even imagine why you'd think you could use it in Canada. It's not even valid in most states in this country. You get caught at customs with a handgun you might as well file for Canadian citizenship because you're probably going to be there a while.

Electric88
07-23-2015, 01:18 PM
Most states honor reciprocity of concealed carry permits, so long as you verify and abide by the laws of the state you are in concerning concealed carry. However, like it has already been said here, you are asking for a very bad trip if you show up at the border with a handgun

DougGuy
07-23-2015, 01:35 PM
Carry it to the border, go to the bus station and rent a locker, put the gun in the locker and retrieve it when you come back across.

NavyVet1959
07-23-2015, 01:43 PM
I can't even imagine why you'd think you could use it in Canada. It's not even valid in most states in this country.

Because we call Canada our 51st state? :)

NavyVet1959
07-23-2015, 01:51 PM
I have crossed the border a few times in a car and was waved through both on crossing into Canada and back into the US. Now, whether I had a gun with me at the time, I guess I'll just take the 5th on that. They don't check every car and person, but if they did check you, you would probably end up losing a bit of money on the process.

Of course, it's possible to drive to Alaska and bypass Canada via the Alaskan Maritime Highway system (i.e. ferries).

Finster101
07-23-2015, 01:55 PM
In 2010 I rode the bike to Alaska via the top of the world highway and camped quite a bit. There were four of us, we all bought flare guns and it was right next to my sleeping bag every night.

NSB
07-23-2015, 01:56 PM
Most states honor reciprocity of concealed carry permits, so long as you verify and abide by the laws of the state you are in concerning concealed carry. However, like it has already been said here, you are asking for a very bad trip if you show up at the border with a handgun

If you're using the word "most" meaning a majority, this is incorrect. Most states DO NOT have across the board reciprocity with other states. Anyone who thinks that's true is going to get into some trouble some day that won't be easily gotten out of. Statements like this given on the internet are worth every you paid for them. Check the states you'll be traveling through to see if they honor before leaving home. The word "most" is pretty vague, it doesn't tell which ones will and which ones won't. Typical internet "facts".

starmac
07-23-2015, 01:59 PM
Canada customs always ask if you have any firearms. They will generally tell you that you are in no trouble if you tell declare you have it, they will not let you in with a hand gun, but do not consfiscate or prosecute if you declare you have it, now if you claim you don't and they find it, it is a WHOLE new ballgame.

Finster101
07-23-2015, 02:03 PM
Might be a good excuse to buy a Kel-Tec shotgun, after all it does fit nicely in my tour-pack.

NavyVet1959
07-23-2015, 02:14 PM
One thing that I noticed in Canada though was that it seems that all the shooting ranges were private gun clubs. I never saw a public range. I suspect that if you drove far enough north, you could go shoot in the frozen tundra without being a member of a gun club. :)

Now, having said that, some people do go up there for IDPA and such competitions at the gun clubs. From what I understand, do it legally, you have to have a written invitation though and fill out the appropriate forms (and pay the government).

Ickisrulz
07-23-2015, 03:06 PM
If you're using the word "most" meaning a majority, this is incorrect. Most states DO NOT have across the board reciprocity with other states. Anyone who thinks that's true is going to get into some trouble some day that won't be easily gotten out of. Statements like this given on the internet are worth every you paid for them. Check the states you'll be traveling through to see if they honor before leaving home. The word "most" is pretty vague, it doesn't tell which ones will and which ones won't. Typical internet "facts".

I always check when traveling to verify what the laws are in the states I am going through. But, if you are from a "shall issue" state and are going through other "shall issue" states you will find your CHL is good in most of them. It's those states next to the oceans you have to watch out for.

waksupi
07-23-2015, 04:11 PM
I have a Canadian Purchase and Acquisition License, and also restricted and non-restricted licenses. To take a handgun in to Canada, I must first contact the Provincial Firearm Officer in each Province I would be traveling through, British Columbia and Alberta in my case. I would have to be able to show a notification from a registered shooting range with a scheduled shoot. The gun would need to be in a locked case, and never be left unattended.
I found it is easier for me to go to Canada with my long guns, and borrow a hand gun for competition.

bearcove
07-23-2015, 04:24 PM
I been through a few times. Handguns are a NO_NO we even got put in a room and questioned about my wifes Mace/bear spray. It was forgotten and had a date 5 yrs past so they didn't fine her.

Ship or fly with Canada prohibited stuff.

