PDA

View Full Version : New swapping and selling rules as of 7-17-15?

HARRYMPOPE
07-20-2015, 09:33 AM
Any idea why the change to 3 open threads per month and no more than 3 items per thread?was there a problem of some sort?

dragon813gt
07-20-2015, 10:10 AM
That's going to really hurt the older guys that are getting out of the hobby and want to pass their tools on to a good home. It seems that some members were going to estate sales and selling large quantities of items. I understand it but an arbitrary limit on the number of threads and items seems ridiculous. The forum is already very busy.

nicholst55
07-20-2015, 10:25 AM
That's going to really hurt the older guys that are getting out of the hobby and want to pass their tools on to a good home. It seems that some members were going to estate sales and selling large quantities of items. I understand it but an arbitrary limit on the number of threads and items seems ridiculous. The forum is already very busy.

For those wanting to sell a long list of items, do like some sellers already do - post an ad with a link to a .PDF list, or have the buyer email or PM you for a list.

missionary5155
07-20-2015, 10:25 AM
Good morning
Yep the old typical abuse by some has put the wammy on those who did not try to take advantage of this fine place. The leeches are always about.
Mike in Peru

Freightman
07-20-2015, 10:30 AM
Good morning
Yep the old typical abuse by some has put the wammy on those who did not try to take advantage of this fine place. The leeches are always about.
Mike in Peru

Yep bout sums it up

fishhawk
07-20-2015, 10:40 AM
You should also notice that new members now need 6 months membership and 100 relevant posts.

shooterg
07-20-2015, 10:41 AM
Pretty significant changes for initial posters too. But, like always, the owner gets to set the rules ! I'm just glad to be here.
Would be nice if OPs had a button to move a thread to "SOLD" though.

dragon813gt
07-20-2015, 10:46 AM
You should also notice that new members now need 6 months membership and 100 relevant posts.

I did see that. I know it's a private forum and we have to live w/ the rules. But was there that much abuse? Could it not be handled on a case by case basis? Brassmagnet won't be able to buy as many items now ;)

BrassMagnet
07-20-2015, 10:54 AM
I did see that. I know it's a private forum and we have to live w/ the rules. But was there that much abuse? Could it not be handled on a case by case basis? Brassmagnet won't be able to buy as many items now ;)

Mrs. Brass has already addressed that issue. Mrs. Brass has banned me from Swapping & Selling!

Freedom for the masses at last!

Hamish
07-20-2015, 11:47 AM
I always took great satisfaction passing good deals on to fellow forum members when I found things. Have gone out of my way many times to buy things I found to bring them here to sell them to "us" at a lower price than any of the selling sites. If I've got to worry about getting hassled over too many things or not enough time in between sales,,,,,,.

Sounds like PC Zero Tolerance style management instead of the traditional, case by case Moderation, which always *seemed* to work in the past.

garym1a2
07-20-2015, 12:11 PM
If you are going to sell a lot of stuff all the time you should become a vendor and list items on your vendor page.

dragon813gt
07-20-2015, 12:23 PM
If you are going to sell a lot of stuff all the time you should become a vendor and list items on your vendor page.

I agree w/ this. But I'm betting the traffic to the vendor pages is low. Just as a for instance. I can't view the VS forum on Tapatalk. I'd guess that other forum readers might be the same. If I was going to estate sales w/ the plan of reselling a large number of items I would become a vendor sponsor.

montana_charlie
07-20-2015, 12:31 PM
I have always wondered what the 'no laundry lists' rule was supposed to mean ...

mjwcaster
07-20-2015, 12:43 PM
Not going to effect my enjoyment of this wonderful site.
May be an issue when I get around to cleaning up and have a pile of misc brass that I would like to sell, but I will survive.

The one issue is members that for financial reasons have to liquidate their collections.

