PDA

View Full Version : Getting schooled, and liking it.

trixter
07-20-2015, 12:01 PM
Saturday morning, we loaded up table, chairs, targets with stands, the range box, and ammo, the 30-06, 223 bolt, AR15 and a couple 22s, 3 grand sons and myself and off to my private range for a morning of fun. After we set up the targets, out came the 30-06. My middle grandson loves things that go boom, and he was up first. 5 shots, 155gr lead boolits, with 17gr Unique, that I have struggled with. After he shot, we walked to the target, and there were 3 of the 5 in a quarter size group and the other two were not too far off. So now I know that it is not the ammo, or the rifle, the struggling is just me. I was quite thrilled, and he was excited to see how good he is getting. The rest of the morning was a lot of shooting among all of us, then home and everyone helped unload and put stuff away, then the boys hit the pool, then burgers and indoor stuff as the temps went up. The boys are 9, 11 and 14, and it is good to have something that we can all enjoy. I want to keep them sharp for next spring and squeek hunting.

Frank V
07-20-2015, 12:31 PM
Thanks for sharing a great time with your kids. Getting them involved with shooting now will dispell a lot of garbage they will incounter other places.

Wayne Smith
07-20-2015, 01:07 PM
And now you know it's not the load or the boolit you can work on your technique! Have fun and lots of shooting.

rosewood
07-20-2015, 01:17 PM
Your grandsons will remember those trips for the rest of their lives. I saw the quote "take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids". I believe that is the truth.

SciFiJim
07-21-2015, 12:12 AM
Ok, I gotta ask. What are squeek and where do you hunt them?

trixter
07-21-2015, 09:54 AM
East of Klamath Falls, Oregon, is a little farm community called Dairy. There are large alfalfa ranches, and the little squirrels live in the fields and burrow and eat the roots of the plants, causing misery. The land owners for the most part love to have hunters come and help eliminate these critters. Starting after the snow melts off the fields, a little after daylight, the fat pregnant females popup to sun themselves and they are bigger than the males that come out later. This only lasts till about 11:00 to noon, this is continuous targets. After that things slow down and the targets don't present themselves as often. On the ranch where I hunt the average shot is 25 yards to 175 yards. I leave the close ones for the grandsons, and the 22's, and I like to focus on the longer shots. My favorite part is when they go about 5 feet in the air doing somersaults. The other way you know if you hit one is the red mist. There a lot of other areas where they exist, but this is just where I hunt them. Their official name is ?? I just found the name on google, Belding ground squirrel.

waco
07-21-2015, 10:15 AM
We just call them Sage Rats!

bedbugbilly
07-21-2015, 10:16 AM
trixter - our next door neighbor in AZ is from klamath Falls - she summers up there. She's sent us photos and it's a beautiful area! Sounds like you all had a great time. Those kids are going to remember those times throughout their life and you are sure making some fond memories for them!

Sounds like you have your load down - I'll bet your grandson was tickled pink with his target! Hey . . . don't fret over it too much . . . all of us "old guys" have the same problem! LOL Sometimes our eyes aren't as good as they used to be! I've been working on the same thing with an old GEW98 8mm Mauser. I'm happy with the results but I'm thinking a youngster could do better than I!

Enjoy those outings - sounds like lots of fun with the family!

Yodogsandman
07-21-2015, 05:58 PM
Good job, gramps! :bigsmyl2:

Hawks Feather
07-21-2015, 07:54 PM
Thanks for taking the kids shooting. They will remember it and if when they get the chance again will be more than happy to go.