PDA

View Full Version : Darn Linotype boolits

labradigger1
07-20-2015, 05:59 PM
So a few months ago I decided to cast up a pile of noe 311299's for the garand. I used a high Lino/tin mix at around 24 bhn, powder coated and loaded up about 500 rounds with IMR 4895
When I loaded them they would just barely chamber due to slight engraving on the bore rider section just behind the ogive.
Wouldn't you know they grew in diameter and now jam when the bolt closes. When you open the bolt the bullet sticks in the bore and dumps all the powder in the action.
Darn! Looks like the collet puller is gonna get used ALOT soon. Did I mention around 500 rounds?
Lab

Scharfschuetze
07-20-2015, 07:21 PM
Well "darn."

I wish my 311299 mould threw a boolit with a slight larger diameter bore riding nose.

Perhaps it's the powder coating. It would have been interesting to mike them after production, before powder coating and now after. Perhaps that would make for a fun project to confirm your suspicions.

You might also try an alloy with a greater lead (Pb) content and less tin (Sn) as that alloy will shrink a smidgen more on cooling than your Linotype alloy.

Do you have another 30/06 that will chamber the rounds rather then pulling them?

No need to pull 'em. This is an excellent excuse to purchase another M1 rifle to fit your reloads.

Ha, ha! Yes, with three Garands in the vault, I'm sure that I could find one that would chamber those 500 rounds.

labradigger1
07-20-2015, 07:36 PM
labradigger1,

No need to pull 'em. This is an excellent excuse to purchase another M1 rifle to fit your reloads. :

PB
I like your thinking
My wife probably not so

labradigger1
07-20-2015, 07:43 PM
Well "darn."

I wish my 311299 mould threw a boolit with a slight larger diameter bore riding nose.

Perhaps it's the powder coating. It would have been interesting to mike them after production, before powder coating and now after. Perhaps that would make for a fun project to confirm you suspicions.

Do you have another 30/06 that will chamber the rounds rather then pulling them?

Ha, ha! Yes, with three Garands in the vault, I'm sure that I could find one to chamber those 500 rounds.

I only have one garand. I do have another 06' but I like to shoot 311334's in it.
I went through the ammo can and most (luckily) were loaded with 311334's so I only ended up with about 160 or so of the problem hollow points to pull.

I never mic'd them before pc'ing but after coating after newly cast they were .3085 if memory serves. I cast a lot more Saturday from ww +2% tin and will just run them through the star with carnauba red.

What size bore rider does yours measure out to?
Mine is the 4 cavity brass mold with hp, cup and fn captive pins.
Lab

Scharfschuetze
07-20-2015, 07:52 PM
I only ended up with about 160 or so of the problem hollow points to pull.

Good news that Labradigger1.

Mine come out of the mold right at .295 to .298 for the bore riding nose and .311 on average with LT. That's from a Lyman mould. For my 1898 Krag and WWI 1903, I use the 314299 mould for their .309 and .310 bores. Someday I'll try that slightly larger 314299 boolit in my Garands and see if the nose fits a bit better. My current load shoots so well though that I haven't done so yet.

I have also have good luck with the Lyman 311332 and 311334 boolits in my 30 cal military rifles. You might try that 311334 of yours in that Garand.

labradigger1
07-20-2015, 08:14 PM
I just mic'd the problem boolits. They mostly measure out at .3055 to .3065.
Also measured those cast Saturday using my pid fresh from deputy dog and they measure .301 cast from ww +2% tin.
Looks like I have a tight chamber in the garand.
31334's powder coated are .308.
I am crimping the 311299's in the top crimp groove. With the short ogive they would prolly function if crimped above top land at the bottom of the bore rider section.