We have in the past had members that need to raise money for unexpected moving, healthcare or other reasons.
I know that the site is for the sharing of information, not a for profit venture, but the cast boolit family has always stepped up to help members in need, and that has always made me proud.

Even auction style sales that bring more money than the items may be worth.
There is no more giving online community that I have ever been a part of.

I just wonder how the new rules will effect members who truly need to raise some emergency funds, and would rather deal with 'family' than the unknowns of other venues.

While even here there have been issues, they are the exceptions, at least as far as I know.

Too bad that some had to abuse the hospitality of the forum and bring us to this.

Time to sort/sell some unneeded brass and renew my subscription (kind of stopped using paypal, ao auto renew failed this year).

Baron von Trollwhack
07-20-2015, 12:44 PM

We have a winner !

It sure does seem that some members are in actual fact vendors, because of their volume of items and repeat sales.

Now I look at the "stuff" for sale and buy, and occasionally sell personal "stuff". I do.

But when a member continuously runs various merchandise for sale, he should post in the vendor area to sell the "stuff" he bought TO SELL.

BvT

fishhawk
07-20-2015, 01:01 PM
Not going to effect my enjoyment of this wonderful site.
May be an issue when I get around to cleaning up and have a pile of misc brass that I would like to sell, but I will survive.

The one issue is members that for financial reasons have to liquidate their collections.

We have in the past had members that need to raise money for unexpected moving, healthcare or other reasons.
I know that the site is for the sharing of information, not a for profit venture, but the cast boolit family has always stepped up to help members in need, and that has always made me proud.

Even auction style sales that bring more money than the items may be worth.
There is no more giving online community that I have ever been a part of.

I just wonder how the new rules will effect members who truly need to raise some emergency funds, and would rather deal with 'family' than the unknowns of other venues.

While even here there have been issues, they are the exceptions, at least as far as I know.

Too bad that some had to abuse the hospitality of the forum and bring us to this.

Time to sort/sell some unneeded brass and renew my subscription (kind of stopped using paypal, ao auto renew failed this year).

Members in need can always contact myself onokie or No_1 and we will give consideration to waiving that rule for the member. And as some have guessed there were to many abusing the S&S. steve k

HARRYMPOPE
07-20-2015, 01:10 PM

I am usually selling things off for old friends that are no longer shooting as a favor to them.I make nothing for it and prefer not to do ebay.I guess i might have to list other places rather than spend the $100 a year for a vendor fee.

doc1876
07-20-2015, 01:18 PM
75% of the time, if I came across a laundry list, I just moved to the next thread. Half of the time, I couldn't make sense out of them.

mjwcaster
07-20-2015, 01:20 PM
Members in need can always contact myself onokie or No_1 and we will give consideration to waiving that rule for the member. And as some have guessed there were to many abusing the S&S. steve k

I had hoped and figured that this would be the case.

Thanks Fishhawk and the castboolits team for all your work, I don't think I would be casting if it wasn't for this site.

oneokie
07-20-2015, 01:35 PM
Read the sticky thread in Swappin and Sellin titled "Casual Sales".

Also, Vendor Sponsors are not limited to only selling from their sub forum. They can post items for sale in the main S&S forum.

Yes, we get complaints about the VS selling items in the main S&S forum.

TheDoctor
07-20-2015, 06:46 PM
Someone caught onto my nefarious plan of dumping my past 20 years accumulations all at once. Foiled again!

blackthorn
07-20-2015, 06:55 PM
Punish the many for the sins of a few. Sad!

funnyjim014
07-20-2015, 08:40 PM
That explains why there are not 10 adds for empty ammo boxes every day. I agree with the new limits per month but the only 3 per page is kinda harsh. I think 5 would be better, just my 2ct

No_1
07-20-2015, 09:03 PM
5 items will be considered. The reason for the change is the sheer number of folks who come onboard, meet the very lax requirements then spend their entire existence in the S&S section selling off anything they get their hands on that may or may not fit into the casting boolits theme of this site. The S&S section was designed to give folks a place where a member can occasionally sell an unwanted mold, piece of reloading gear or gun. What it has turned in to is a place where folks try to sell huge amounts of gear at no cost to themselves. This isn't a "for sale" forum, it is a casting forum.