Char-Gar
07-23-2015, 04:31 PM

When you get out of jail in Canada, take your pistol and permit to Mexico and see if they will honor it. You might as well go for the total North American jail experience.

Blacksmith
07-23-2015, 04:39 PM

Maryland Recognizes NO permits from other states except for on duty armored car guards. They have police cars with license plate readers so if your state flags you have a permit you might get pulled over, it has happened. Maryland is a MAY issue state that requires a "Good and Substantial Reason" to get a permit. The state police decides on what permits to issue so very few are granted. If you transport through Maryland be certain you follow all federal rules and don't stop in Maryland.

Washington DC is even worse you can be arrested for having one empty brass cartridge case in your car. People in the area do a brass check before going to DC. And one short section of the Washington DC beltway is actually part of the district.

bearcove
07-23-2015, 04:59 PM
Maryland Recognizes NO permits from other states except for on duty armored car guards. They have police cars with license plate readers so if your state flags you have a permit you might get pulled over, it has happened. Maryland is a MAY issue state that requires a "Good and Substantial Reason" to get a permit. The state police decides on what permits to issue so very few are granted. If you transport through Maryland be certain you follow all federal rules and don't stop in Maryland.

Washington DC is even worse you can be arrested for having one empty brass cartridge case in your car. People in the area do a brass check before going to DC. And one short section of the Washington DC beltway is actually part of the district.

I don't go east of the mississippi river. Cops are A holes east of there.

Florida is the exception cause my mom and dad live there in winter and the fishing ain't bad. Yeah I usually fly!

Virginia John
07-23-2015, 05:05 PM
I thank DougGuy for the best advice. I had "Landed Immigrant" status in Canada many years ago and did go shooting in private clubs up there.

Handloader109
07-23-2015, 05:34 PM
I don't go east of the mississippi river. Cops are A holes east of there.

Florida is the exception cause my mom and dad live there in winter and the fishing ain't bad. Yeah I usually fly!

Now just wait a minute there! There are a few really good States East of the river that have been on the forefront of CCW and your 2nd ammendment rights....how are you able to get to FL by car Otherwise. Now when you cross the Ohio river going north, your real close to danger :bigsmyl2:

Ickisrulz
07-23-2015, 05:34 PM
Carry it to the border, go to the bus station and rent a locker, put the gun in the locker and retrieve it when you come back across.

Do you suppose that is legal in all localities? I would find a gun shop and leave it with them for cleaning or something else.

NavyVet1959
07-23-2015, 05:35 PM
All in all though, I figure that there are plenty of places where I can freeze my *** off in the US without having to go to Canada to do it.

bdicki
07-23-2015, 05:41 PM
http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

762 shooter
07-23-2015, 05:44 PM
Twenty years ago my elderly parents were going to drive through Canada to get to Alaska. My brother and I were concerned that they needed something to protect themselves. Handguns were a BIG NO-NO.

It seems that a 18" pistol gripped 12 gauge pump was perfectly innocuous and quite legal.

I don't know if post 911 is the same but we felt a lot better about their trip with a declared 12 pump in the closet.

bearcove
07-23-2015, 06:30 PM
Barrel length and overall length are different in CN. Main thing now is you need a permit to transport before you show up at customs. Don't just show up with your LEGAL stuff.

MrWolf
07-23-2015, 06:49 PM

A few recent cases in this lovely state of NJ where folks were arrested for informing officers they had a firearm upon being pulled over. They followed the rules of their state. Governor finally stepped in on a few of them and had them released but that was probably due to him wanting to be the next President.

Rick Hodges
07-23-2015, 06:54 PM
I once shot in an Ontario Provincial Police invitational match.....we were a four officer's who were invited and you wouldn't believe the hoops we had to jump through to bring across a few PPC revolvers. Even with all the permits and paperwork in order, the Canadian Customs were having a conniption fit....I think we were the first to cross with handguns in their entire careers.

I used to duck hunt in Ontario each fall and had no problem with Canadian customs with long guns. I was hassled at the US border though. (this was before the Canadians enacted that registration fee) We had to fill out a form before leaving the US to declare our weapons and valuables..US customs want to charge you duty on them when you come back if you don't have that done.

Beef15
07-23-2015, 06:59 PM
Details have been covered, here's an experience. 3 crossings/transits, first two no prob, had properly filled out declaration forms, they didn't even look at the firearms (long guns). Third, no firearms, they did a very thorough search including some vehicle disassembly, asking everytime they moved something if they'd find a firearm in/under. I guess my name flags now as a firearm owner. Loading my stuff back up sucked.

