PDA

View Full Version : Lube heater PID

94Doug
07-18-2015, 02:12 AM
Has that been tried? More than anything, I think it would be nice to know what the temp is along with repeat-ability. Just wonderin'

Doug

kiwi
07-18-2015, 03:06 AM
I have one on my lube sizers, it's a Lyman I have 3 Lyman 450's and 1 RCBS Lam 11 just swap them around as needed, I found if left alone it got way to hot had to keep switching it off and on, fitted a PID everything is sweet holds the temperature with in 3-4 degrees easy to change the temperature depending on lube type or ambient temperature to keep lube flow just right

happy7
07-18-2015, 08:14 AM
I use the Johnson Controls unit. It has worked well for me and was cheaper to buy.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-155837.html

Beagle333
07-18-2015, 08:35 AM
Here's how I did mine. And the base fits all of my sizers.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?231896-New-heater-base-with-question&highlight=

Mike W1
07-18-2015, 09:54 AM
Used one of these TC's and drilled/tapped my old Midway heater base near to the base of the luber as I could. I use LBT Blue lube and with my particular rig set the PID for 112°. It keeps it at 113° per the readout on there. Nice to set it and forget it!
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u310/Mike4245/K-probe_zpsde3d4143.jpg

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-18-2015, 12:25 PM
This isn't a PID, I believe? But it is a cheap digital temp controller.
this isn't anything I really need, BUT it sure looks slick !
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?282355-Home-made-lube-heater

bangerjim
07-18-2015, 01:21 PM
Everyone seems to be hung up on PID's! There are other controllers out there that are simple relay on-off proportional only controllers that do everything you would ever need on a tiny lead pot or grease loober. I have a big box full of old Barber Coleman controllers that have 10A relays in them but are NOT full proportional-integral-derivative controllers. Control temps just fine.

Keep an eye out for such things at swap meets and garage sales....depending on your location.

banger

Mike W1
07-18-2015, 05:48 PM
Not that any of us actually understand PID's at least we know what to look for if we want one of them. Personally I have no idea of what you're talking about, what they're called and how to find one, and naturally no clue on what one costs.
You might as well enlighten the uninformed (like me) whlle you're at it.

Everyone seems to be hung up on PID's! There are other controllers out there that are simple relay on-off proportional only controllers that do everything you would ever need on a tiny lead pot or grease loober. I have a big box full of old Barber Coleman controllers that have 10A relays in them but are NOT full proportional-integral-derivative controllers. Control temps just fine.

Keep an eye out for such things at swap meets and garage sales....depending on your location.

banger

bangerjim
07-18-2015, 05:53 PM
Read away, my friend:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PID_controller

I used to teach classes on industrial process control and still use the knowledge to design and implement various control strategies in the engineering company I own.

How about controlling the temp in a heat treat oven large enough to put a Sherman tank in? Been there done that.

banger

Mike W1
07-18-2015, 06:09 PM
About supper time (live in the country) and that looks like some good reading but I have a hunch from a quick scan it's not going to answer any of my questions. I'll let you know one way or the other though.

Read away, my friend:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PID_controller

I used to teach classes on industrial process control and still use the knowledge to design and implement various control strategies in the engineering company I own.

How about controlling the temp in a heat treat oven large enough to put a Sherman tank in? Been there done that.

banger

Yodogsandman
07-18-2015, 06:39 PM
I plan to use a LED digital reptile heat control to control the heat for my luber. I have a Lyman heater already on one luber and just got a used magnetic 200W oil pan heater to use on the others. With this setup, I can move it to other lubers easily. I'm waiting for this reptile heat control to be shipped from China to try for this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Digital-Heat-Cool-Thermostat-110V-16A-Reptile-Temper-Controller-Sensor-Ultra-/221726739867?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339ff18d9b

94Doug
07-18-2015, 07:56 PM
I guess more than anything, I don't like the Midway recessed screw that I can only seem to set to too hot or not quite hot enough, to way to cold. I was just hoping for a more accurate way to adjust and note the temp. So maybe not a PID after all, just a more adjustable rheostat. Maybe a router control and a good temp sensor.

Doug

Mike W1
07-19-2015, 05:15 PM
Interesting little tool. If I can get a picture to load does the part I labeled 1 plug into part 2 which I'm guessing might be a magnetic coupler?

I plan to use a LED digital reptile heat control to control the heat for my luber. I have a Lyman heater already on one luber and just got a used magnetic 200W oil pan heater to use on the others. With this setup, I can move it to other lubers easily. I'm waiting for this reptile heat control to be shipped from China to try for this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Digital-Heat-Cool-Thermostat-110V-16A-Reptile-Temper-Controller-Sensor-Ultra-/221726739867?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339ff18d9b

Mike W1
07-19-2015, 05:23 PM
Well banger I read through the link and it's way above my head and likely most of us that aren't engineers. Didn't glean any info that would tell me what to look for specifically were I ever to attend a garage sale for sure. Think I'll have to just stick to my PID's and plug the unit into one of them that I'm using at the moment.