Yodogsandman
07-20-2015, 09:13 PM
How many times do you see a post selling an item(s) by new members with just one or two posts? Or see that all the members posts have been just in the S&S section? Every week maybe?

fatnhappy
07-20-2015, 09:33 PM
Mrs. Brass has already addressed that issue. Mrs. Brass has banned me from Swapping & Selling!

Freedom for the masses at last!

As of today Ron has 1,636 forum posts, 2 of which do not feature the words "I'll take it!"

bearcove
07-20-2015, 09:48 PM
I am moving to Alaska from NM, and expect that I will have some stuff that I don't want to take with me. I only sell stuff here but don't see it being a problem. I might have extra stuff to sell right before I leave with my household, but that will be a one time thing that I will work out with the Mods. If I do anything I will continue to buy stuff to take with me to avoid shipping.

The only one who should be inconvenienced would be the auction/estate resellers.

bearcove
07-20-2015, 09:49 PM
Pretty significant changes for initial posters too. But, like always, the owner gets to set the rules ! I'm just glad to be here.
Would be nice if OPs had a button to move a thread to "SOLD" though.

Just lock it and it goes by by

EDIT I think this should be a rule "When done with a sale, lock the thread so it can be moved without having to read that its sold". If I was the s&s MOD that's how I'd do it..

Clean up after yourself or don't use it.

ShooterAZ
07-20-2015, 10:13 PM
I'm glad to see this happen. 5 items is more reasonable though. The S&S was turning into a free for all to non contributing guys who only want to turn a fast buck. Iv'e sold items only to see the same items up for sale again, at higher prices. I know it's a free economy, but that just didn't set very well with me. No more fly by nighters is fine by me.

white eagle
07-21-2015, 01:05 PM
I have sold a bunch of stuff here like molds,guns and the like
I was always annoyed by the oh I went to an estate sale and offer these to you all
and have no connection to them..then the auctions some for a good cause or site event but most
not interested in
I try to clean up after myself as much as I can,it seems to be getting easier
all comes down to house rules

No_1
07-21-2015, 04:09 PM
How many times do you see a post selling an item(s) by new members with just one or two posts? Or see that all the members posts have been just in the S&S section? Every week maybe?

More than you would imagine. The system is suppose to be set to prevent this but sometimes glitches pop up which allow them to post a new thread in that section or the new member just post on another sales ad. The members are usually pretty quick to point it out and the mods delete the threads pretty fast.

Robert

No_1
07-21-2015, 04:14 PM
The only one who should be inconvenienced would be the auction/estate resellers.

Believe it or not they are the ones who are raising the most stink followed by some of the one's who's post have been deleted that spend all night going through the S&S section pointing out other's who are "getting away with what you nailed me for".

No_1
07-21-2015, 05:58 PM
After consulting with the moderators and listening to the members I have increased the amount of items per thread to 5 but the amount of threads per month stays at 3.

Robert

dragon813gt
07-21-2015, 07:38 PM
Believe it or not they are the ones who are raising the most stink followed by some of the one's who's post have been deleted that spend all night going through the S&S section pointing out other's who are "getting away with what you nailed me for".

Just like Craigslist. There are a few "established" people in my area that flag anything firearm related. Yet they list adds daily selling loads of brass and other items. Hypocrisy and crying like a baby at the same time.

