PDA

View Full Version : First time caster.Very Cool!!!!!!

DeepSouth
03-26-2008, 10:47 PM
LIke I said first time caster,the only other time to melt any lead is when I made weights for my castnet.I was using a Ranch Dog 350gr Lee mould.I have lurked around here for awhile and have read many postson the trials and tribulations that many people have had trying to cast.All I can say is WOW it turned out real easy.Only problems were making sure I had the mould hot enough at first,then trying to keep it cool enough (when I cut the sprues off they would tear just a little,the base wouldn't be smooth,solved that by setting the mould down on a piece of granite for a second or so)ended up casting about a 100 boolits.Out of those only had about 15wasn't happy withand some of them would be plenty ok to shoot.Now I need to load them up and start shoot'n em.I used straight wheel weights and had very little if no problem with mould fill out.Air cooled some and water dropped some just to see if any difference.I'm hooked now.Need a mould for my 45 acp.Also just wanted to say what a cool website this is.The boolits I just cast are for my 45/70 GG and Buff Classic.

Razor
03-26-2008, 11:55 PM
HMMM !!
Sounds like the first stage symptom of an addiction...:roll:
Ain't no cure..so just enjoy..:twisted:
Another sign is having WAAAAY more cast boolits than you can shoot off in the next year.
(dont ask how I know this)
Other symptoms you may experience;
cruising large parking lots with a screwdriver and pliers 'harvesting' wheel weights.
buying moulds for calibers you don't have guns for. (yet)

Razor
:castmine:

DeepSouth
03-26-2008, 11:59 PM
Well ;ucky for me Iwant have to cruise the parking lots for ww.My brother in law owns a tire store.

HeavyMetal
03-27-2008, 12:11 AM
Next your going to tell us your married to a super model!

Some guys got all the luck!

kjg
03-27-2008, 08:40 AM
lucky luck dog you, add some 50/50 solid core solder ,about 1/4 pound to pot to it they will, come out shiny and will fill out in the mold better too.kjg

EMC45
03-27-2008, 10:44 AM
Good on ya DeepSouth. Saucier huh? I used to live in Gulfport! Hunted up at Black Creek a few times.

DeepSouth
03-27-2008, 08:11 PM
Man never know who you'll run into on here.Not ever deer hunted in Black Creek,but I shot a bunch of squirrels up there when my old preacher had his cur dog.Finally had to quit going the dog hunters(my best guess)wouldn't leave our trucks alone,always had to put a couple of spare tires in the cab,so we would have tires with air in them when we left.Had alot of fun up there.

No_1
03-27-2008, 08:31 PM
And her dad owns a gunshop?

Well ;ucky for me Iwant have to cruise the parking lots for ww.My brother in law owns a tire store.

Next your going to tell us your married to a super model!

Some guys got all the luck!

Rowdy
03-27-2008, 08:40 PM
Just loaded some 350gr RD's today, a nice easy shooting load.
25-26gr of 2400. If'n you want to go more, 52-53gr of H322

DeepSouth
03-27-2008, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the load info.Ibought a can of reloader 7 so I'll give it a try first ,I'm looking for somewhere around 1,500 to 1,600 fps probably don't even need it that fast.Thanks for the info though.