PDA

View Full Version : Natural Gas Use?

mj2evans
03-27-2008, 01:54 PM
OK, I am new to casting but so far its a lot of fun (and stretches the shooting dollar). I have been using a Coleman stove and a LP three burner set up from Harbour Freight. I have a natural gas line at the house for my grill. Is it possible to set up the three burner to run on natural gas so I don't have to mess with the propane tank? Is this a really bad idea?

hammerhead357
03-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Should be possible. You will have to replace the gas jets with larger ones. I have converted from natural gas to propane with good results.
The natural gas orfices are larger due to the fact that natural gas doesn't burn as hot as propane. If you can tell me what the btu output of your burners is I think I can look up what size you would need for using natural gas. Wes

Ed Barrett
03-27-2008, 02:38 PM
If you have the space, look into a used gas cooking stove the oven lighting setup usually goes and some aren worth the cost to fix the oven. Several people have picked up used ones with the oven not working for next to nothing. ($20 to free) even if the top igniter is out you can always light them with a match. Just be sure you put them where there is plenty of ventalation, or add a vent to the outside above them.

MT Gianni
03-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Watch the hose size also if you use a grill outlet. You will need a larger diameter than LP does if you are at any distance from the existing valve. Make sure that you have enough distance from the house if the tinsel fairy visits. Gianni.

HeavyMetal
03-28-2008, 09:03 PM
You can also adjust the burners on a gas stove to run a little hotter! Usually, if you take of the top grill work, you can see an air bleed on the side of the gas burner. Sliding these closed a bit will increase flame temp!