TXGunNut
07-21-2015, 09:12 PM
I wandered over to S&S to sell a mould I didn't need awhile back. Got rid of something I didn't need and a member got an excellent deal on a NOE mould. Didn't see much I wanted while I was there so I haven't been back. Nice little place but would hate to see it go where it seems to be going. Hopefully the new rules will keep it the way it was intended.
I like the VS area, we have some excellent Vendors and I support them every chance I get.

funnyjim014
07-21-2015, 09:25 PM
Well done . Im glad to belong to a community that listens to what everyone thinks. The amount of knowledge here is overwhelming and has been very helpful

Charley
07-22-2015, 12:59 PM

Yeah...followed the link to ask about a VS at least twice in the last couple months. Not even crickets chirping, no response whatsoever. I understand mods and admins are volunteers, and it can be a thankless job, but some response would be nice.

oneokie
07-22-2015, 02:42 PM
Yeah...followed the link to ask about a VS at least twice in the last couple months. Not even crickets chirping, no response whatsoever. I understand mods and admins are volunteers, and it can be a thankless job, but some response would be nice.
Not sure I understand what you are saying. Did you use the link embedded in the S&S forum header? Or another link?

Are the goods/services you are wanting to sell within the parameters of what is allowed to be sold here?

Fishman
07-22-2015, 05:41 PM
I think the Swapping and Selling forum should be eliminated. Because of it, I have dozens of moulds, thousands of brass, many new reloading items, and much less $ in my wallet. It's not the user's fault I tell ya', it's the pushers!

oneokie
07-22-2015, 05:45 PM
I think the Swapping and Selling forum should be eliminated. Because of it, I have dozens of moulds, thousands of brass, many new reloading items, and much less $ in my wallet. It's not the user's fault I tell ya', it's the pushers!

The correct and proper descriptive word is Enablers.

FISH4BUGS
07-22-2015, 08:49 PM
Interesting thread. For my own uses, I typically cast and load in manic sessions. Two hours here, three hours there, and a rainy afternoon. You can turn out a lot of bullets and ammo that way.
I hate setup time, so I tend to do long stretches of activity in one caliber. I can take a 6 cavity Hensley & Gibbs mould and turn out thousands of 9mm bullets, and size/lube them over a few sessions. I might load 2000 or more and have 1000 or more cast/sized/lubed bullets left over. Rather than let them sit, I would post here and trade for something that I am getting low on, like brass.
I don't think the new rules will really affect me. I have been a member here a long time (I think pushing 10 years) and buy/sell/trade on occasion, but I have noticed an increase in new people selling stuff.
Good move mods! Keep this site worthwhile. You are doing a great job.

Blacksmith
07-23-2015, 07:46 PM
+1 for the Mods. I'll bet the changes for new members will go a long way to clean things up. The quick buck artists won't want to hang around that long before they can start so they will go elsewhere.

LuckyDog
07-23-2015, 08:12 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO............
I'm just getting started. If they close it I'll have no excuse for not buying it retail.

I'm happy with the moderators decision.

BrassMagnet
07-23-2015, 09:00 PM
The correct and proper descriptive word is Enablers.

I really like Enablers!

Mrs. Brass, not so much.

It is nice when the thread title lists few enough items I can tell if I am interested in facing the "Wrath of Mrs. Brass!"

No_1
07-24-2015, 08:31 PM
Sounds like PC Zero Tolerance style management instead of the traditional, case by case Moderation, which always *seemed* to work in the past.

This is not PC Zero Tolerance style of management. We are no longer in the past with 5,000 members. We are currently at ~28,000 members and close to 150 different areas to oversee. We just don't have time to monitor every single thread or handle simple stuff like this on a case by case basis.

Robert

perotter
07-24-2015, 09:04 PM
I've never listed anything in that area, but am thinking of selling 200-300 pounds of virgin Britannica pewter. As the bars are 5 pounds each, would that be one item or 40-60 items as 200/5=40 or 300/5=60?

shoot-n-lead
07-24-2015, 09:07 PM
we have a winner !

It sure does seem that some members are in actual fact vendors, because of their volume of items and repeat sales.

Now i look at the "stuff" for sale and buy, and occasionally sell personal "stuff". I do.