Yodogsandman
07-19-2015, 06:11 PM
Interesting little tool. If I can get a picture to load does the part I labeled 1 plug into part 2 which I'm guessing might be a magnetic coupler?

No, that's a suction cup for attaching the thermocouple probe (sensor) to the side of the glass of a reptile tank. It would need a place on the luber to attach the TC probe to. The heater would be plugged directly into the controller unit and the temperature set. I plan to use the Lyman heater or an oil pan heater.

Walter Laich
07-19-2015, 07:06 PM
for my Lyman 450 I used an aquarium temp controller. Probably does the same thing as a PID but a bit cheaper. As mine is from good old china it only reads C but I can covert for the price

Mike W1
07-19-2015, 09:36 PM
No, that's a suction cup for attaching the thermocouple probe (sensor) to the side of the glass of a reptile tank. It would need a place on the luber to attach the TC probe to. The heater would be plugged directly into the controller unit and the temperature set. I plan to use the Lyman heater or an oil pan heater.

Brain fart. Thought suction cup but wrote magnetic. Let us know how that part works out for you.

g5m
07-19-2015, 11:35 PM

In the description it says:

Temperature measuring range: -40~110°C
Temperature controlling range: 16~40°C

So, if it's 60 degrees C the controller doesn't do anything?

Yodogsandman
07-20-2015, 05:06 AM
In the description it says:

Temperature measuring range: -40~110°C
Temperature controlling range: 16~40°C

So, if it's 60 degrees C the controller doesn't do anything?

No, the top temperature you can set it to is 104*F (40*C). The controller can also be switched to read in *F or *C.

http://www.weatherwizkids.com/temperature-conversion-chart.htm

g5m
07-20-2015, 10:24 AM
Thanks. Next question is what temp (range) is usually necessary for you to heat to? I realize it depends on the lubricant you are using. I just don't recall ever seeing the temp measurements.
(Here, to get to 104*F I might have to use ice:shock:.)

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-20-2015, 10:39 AM
I don't have a thermometer or a 'readout' on my heater...so I can only guess...but basically warm to touch...which would be slightly over 98.6ºF :)
I cut the power to the heater when the lube is the consistency I like...if it gets too loosey goosey and leaky, I take a break while it cools. I know this probably doesn't answer your question directly, but it may give you place to start.

Mike W1
07-20-2015, 03:12 PM
My post #5 above for what I use.

Yodogsandman
07-20-2015, 04:39 PM
Thanks. Next question is what temp (range) is usually necessary for you to heat to? I realize it depends on the lubricant you are using. I just don't recall ever seeing the temp measurements.
(Here, to get to 104*F I might have to use ice:shock:.)

The controller will turn the power on to the heater when it needs to adjust, according to the TC sensors' temperature. By placing the TC sensor further from the heat source, a lower temperature can be set. So, for one person with their TC probe set up right next to the heater, they might need to set it to say, 120*F. The person that sets the TC probe away from the heater on the luber, might only set theirs to say, 95*F to heat the lube to the same temperature.

Then the different lubes might like different temperatures. The lubes I use right now aren't supposed to need any heat to flow at room temperature. In my barn though, room temp could be 110*F to -25*F.

Note that the use of the reptile heater controller is still just theory, I still don't have it to try out yet. The price point and ease of use was enough to want to try it. Walter's post (#16) makes it seem likely to work.

g5m
07-20-2015, 06:46 PM
Thanks very much for the answers above.I haven't done any casting or swaging for a long time. I don't remember ever seeing a heater "Back then". But, our temps and the lubricants used probably just didn't require a heater.

Just as an aside, in the summertime you wouldn't want to be doing this outside. At least in the sunshine-- a few days ago I measured the west wall of the house at 181 degrees in the sun area and in the shade area, from a tree, it was the ambient temp of 109. This was in the afternoon, of course.

Geezer in NH
07-20-2015, 07:19 PM
[QUOTE=Yodogsandman;3318491]
Then the different lubes might like different temperatures. The lubes I use right now aren't supposed to need any heat to flow at room temperature. In my barn though, room temp could be 110*F to -25*F.

QUOTE]Dude you are 1 serious loader, I am in NH but when the temp in my cellar gets to 50F I use a small heater. If it got to zero or below I watch tv. :bigsmyl2::kidding:

Yodogsandman
07-20-2015, 09:34 PM
[QUOTE=Yodogsandman;3318491]

QUOTE]Dude you are 1 serious loader, I am in NH but when the temp in my cellar gets to 50F I use a small heater. If it got to zero or below I watch tv. :bigsmyl2::kidding:

I find that I can dress for the cold but, can't take enough off in the heat! Last winter I found that Ben's Red still flowed at 15*F with no heat. I think it needed extra pressure, though. I do give it all a rest when it's below zero....most times! When it was real cold last winter, I was out there sorting WW's with just a little electric heater blowing on my feet. I turn into a hermit in the summer heat and stay indoors with the A/C!