PDA

View Full Version : I finally just HAD to.

Gussy
03-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Well, I have been busy all winter and kept putting off casting. Last week I loaded every bullet I had for a shoot.

Monday I put together a small casting table. I've been using 2 55 gal drums as tables for 3 years since I moved. It's hard when you can't stand up to the table, no toe space.

Last night I left work a little early and got everything set up. Had a good melt going by 5:30 and cast for almost 3 hours. Ended up with about 300 hundred big bullets. I was running 3 moulds at once (single cavity), 2 330 gr Lymans for the 38-55 and 1 500gr for the 45-90. By then my back and feet were telling me to sit down.

I started with a really full pot and still had 1/3 in it when I shut down. I need to do this at least 4-5 more times now to have enough for the summer shooting. I should get in at least a couple of more sessions durring the summer months.

The only thing I haven't set up is the turkey frier burner. I use that to quickly bring the pot up to temp then put it on the small single burner unit I use for casting. It really speeds up the startup time. I also use it to bring up more alloy if I need to refill. Saves a lot of time.

I must be out of shape (really???) I used to go for 6-8 hours. 3 seemed like plenty last night!!

Wayne Smith
03-27-2008, 12:15 PM
"Don't Do It!" and "Finally I Just Had To" just three posts apart! Just had to laugh and point it out.

Gussy
03-27-2008, 12:46 PM
"Don't Do It!" and "Finally I Just Had To" just three posts apart! Just had to laugh and point it out.

That IS funny!!!!! Didn't see it.

Ed Barrett
03-27-2008, 02:21 PM
I have been casting all winter and now that the weather broke I have only been out 4 times. keep getting rain or wind. Everything I've tried has been encouraging. I think I will have to take a couple of ingots with to hold my notes and papers from the wind.