PDA

View Full Version : 308 win....winneymucka winner!

mike in co
03-27-2008, 02:37 PM
at the request of a trophy holder from cast boolit shoot number 5, this is the load i took to the match.
water dropped ww, sized 309 lee push thru, lube was liquid alox from our friends at lee. the boolit is..a pointed gas check at about 174 gr....this would be the 311413. powder was varget....somewhere around 27 grs. no fillers. most likely fed gm match primers in lake city match brass. oal was to touch the lands( different in each rifle)
this was shot from a parker hale bbl'd 98 mauser(26") with an aftermarket trigger and from an ar-10(t) 24".
bottom line: it was a sub moa load.

this was my first cast boolit rifle load and for some silly reason did not keep much in the way of notes. this was before i "knew" anything, like pointy boolits dont shoot well....lol

i do not know the exact numbers but i shot somewhere around 7/8" at 100 yds, and then let some guy try his luck and he beat me by about 1/16" with my gun and my ammo!

mike in co

compass will
11-29-2008, 04:55 PM
I know this is an old post, BUT...

I been looking for a .308 load. ran out of 4895 and 4198 trying (and getting close) so I figured "since it all I got left is varget, why not try it?"

200 grain lee boolit sized to .310. win primers. Savage 10FP 1 in 10 twist.

26.5 grains gave me the same results as posted above :)
27 grains opened up the pattern (double the size, but still better then my best groups with the other powders). I guess the difference in powder weights is because I am using a heaver boolet.

I am taking these results to the cast boolet match in December!

Thanks Mike!