PDA

View Full Version : Vice recommendations

snowwolfe
07-19-2015, 07:36 PM
Just built a HD bench with a 1 1/4 inch thick top and a shelf under it. Bench weighs in about 150 pounds and is 8 feet long and 32 inches deep.
Now I need a good vice to mount on it.
Looking for:
6-8 inch jaws
$200 or less
Built in small anvil

What do you recommend?

fatnhappy
07-19-2015, 07:44 PM
For vices I recommend drinking. All the other ones are too expensive.

For vises, wilton is the way to go. You can get a mechanics vise (5" 21400) for about $200

lightman
07-19-2015, 07:52 PM
2nd on Wilton.

JSnover
07-19-2015, 08:20 PM
Wilton. Although I've seen some imports hold up pretty well.
The only vise I ever saw ruined was a six-incher (brand unknown) that cracked when some idiot used a 6 foot pipe to tighten it.

RayinNH
07-19-2015, 10:47 PM
I would keep the anvil as a separate unit unless you just plan to straighten nails on it.

waksupi
07-19-2015, 11:44 PM
I would keep the anvil as a separate unit unless you just plan to straighten nails on it.

Absolutely. Any heavy anvil type work will break the vise.

TXGunNut
07-20-2015, 12:02 AM
My vise is a 60-80 yr old Columbian, my vice is 12yr old (and older) single malts. My vise outlasted my grandfather and a good bottle of Scotch lasts me a year or better. Interesting how things get better with age. ;-)

tigweldit
07-20-2015, 12:32 AM
Wilton all the way. Size will depend on budget what you will be using it for. Do not hammer on any part of a vise. Do not use a cheater bar or hammer to tighten. If you need a pounding surface, get a heavy metal plate or stand alone anvil.

smokeywolf
07-20-2015, 01:25 AM
I'd be checking the auction sites for an old Wilton. The older Wiltons are much better than the newer ones.

Lonegun1894
07-20-2015, 04:33 AM
I have two vices, and both are "powder habits". Take your pick of either Black or that new fangled Smokeless, I like them both though. My vise is a cheapie I got from Harbor Freight and it does what I need, but I definitely can't say that it is a "quality" vise.

Petrol & Powder
07-20-2015, 06:36 AM
All of the "vice" comments were predictable but still funny.
Older vices are often good values. Some of the cheaper ones can be cleaned up a bit but I agree the older Wilton's are pretty good. Keep an eye on yard sales, you'd be surprised with some of the cast iron treasures in barns, garages and basements.

Just a note on mounting. A vice is useless if it is not securely mounted. The first temptation is always lag bolts with wood screw threads but I would resist that if possible. Bolts that go all the way through the bench top and are secured with nuts & washers are a much better method. A small vice can be mounted with large "T" nuts on the lower surface of the bench top but larger vices need regular nuts and large washers.
Put a little thought into how you attach your vice to the bench and you'll be happier in the long run.

Wayne Smith
07-20-2015, 07:40 AM
Ditto on the above mounting advice. I have two of the Harbor Freight Chinese vices, one in the garage and one in the gun room. They do all I need, but are not precision devices. The one in the garage has been there 22 years and I have NOT been careful to not abuse it. It still works, abuse or not.

FISH4BUGS
07-20-2015, 07:45 AM
I have two vices, and both are "powder habits". Take your pick of either Black or that new fangled Smokeless, I like them both though. My vise is a cheapie I got from Harbor Freight and it does what I need, but I definitely can't say that it is a "quality" vise.

I thought you were going to admit to "peruvian marching powder".

Menner
07-20-2015, 07:58 AM
I have an older Wilton that was old when I got it. I had to put a new handle on it, it was s shaped that's why it was replaced. I have not been real gentle with it but for heavy duty pounding I got a 3 ft piece of railroad rail a number of years ago from a buddy of mine I have not hurt it yet ( I also don't move it around very much ) I seen a good sized Wilton the other day in a pawn shop I almost bought but I have enough vise with the one I have so I would check out the pawn shops to.
Tony

Kent Fowler
07-20-2015, 09:52 AM
I'd keep a eye out on ebay or where ever for a good older American made vise. Along with Wilton, I'd look for the older non-Chinese Craftsman vise's along with Athol or Starrett, Rock Island, if you can find one, Colombian, Yost, Ridgid, Parker and a few others. Also, get one that does not have an exposed lead screw. Be aware that some of Wilton's vises are now being made in China and I had a friend who's Harbor Freight vise broke about 30 minutes after he mounted it on his bench. Ditto on the vise anvil. Use something else for pounding on.

snowwolfe
07-20-2015, 10:33 AM
Vices!!!!!
Just visit one of the local pot stores in Denver. They sell killer weed for those occasional back pains and those times you want to experience uncontrollable laughing fits. Just tell the wife to hide the M&M's and Fritoes :)
One puff of today's high test is better than an entire joint from 10 years ago:)

bear67
07-20-2015, 04:19 PM
I enjoy all my various vices, but the only one the wife allows are the machinist vices in the shops. I have two 50 year old Wiltons that are truly square and a joy to use. I have a couple of 6" Columbians that are on welding benches, Chinese 5" on welding trailer, 6" chinese mounted on a post outside the shop in the rain. I have a really good English made 4" mounted on a portable stand made with a Farmall B wheel center for a base that is really handy to move to the job where you need it. It is Wilton quality, but I would have to go to the farm and see what the brand is. Was blue when new and not inexpensive. Use a good vice and you won't be saying bad words as often. I sometimes tap something on the anvil of a vice, but have 4 anvils from 60 to 420 pounds to beat on. A piece of rail or heavy iron is also useful. I have a 18" cutoff of 36" wide flange I beam (295#/ft) to beat on at one shop.

