PDA

View Full Version : I gots a question. Maybe you gots an answer

jm951
07-19-2015, 05:56 PM
I'm getting into shooting NSSA and one of my muzzleloaders is Navy Arms Springfield repro made in Japan. The gun spent a lot of time doing reenacting and looks very rough and the bore is dark. Well, we took it out just to see what it might be able to do. Barrel pinned at 580, sized some trash can minies at 579 and wouldn't you know, the booger can shoot. The problem is that the rear sight is missing the entire leaf assembly (we used a cut nail held by duct tape for testing!:veryconfu) Even with the whacka mole rear sight it shot one ragged hole at 25yds. I procured a new sight leaf blank suitable for NSSA along with the screw. Got the leaf fitted and the screw is the correct thread but is a bit too short for my peace of mind, like it only catches about 2 threads of the sight frame.

The question- what thread is it and where can I get one longer? I'm thinking it's a #3 based on mic readings in the .094 range.

fouronesix
07-19-2015, 07:19 PM
Hard to say. I assume you're taking about the cross screw that holds the leaf to the base? I know those screws come in at least two different diameters and pitches- maybe more. Might take the base down to a well stocked hardware store and match diameter and pitch to a known screw. Then see if they have a longer one that will work. Even an all thread type will work for that purpose- but may have to turn down the head to fit into the recess in the base. Also, once the diameter and pitch is known you could call a supplier like Lodgewood Mfg to see if they have a longer one. Or you could possibly even find a correct type screw and tap the base to match the new screw. Or find a larger or blank screw and turn it to correct diameter and thread it to match the base- but that would require the correct die. Also, if your base doesn't have a recess for the screw head, the screw you have would have short engagement. The earlier sight bases like those on the M55 IIRC, don't have that recess while the later ones on the M61s/63s do have the recess. If your base doesn't have the recess then you could carefully counterbore it for the screw head thereby gaining 2-3 threads on the other end. Several ways to skin a cat so to speak.

carbine
07-19-2015, 09:47 PM
Try contacting S&S or better yet go to N-SSA.org bulletin board and post there.
BTW where are you located? I am also in the N-SSA

jm951
07-19-2015, 11:03 PM
I haven't contacted S&S yet but from what I take from the guy I got the screw from, it is from Lodgewood. Once I get this sorted, then time for a new front post and more testing, and to get my new musket running as well.