PDA

View Full Version : 50 BMG 513 850 Rockrat mold and Blammer's 50 cal GC's... advice needed!

maxreloader
07-16-2015, 01:22 PM
So we are all on the same page... I know my way around a pot but not like some of you. I recently picked up one of the NOE 513 850 grain FN 4-cav molds. I also (after much research) purchased some 50 cal GC's from Blammer's website. Al at NOE didn't have any advice for me. My main questions are: 1.) Which lube/sizer do I use for seating the GC's and sizing the bullets? I have access to an RCBS LAM II, an older Star machine, an older SAECO machine, and finally one of the old orange ideal/lyman lube/sizers.

I also would like your professional opinion on sizing dies... I have heard of the Lee die method (lapping a .510 to .513) and also heard Lathesmith can make whatever I need...

So I guess I'm asking what is the best machinery to use and the best method (process) for reliable seating and sizing of the boolits and checks I have... with cost coming in second...

Any and all help is appreciated. If this thread is in the wrong section of the forum I do apologize in advance. :???:

Wayne Smith
07-16-2015, 03:02 PM
I think I remember Buckshot posting that he won't make .510 H&I dies because of the small amount of steel left when the hole is drilled. I don't know about the Star, can it handle a boolit that long?

Screwbolts
07-17-2015, 08:26 AM
Not knowing what your rifle is actually chambered to, GI or a tight neck mach chamber, or your neck, throat diameter, it is somewhat difficult to suggest a size. Or for that matter your case prep, turned necks and such. Knowing the actual size your very nice NOE mold is actually dropping boolits, with your alloy at your chosen casting temp and tempo.

I would go with a push threw die to set your gas checks, the diameter being the largest that your rifle will except chambered, or the actual dia. of your cast that might chamber as cast.

Being you have access to all three machines, well what one works for you? Lyman used to make a .512 sizer die.

Do you plan on pan lubing you boolitz? You may not need to size them at all, just seat the checks as you asked in your OP.

My rifles have different chambers, one GI spec, the other has a much tighter chamber and neck.

Your rifles and alloy will answer most of your questions, no sizing may be needed at all. Drop some boolitz, see what ya got. Possibly, just check/lube and shoot. Let us know, what werks fer U, have fun, be safe.

Ken

maxreloader
07-17-2015, 09:37 AM
The rifle is a Viper XL that came from Bluegrass custom built with a match chamber and a 1:13 twist extremely heavy barrel. I was told .513 for the rifle if cast boolits were used. I am waiting on some 860 and 872 to experiment with, in the meantime just trying to stay ahead of the possible hurdles to be encountered.

I was planning on push-through size/lube/seat but am open to all methods if need be.

Screwbolts
07-17-2015, 02:34 PM
Both of my guns are 1x15, that 1x13 will put a spin on things. I would see what as cast is for size and then get a sizer made to seat your checks. I use a push threw for seating checks and hand lube boolitz for my guns if I am so inclined to shoot cast.

It isn't a problem holding one of the boolitz in my fingers and smearing lube in the grooves.

Ken