I look at tools on Craigslist regularly and good vices sometimes show up, especially already mounted on benches or tables. Now none of this discussion mentioned pipe vices!!!

bangerjim
07-20-2015, 04:36 PM
Of the over 7 vices I have in the shops.....ALL are Wilton! Except the 3 KURT vices on my milling machines! From a tiny 2" model vise to a big 8"....Wilton quality all the way. Older ones are better.

Watch out for cheap Harbor Freight and other Chicom stuff.

And yes..............MOUNT IT SECRUELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rio
07-20-2015, 04:43 PM
If you can afford a Wilton I say do it, we have one in the farm shop and I know because I have done it the abuse it will take and keep working. In my home shop I have a a china vise, it is the second one on that bench. I abuse it the same as the Wilton. First one lasted about 8 years until I broke it on a stubborn u joint and a cast hammer, second one I have about 4 years on and still do the same stuff with them these were both 8 inch I believe.

JWT
07-20-2015, 07:54 PM
Wilton. Buy used and clean it up. Make or buy copper or lead jaws.

Wayne Smith
07-20-2015, 08:06 PM
I enjoy all my various vices, but the only one the wife allows are the machinist vices in the shops. I have two 50 year old Wiltons that are truly square and a joy to use. I have a couple of 6" Columbians that are on welding benches, Chinese 5" on welding trailer, 6" chinese mounted on a post outside the shop in the rain. I have a really good English made 4" mounted on a portable stand made with a Farmall B wheel center for a base that is really handy to move to the job where you need it. It is Wilton quality, but I would have to go to the farm and see what the brand is. Was blue when new and not inexpensive. Use a good vice and you won't be saying bad words as often. I sometimes tap something on the anvil of a vice, but have 4 anvils from 60 to 420 pounds to beat on. A piece of rail or heavy iron is also useful. I have a 18" cutoff of 36" wide flange I beam (295#/ft) to beat on at one shop.

I look at tools on Craigslist regularly and good vices sometimes show up, especially already mounted on benches or tables. Now none of this discussion mentioned pipe vices!!!

Nor has it mentioned knee vices -my favorite but don't have one.

Mk42gunner
07-21-2015, 01:02 AM
I bought an ooolld Wilton six or eight inch bench vise at an auction for $35.00, it needed the nut the lead screw pushes against. Imagine my surprise when I found that you can still order parts for most Wilton vises.

If you want a vise to pound on, get a post vise. Also called blacksmith's vise, leg vise, etc..

Robert

Lonegun1894
07-21-2015, 02:03 AM
I thought you were going to admit to "peruvian marching powder".

No, sorry, never been that kind of fun and exciting to be around. Now my little brother is a whole different story, but I don't have anything to do with him aside from sharing a last name.

Blacksmith
07-21-2015, 03:12 PM
I bought an ooolld Wilton six or eight inch bench vise at an auction for $35.00, it needed the nut the lead screw pushes against. Imagine my surprise when I found that you can still order parts for most Wilton vises.

If you want a vise to pound on, get a post vise. Also called blacksmith's vise, leg vise, etc..

Robert

+1 on the Post Vise for pounding, that is what they are made for. The post transmits the force to the floor. Here is a link for those not familiar with Post Vises:
http://www.anvilfire.com/FAQs/blacksmith-vise.php

RayinNH
07-21-2015, 03:23 PM
More than the leg, the post vise is also a forging versus a casting for a bench vise.,

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-21-2015, 03:35 PM
about 15 years ago, I bought a 5" harbor freight Vise, looks nearly exactly like this one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/vises-anvils/5-in-multi-purpose-vise-61163.html
It's bigger than it looks, specs say it's 40 lbs. I like the lower jars for holding pipe. I have beat on this vice plenty and it has held up quite well for a china vise. The one draw back on my particular vise, is when opening up the jaws, it takes a couple turns of the handle for whatever engages the moving jaw, to open it...that seems like a lot of slop to me, it did that from when I got it new. I guess it all depends on your needs.

MtGun44
07-21-2015, 04:43 PM
The most popular vices seem to be alcohol and women, and then of course drugs.

Can't recommend drugs or alcohol, but women, done correctly, can be a pretty good deal.

Bill

Houndog
07-22-2015, 05:09 PM
The best advice I can give when buying a Machinists Vice is if you are only going to have one, determine what the biggest OUALITY vice you can find and afford is and buy one at least two sizes larger! If you buy a Wilton, Columbia, Starrett, or some other QUALITY vice you will only cry once when you buy it, but if you buy some of the chicom **** you will cry every time you try to use it and cry when you have to replace it when it breaks!