PDA

View Full Version : New Henry Big Boy steel frame

FergusonTO35
07-23-2015, 09:54 AM
Well my next gun purchase is going to be the Henry H012 Big Boy steel frame in .357. I've been hoping they would come out with a pistol caliber lever action that doesn't weigh a ton and Henry delivered. I checked it out at the fun store and the H012 is really sharp, I would take it over a late model Marlin or Winchester for sure. I contacted Henry asking about twist, groove size, and the scope mount hole spacing. They responded less than 24 hours later:

Thank you for your interest in Henry. The rate of twist is 1:16, the groove dia. Is .354 +/- .0015 and the bore dia. is .345 +/- .0015. The holes drilled on the top are not the same as a marlin hole spacing. If you are looking for a good aftermarket rear sight for it check outwww.skinnersights.com (http://www.skinnersights.com/)

Looks like standard .357 boolits might be a winner, which is good news because that is what I size all my .38's to. I bet the H012 will really like the new Lee C358-200-RF. I'm saving for one, already have a special envelope started!

northmn
07-23-2015, 09:59 AM
1-16 twist is a the same as on the 35 Remington and would stabilize your 200 grain bullet. Skinner sights are good but Williams also makes sights that fit into the rear scope mount holes. I enjoy my Rossi 357 a great deal but it has a slower twist which does not bother me as the 158 grain bullets work fine. Enjoy the rifle. I like the steel frame Henry's better as they are a bit lighter weight over the brass ones.

DP

Jeff82
07-23-2015, 04:15 PM
I had the opportunity to handle a 357 Henry the other day. I was really impressed by the quality and the smoothness of the action. I shoot a Marlin 1894C, which I've done a lot of work on to improve the action. I don't know how the Henry shoots, but the out-of-the-box quality far surpasses my Marlin.

FergusonTO35
07-24-2015, 08:35 AM
My 70's 1894C is a quality carbine that shoots lights out with just about any load. I'd rather not punish it with stout loads but just enjoy it with medium power ammo, maybe .38-40 power level. The Henry is a bit larger, comes with a recoil pad already installed, and has a tighter bore so it should be a winner with strong .357's. If I ever have a problem I know Henry will make it right. They are the ne plus ultra of a gun company that does things the right way. Remlin or whoever might own/manufacture Marlin in the future, who knows?

rancher1913
07-24-2015, 10:11 PM
I've got several of the golden boys and love them. yes they are on the heavy side. may have to find of of these and check it out.

Lefty Red
07-27-2015, 12:40 AM
I like the BBs, but my 357 was sent to Henry three time! Henry fixed it on their dime, and I even got a gunsmith to tell me why I was having such a time cycling the action and loading. Seems that the 357s loading parts were just "finicky" due the rifle being built on for the 45/44. Don't get me wrong, I will be one of the first to stand in line to get the steel framed 357, but I will be leery of it.

Jerry

Hannibal
07-27-2015, 02:24 AM
I have a 'Golden Boy' .357 and I am less than impressed with the barrel. I have found that if a full tube of even mild .357 loads is run thru in 95 degree heat at a 100 yd target that after 3 rounds the POI will start stringing low at a rate of 1" per shot until it is off POA 5". Let it cool down and it returns to zero.

NOT what I was expecting from a heavy hex barrel.

It is nice to look at, and the action is butter smooth. YMMV.

Tatume
07-27-2015, 07:19 AM
The barrel is octagonal (eight sided), not hexagonal (six sided).

Hannibal
07-27-2015, 10:30 AM
Yeah, my bad. Long day. :oops:

FergusonTO35
07-27-2015, 11:25 AM
Hmm, I have read that lever guns seem to go one of two ways. POA stays put no matter what or the slightest variation throws it off. All of mine seem to stay put, however my standard procedure when shooting for group has always been three shots then cool off for a few minutes. What kind of powder are you using?

Hannibal
07-27-2015, 12:29 PM
In this particular instance, it was 12.5 grains of 2400, 158 grain J-words. I tried various loads and cast bullets over a several month period last fall and winter, never could find predictable results. Now I have a good idea why. It is what it is. I can either live with it, rebarrel it, or sell it. I haven't decided which route to go as yet. Just discovered this issue a couple of weeks ago.

FergusonTO35
07-29-2015, 12:56 PM
Have you contacted Henry? I bet they would want to look at it.

BigAl52
07-30-2015, 10:15 PM
Have you contacted Henry? I bet they would want to look at it.

I agree I bet Henry would want to check the gun out. I have had issues with one in the past and they fixed it no questions asked. Al

Hannibal
07-31-2015, 12:50 AM
No, but as it is fully functional, I'm not sure what they'd do for me. I'm not going to speculate as I have no dealings with them on a customer service issue, but my last customer service issue with a different manufacturer drug out over several months and bore no appreciable results. I'm not sure I what I'll do.

fecmech
07-31-2015, 04:30 PM
I'm not sure what they'd do for me. I'm not going to speculate as I have no dealings with them on a customer service issue, but my last customer service issue with a different manufacturer drug out over several months and bore no appreciable results. I'm not sure I what I'll do.
All it will take is a phone call to find out. Henry has exceptional customer service, I don't think there is any better in the industry.

Lefty Red
08-02-2015, 01:21 AM
Henry has excellent customer service! They world with me on my 357 Big Boy's issues. Its just a fluke. I like every other caliber they make it in. And if they make the Steel Framed .357 with a correct lifter and loader and not just "fidget" the 44/45 one to work, then I will buy one. Will buy a 44 magnum one in a heart beat! The Marlin knockoffs I have held wih the sefety and "express" finish just suck.

Jerry

FergusonTO35
08-06-2015, 03:17 PM
I bet Henry would make it right, even if there's nothing functionally wrong with it. Just send them an e-mail, they respond quickly.

olafhardt
08-06-2015, 05:03 PM
I have a 'Golden Boy' .357 and I am less than impressed with the barrel. I have found that if a full tube of even mild .357 loads is run thru in 95 degree heat at a 100 yd target that after 3 rounds the POI will start stringing low at a rate of 1" per shot until it is off POA 5". Let it cool down and it returns to zero.

NOT what I was expecting from a heavy hex barrel.

It is nice to look at, and the action is butter smooth. YMMV. This is not unusual behavior for tubular mag rifles. Look up accurizing lever actions. I have just sanded the inside of the magazine rings on model 94 Winchesters. I have no experience with Henrys or octagon barrels.