But when a member continuously runs various merchandise for sale, he should post in the vendor area to sell the "stuff" he bought to sell.

Bvt

bingo!

shoot-n-lead
07-24-2015, 09:10 PM
This is not PC Zero Tolerance style of management. We are no longer in the past with 5,000 members. We are currently at ~28,000 members and close to 150 different areas to oversee. We just don't have time to monitor every single thread or handle simple stuff like this on a case by case basis.

Robert

Robert, never mind the complainers...these rules are liberal enough for folks to be able to sell their things, with no problem.

I am glad to see the change.

Keep up the good work and thank you, for what you do.

Lefty Red
07-25-2015, 06:19 PM
I see the reason for the new rules. It does affect me a bit. I normally have to clean off my reloading bench for items I buy here over the year. It usually begin with, "what was I thinking." Or me falling out of love with a caliber of gun. :)
But usually a good deal for another member.

Jerry

RogerDat
07-26-2015, 09:28 PM
I trust that the current change was to deal with a situation and will be adjusted (as it already has been) in order to find a happy medium. There is a reason that eBay charges fees, running a shopping site is expensive. This site is free to members who have something to sell. I guess if these rules are too onerous I can always go hang out on eBay, certainly a much better site for casters and relaoders there.

If it doesn't work they can always tweak it, lord knows have had to do that with loads or alloys a time or two myself. I predict wanted to buy will pick up a bit, folks such as myself that might be watching S&S for certain items might find it better to post what we are hoping to see offered for sale.

rancher1913
08-08-2015, 10:47 PM
little rant. I thought us newbies that were here before the new rules went into affect were grandfathered in(swear I read it in one of the bosses posts). I am over the post count but under in time and went to list something on s&s but no button for new threads. can I get some clarification or am I s.o.l.

waksupi
08-09-2015, 01:05 AM
little rant. I thought us newbies that were here before the new rules went into affect were grandfathered in(swear I read it in one of the bosses posts). I am over the post count but under in time and went to list something on s&s but no button for new threads. can I get some clarification or am I s.o.l.

I believe the grandfathering was from the original development of the rules, that date being several years ago.

Teddy (punchie)
08-09-2015, 06:17 AM

Your right there was a post about grandfathering. About the post number and time, if I recall No.1 posted it now if I can recall what post.

The post is gone or can not find it. Best to ask N0 1.

Was I thinking a date of 7-17-15 Now I maybe wrong. It is hay season and I work full time so I'm a nut this time of the year.
I fact today we are shooting clay bids:Fire::Fire: with the scouts at the farm[smilie=w:play day. Needed a place to shoot sum. Most gun clubs are privet and not going there a whole other can of worms.

All this posting and chatter is hard to follow to get where and why the change. But it been almost a year I was away, guess things got out of hand.

No_1
08-09-2015, 07:37 AM
The first grandfather clause was created when the rules were originally modified years ago to require time on the site before sales were allowed. The new (revised) rules increases the time / post requirements and removes the grandfather clause.

rancher1913
08-09-2015, 09:10 AM
thats fine but I see members with less than 100 posts that have listed recently, they are over on the time but under on the posts, I'm the opposite, under on time and over on posts. doesn't seem fair but I guess thats life.

No_1
08-11-2015, 06:36 AM
We are reviewing the grandfather clause and will let y'all know what we come up with.

zubrato
12-13-2015, 10:16 PM
Any consideration to raising the limit to 10 per thread, and having two threads?

Honestly now, I think most of us have more than 5 things sitting on our bench that we'd like to sell or trade up. Opening and maintaining 3 threads is a royal PITA. Id' rather just list out 10 things in one thread, and be done with it.

people who aren't flipping items or making estate lots have to make ( #1, #2 , #3...) threads, and its an inconvenience when we want to scoop some cash together to get that next item or tool we need or want.

abunaitoo
12-14-2015, 01:55 AM
Am I a grandfather?????
How can I tell????
I don't think 5 is an unreasonable number.
What I don't want to see is "List#1", "List#2", "List#3"......
It is suppose to be casual sales.
For bulk sales, a link to a doc. would be the best.
I like this place. Lots of really good people. Let's not a few bad apples spoil it.