Another tidbit, there are misdemeanors in the US that can preclude being granted entry, require in depth court documentation, or more.

If you decide to keep a long gun with you peruse the laws pertaining to ammo/gun storage etc. It isn't like the US at all.

NoZombies
07-23-2015, 07:56 PM

My permit is good in 37 states. That qualifies as most in my book.

Kent Fowler
07-23-2015, 11:09 PM
When you get out of jail in Canada, take your pistol and permit to Mexico and see if they will honor it. You might as well go for the total North American jail experience.

Had a good friend who went across with his daughter just to sight see for a bit. He said he was doing o.k. with the inspections until the Canadian Customs people found a box of .380 rounds then the search really became intense and they found the pistol. He got arrested, but at least they let his daughter drive the Suburban(which belonged to his lawyer) back across. A customs officer told him that if he had not had a Texas plate on the car, they probably wouldn't have inspected it so thoroughly. Cost him about 3 grand a 3 days in jail to get out.

MtGun44
07-23-2015, 11:16 PM
CCW permits are widely honored in the USA. Only the fascist states like HI, Kalifornia, Oregon,Illinois, NJ, NY,
Mass, RI, Maryland, Conn, NH, and Maine in the far west and the NE do not honor any out of state permits.
Of the 51 states, only 12 are a problem with a KS CCW license, so it is safe to say "in the overwhelming
majority of states you are OK". FAR more US states (39) DO honor your out of state CCW than do not.

Of course, Canada..... forget it.

Bill

reloader28
07-23-2015, 11:24 PM

Same for me.

oldcanadice
07-24-2015, 12:06 PM
DO NOT carry that gun into New York if you are planning to cross into Ontario at Niagara Falls. If you are caught in possession we may never hear from you again on this site, and that is not a joke. NY recognizes nothing from nobody. In rural western NY it has the nickname "The Communist State of New York", and for good reason.

44man
07-25-2015, 01:08 PM
Canada is so bad when we flew in with bows, my friend was yanked aside because his bow case looked like a gun case. I would NOT try to take a handgun in.

Outpost75
07-25-2015, 01:41 PM
....Washington DC is even worse you can be arrested for having one empty brass cartridge case in your car. People in the area do a brass check before going to DC. And one short section of the Washington DC beltway is actually part of the district.

DC is worse than that. The cops have "sniffers" and if sampling the air in your vehicle, if they detect ANY aerosol residue of explosives, drugs, alcohol, ammonium nitrate fertilizer, etc. they will use that as probable cause to tear your car apart and detain you.

Even if you have a badge from a surrounding state, DO NOT drive your POV into DC if you carry firearms and ammo back and forth to a shooting range in it, or transported bags of fertilizer for your lawn or garden, even if the car is empty and you have vacuumed it!

Tenbender
07-25-2015, 03:09 PM
Don't even use you carry permit as an ID unless you want to spend 7 or 8 hours at customs while they tear your car apart. I made that mistake , before passport's were required. I was in a 18 wheeler and they ask for two ID's. I spent 8 hours in customs. They had more life history on me than my mother knew. Be cool and say the least you can get by with.

Tenbender
07-25-2015, 03:12 PM
CCW permits are widely honored in the USA. Only the fascist states like HI, Kalifornia, Oregon,Illinois, NJ, NY,
Mass, RI, Maryland, Conn, NH, and Maine in the far west and the NE do not honor any out of state permits.
Of the 51 states, only 12 are a problem with a KS CCW license, so it is safe to say "in the overwhelming
majority of states you are OK". FAR more US states (39) DO honor your out of state CCW than do not.

Bill

I must be behind the curve. What state became 51 ?

MarkP
07-25-2015, 04:05 PM

Bill

Minnesota does not honor the NE CCW

B.C.Jay
07-25-2015, 09:22 PM
Hey guys,
Also, any handgun with a barrel less than 4 inches up here is prohib. Different rules again. I think you'd be further to ahead to be caught with a couple kilo's of cocaine.

MT Gianni
07-25-2015, 11:21 PM
You are fine if the province that issued your permit is where you will be. If a State did it it is not good for another Country.

dakotashooter2
07-25-2015, 11:34 PM

Your permit may allow you to carry but you still have to follow THEIR laws for carry. So if you can carry in a place prohibited by the state you are visiting but permitted in your home state you still may get in trouble.
I won't even chance crossing the border. I have not had even a traffic ticket in the last 30 years yet the last 3 times I crossed the border they searched my vehicle..