PDA

View Full Version : Need home electrical advice.

wallenba
07-20-2015, 08:43 PM
Just left my master bedroom. When I switched off the overhead light, it flickered a bit at first. Curious I switched it back on, but now it won't go off. Not making any sparks, smoke or anything else. I opened the breaker and closed it again, same thing.

My back is a mess, and I'm not the best at electrical. What is the more likely source of trouble, the switch or the fixture? Hardware store is closed here now. I did back out the bulbs, but the fixture might still be hot. What's the risk going to bed tonight?:|

Handloader109
07-20-2015, 08:50 PM
Bad switch. If switch worked power to light would go off.
If older home, does it have aluminum wiring? Don't use back stab, put wiring under screws. Spend more than $2 for your next switch, get quality.

Wolfer
07-20-2015, 08:52 PM
The problem probably lies in your switch.
If you back the lamps out I can't see any danger.

Riverpigusmc
07-20-2015, 09:01 PM
If older home, does it have aluminum wiring? Don't use back stab, put wiring under screws. Spend more than $2 for your next switch, get quality.

^this. Get a good Leviton switch and avoid the quik stabs in the back

Pipefitter
07-20-2015, 09:04 PM
All of the above and MAKE SURE THE BREAKER IS OFF before you attempt to replace the switch.

Buck Neck It
07-20-2015, 09:10 PM
[QUOTE=Pipefitter;3318793]All of the above and MAKE SURE THE BREAKER IS OFF before you attempt to replace the switch.

But that will take all the sport out of it

bnelson06
07-20-2015, 09:11 PM
It's just 110.

wallenba
07-20-2015, 09:16 PM
Just about to test that, but don't know if my method will be safe. I plan to screw the bulbs back in till lights come on. Then, open the breaker, disconnect the switch, close the breaker to see if the lights go off.

oneokie
07-20-2015, 09:16 PM
It's just 110.
Yeah, rightttttt.
Ever been bitten real good by 110? I have, it is not fun. Also been bitten by 440, that hurts!

bnelson06
07-20-2015, 09:18 PM
All the time Nolan, working in electrical panels tends to get ya use to it ........ Not a good thing

lightman
07-20-2015, 09:24 PM
I agree, its probably the switch. Or the connection at the switch. Removing the load (taking the bulbs out) removes most of the hazard. Changing switches is pretty easy with a few basic tools. I'm old school and do nearly everything hot. Get a flashlight and turn the breaker off, remove the old switch and go buy one like it. Its important to match the switch. Most bedrooms will be a single pole switch (2 screws + the ground), but some larger rooms will have a 3-way (3 screws + a green ground). If its a 3-way switch, take note which wire is on the black or gold screw and the green screw. The other 2 wires can go on either of the remaining screws.

wallenba
07-20-2015, 09:44 PM
Disconnected the switch with the lights on. Opened the breaker. Lights are out. Logic says switch. Get one tomorrow.

I have a healthy fear of home electrical. When I was seven, my mother found me on the kitchen floor with a butter knife in my hand. Yep... the toast was burning because it got stuck when it tried to pop up. "I'd done that a lot of times I told her, that never happened before". Didn't even blow a fuse. I don't think they had GFI's in 1959.I was banned from the kitchen for many years.

wallenba
07-20-2015, 10:01 PM

Yes, house was built in 1952, same age as me, 63.

wallenba
07-20-2015, 10:07 PM
I agree, its probably the switch. Or the connection at the switch. Removing the load (taking the bulbs out) removes most of the hazard. Changing switches is pretty easy with a few basic tools. I'm old school and do nearly everything hot. Get a flashlight and turn the breaker off, remove the old switch and go buy one like it. Its important to match the switch. Most bedrooms will be a single pole switch (2 screws + the ground), but some larger rooms will have a 3-way (3 screws + a green ground). If its a 3-way switch, take note which wire is on the black or gold screw and the green screw. The other 2 wires can go on either of the remaining screws.

Things don't look right inside that box. Both (only two wires) connected to the switch are black. There is a white wire tucked away in the back. Can't see where that goes. Wires are copper.

wallenba
07-20-2015, 10:09 PM
[
Things don't look right inside that box. Both (only two wires) wires connected to the switch are black. There is a white wire tucked away in the back. Can't see where that goes. Wires are copper.

oneokie
07-20-2015, 10:17 PM
Probably wired with 2 conductor wire. Outlets use 2 or 3 prong plugs?
Switch should kill the juice to the fixture if you only have the 2 wires connected to the switch.

Handloader109
07-20-2015, 10:18 PM
Do you have two switches that turn on the lights in the bedroom? I expect not, would be common in living room, but not in bedroom. No telling being that old. I'd rewire new switch same as old and be done with it.

jcren
07-20-2015, 10:24 PM
Your switch wiring is normal, the black wire is switched and the white wires should be wire-nutted together. Use previously discussed caution and snug wire screws firmly and give her a shot. And yes, 440 3-phase bites much worse than 110!

MaryB
07-20-2015, 10:31 PM
I was working on a VCR with the power supply exposed on one side. I laid on hand over the fuse, the other over chassis ground and started to flip it over. Got halfway and realized I was across the line... finished flipping it then cussed a bit. Part of working on electronics, getting zapped. 110 doesn't even bother me. Mt dad was an electrician and his fingers were so callused and used to it he would lick his finger tips and brush them across exposed wires to see if the are live.

I agree, bad switch, pretty common failure and very easy to replace. 2 wires, can't put them on backwards(doesn't matter which terminals they go on as long as they are opposite contacts). I would just swap it with power on but getting zapped doesn't bother me.

Yeah, rightttttt.
Ever been bitten real good by 110? I have, it is not fun. Also been bitten by 440, that hurts!

wallenba
07-20-2015, 10:35 PM
Probably wired with 2 conductor wire. Outlets use 2 or 3 prong plugs?
Switch should kill the juice to the fixture if you only have the 2 wires connected to the switch.

The outlets all have 3 prong receptacles. That doesn't mean much. The house passed inspection in the bath and kitchen when I bought it. I hired an electrician when we did the kitchen. He showed me that the GFI's were not wired. They redid the bath too.

Handloader109, just the one switch. Going to rewire it as before. Thanks for holding my hand here guys.:bigsmyl2::oops:

jsizemore
07-20-2015, 10:52 PM
Next you'll be growing hair down there and drinking coffee.

bnelson06
07-21-2015, 11:47 PM
Thanks for holding my hand here guys.:bigsmyl2::oops:

No holding hands when dealing with electricity, it turns out bad for the guy on the end.

Wolfer
07-22-2015, 05:41 PM
If I don't get shocked once a week my heart starts slowing down.:|

MtGun44
07-23-2015, 12:39 AM
If not the switch, look at loose connections to the ground bus bar in the
main box. I have had my house and a friend's do this. Her's was scary
because the insulation was charred for 6" on her ground wire from the
buss connection. I replaced the wire.