No_1
12-14-2015, 05:48 AM
Any consideration to raising the limit to 10 per thread, and having two threads?

Honestly now, I think most of us have more than 5 things sitting on our bench that we'd like to sell or trade up. Opening and maintaining 3 threads is a royal PITA. Id' rather just list out 10 things in one thread, and be done with it.

people who aren't flipping items or making estate lots have to make ( #1, #2 , #3...) threads, and its an inconvenience when we want to scoop some cash together to get that next item or tool we need or want.

Daily maintenance by me of 50 pages in the S&S section is a royal PITA. The current 14 is kind of tough.

Robert

USMC87
12-14-2015, 09:11 AM
I would rather be able to sell less here than sell more on ebay, It's about passing on good deals to those who need them. I have bought a lot of items here to add to my collection and appreciate all the knowledge that is passed along here also.

Wasalmonslayer
12-14-2015, 10:45 AM
Usmc87 pinned it.
I enjoy try new things in my reloading and cast some work out wonderful others fail miserable.
I would rather buy here and pass em back along here than feebay.
This site is still a huge wealth of info and can completely understand what no1 is going thru trying to monitor it.
It has turned into a gigantic site!
Which is good but has its down falls.

Wasalmonslayer

tomme boy
12-14-2015, 04:34 PM
No1 I applaud the job you do. I have sold lots of brass here. I usually sell way lower than most. I like to offer deals when I can. Sometimes I will have up to 20 kinds of brass in a list. Most does not last more than a day or two as I give a really good deal. I use this money to pay for my sponsorship and to support other venders here.

I now have to use most of the money that comes from the sale of the brass and other items to pay for gas and meds. I have to drive 92 miles each way to see my dr's. I know you look the other way when members have medical issues and need to sell off some items. I sold off a few guns this year as I needed the money also for tires and a timing belt on my car. I have to have a car to get to the dr's. As I have gone on, I have been able to get to the range less and less. So I have not been able to sell as much as I would like.

I'm not looking for a hand out, but it would be nice if the # of items to list could be moved up to 10. I think this would bring back a few more deals for everyone.

And everyone needs to be more responsible about closing their threads when they are sold. I am sure No1 would have a lot less things to do if you do this.

Blammer
12-14-2015, 07:42 PM
kinda hard to list a bunch of shell holders and small stuff in a "lot" and hope someone wants it, vs put up a bunch and say "as much as will fit in one box for shipping".

abunaitoo
12-18-2015, 06:03 PM
I have a question.
If I read it correct, the new rules are you are allowed only three postings a month. Even if you sell all or just one, you are not allowed to post another until the next month.
Is this correct?????
Why is this?????
It would seem to me that as long as I only have three open postings, if one sells, I could add another to make up the three.
I don't think I've ever had more than three post, but just in case.......

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-19-2015, 02:11 PM
I have a question.
If I read it correct, the new rules are you are allowed only three postings a month. Even if you sell all or just one, you are not allowed to post another until the next month.
Is this correct?????
Why is this?????
It would seem to me that as long as I only have three open postings, if one sells, I could add another to make up the three.
I don't think I've ever had more than three post, but just in case.......
yes, that is correct.

As to why, I assume you read this whole thread, if not, at least read this post.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?283448-New-swapping-and-selling-rules-as-of-7-17-15&p=3318792&viewfull=1#post3318792

tomme boy
12-20-2015, 05:51 AM
That one post sums up this whole thread right there. If you contribute, you support this site. I contribute with post and sponsorship's and gifts to members here. If I have something someone asks they need, I usually always just send it to them. I have sent a BUNCH of stuff to a member here that helps out others here.