PDA

View Full Version : Fox River .54 rifle

richhodg66
07-15-2015, 01:03 PM
One is available locally, side hammer, seems like they're made in Spain. It has a synthetic stock, doesn't appear to have been shot much. Asking price is $80.

Are these any good? With the stabilize full diameter conicals?

Roundball
07-15-2015, 02:08 PM
Fox River was the T/C custom shop. It's gone. There is a Fox River muzzle loader that is from Traditions.

bubba.50
07-15-2015, 02:53 PM
Fox Ridge Outfitters was T/C's custom shop, not Fox River.

mooman76
07-15-2015, 03:51 PM
That is imported by Traditions and in good shape I don't see how you can go wrong. Parts are worth more than that. Traditions is kind of bottom of the line for BP guns but that doesn't mean bad.

dlbarr
07-15-2015, 04:10 PM
For $80...what are you waiting for?

richhodg66
07-15-2015, 06:46 PM
I've actually done a fair amount of hunting with a side lock muzzle loader, all but one with a .50. I have a few .54 molds, but to this point, the only .54 I had was a very short rifle and never very accurate. Kinda thought this one with longer sight radius might do better. Seems I read these had a 1 in 48" twist, will that work well with the Lee REAL or the Lyman Plains bullet (I have both)?

dlbarr
07-15-2015, 06:52 PM
That 1:48 rifling is supposed to be a happy medium that works with both RB & conical projectiles. I am aware of several in that config that do shoot well. imagine it will shoot well enough for a $80 gun. Like mooman76 said, the parts are worth that. If the rifle doesn't work out, you could build a fun gun out of the parts - a pistol or something. Or just sell the parts.

If I wanted a .54 and wasn't particular about style, I wouldn't hesitate on this one.

bubba.50
07-15-2015, 06:52 PM
I use Lee reals, T/C maxi-balls, and maxi-hunters(very similar to the Lyman Plains bullet) almost exclusively in my T/C rifles with the 1 in 48 twist & they are very accurate.

bubba.50
07-15-2015, 06:59 PM
through many years of mis-information the 1 in 48 has come to be known as a "compromise" twist or the aforementioned happy medium. if you'll do a bit of research you'll discover that a lot of original guns by the Hawken brothers & others were rifled in this twist & no-one has ever accused Jake & Sam of producin' inferior/inaccurate guns to my knowledge.

richhodg66
07-15-2015, 07:03 PM
I have one of those TC Maxi Hunter molds too, forgot to mention it. The one deer I shot with a .54, about 14 years ago, was with one. Little six point buck at very close range, made a mess inside his chest, but he didn't even act hit. Jumped a step or two away and started looking around. Thought I'd missed at first, then he started getting wobbly and eventually layed down, then put his head down and died almost peacefully. It was weird.

dlbarr
07-15-2015, 07:04 PM
through many years of mis-information the 1 in 48 has come to be known as a "compromise" twist or the aforementioned happy medium. if you'll do a bit of research you'll discover that a lot of original guns by the Hawken brothers & others were rifled in this twist & no-one has ever accused Jake & Sam of producin' inferior/inaccurate guns to my knowledge.

Yes, I had heard that also. In fact, over on the Muzzleloader Mag campfire forum, I believe it was Mike Nesbitt explained some formula, which I can't remember, when applied to a .40 caliber, that 1:48 is the perfect rate of twist for that caliber. I can attest to that likely being the case as I have a .40 GM barrel in 1:48 and it shoots RB with tack-driving accuracy.

bubba.50
07-15-2015, 08:49 PM
the Hawken brothers made big bore guns of 50cal & over & the 1 in 48 twist worked for them and most users in that age shot roundballs pretty exclusively. don't think the mountain men would have went up against butt-hurt grizzly bears & cantankerous Indians with an inaccurate gun when not only their next meal but their very lives depended on said weapon.

OverMax
07-15-2015, 08:50 PM
80.00 ($) for rifle in good shape would be something to look into. I think too many fellers grade these B/P rifles inaccurately. Who their manufacture is. Or because or it having a barrel twist someone prefers not to have. American made or not. What difference does it make. Each and every Eurpoean or American made rifle is a shooter and most do it well. So my suggestion is.
Take a look at the rifle. If its cosmetics are appealing. Barrel is bright with good rifling. Hardware is original and works good. For the price wanted. Why not buy it if doesn't break the bank.
Who knows? such a meager priced asked. May turn out to be you're favorite shooter.

bigted
07-15-2015, 11:16 PM
80.00 ($) for rifle in good shape would be something to look into. I think too many fellers grade these B/P rifles inaccurately. Who their manufacture is. Or because or it having a barrel twist someone prefers not to have. American made or not. What difference does it make. Each and every Eurpoean or American made rifle is a shooter and most do it well. So my suggestion is.
Take a look at the rifle. If its cosmetics are appealing. Barrel is bright with good rifling. Hardware is original and works good. For the price wanted. Why not buy it if doesn't break the bank.
Who knows? such a meager priced asked. May turn out to be you're favorite shooter.

dang funny how that works !!!

fastdadio
07-16-2015, 06:21 PM
I have a Traditions Buckskinner carbine that I bought new about 30 years ago. I love it and it is my #1 meat gittin gun. I own several fine firearms for Michigan white tail but the Buckskinner is the one I always reach for. -3" groups at 100yds consistant. It's simply a great, no frills, well made blue collar service grade smoke pole. My advice...Go get it asap.

Boaz
07-16-2015, 07:17 PM
Have owned many Traditions Rifles and have no complaint for the money spent . Still got a few .

bob208
07-18-2015, 01:22 PM
the Hawkins used a 1-48 twist first because it worked and second they had a guide rifling machine. when I worked for bob hoyt we cut for round ball .50 and bigger 1-66 .45 1-52 .40 1-48. I have one of each they all shoot good better then I can. now that said I have a .54 with a 1-48 and it shoots round ball just as good as the others.

richhodg66
07-26-2015, 11:22 PM
So I bought it today. Sure is a small and light rifle for a .54 (it has a synthetic stock). Gonna replace the sights eventually, they are fixed open, but I'll probably shoot it as is just to see.

I have the Lyman plains bullet mold in .54 as well as the Lee REAL and a Thompson Center Maxi Hunter mold. Might have a round ball mold, I need to look around (strange I have all these with limited experience with .54s). I plan to use Pyrodex RS because I have some and can usually get it real cheap after our ML season at Wally World.

I fear this rifle will kick the daylights outta me with hunting loads. I have killed quite a few deer with the .50 call version of that Lyman Plains Bullet and like it a lot, so I'm leaning towards it in this one. Any recommendations as to powder charge?

bubba.50
07-26-2015, 11:50 PM
if there is such a thing, one savin' grace of that plastic stock is it gives ya lots of room to add recoil reducin' weight. I've used modelin' clay mashed full of shot & packed into zip-lock bags to tame a few. presses into the recesses well & stays neat in case ya ever want to remove it.

FrontierMuzzleloading
07-27-2015, 12:24 AM
54cal and round ball is all you'll ever need IMO.

fastdadio
08-07-2015, 10:06 AM
54cal and round ball is all you'll ever need IMO.

^^^^ Yep, what he said ^^^^

fastdadio
08-07-2015, 10:15 AM
So I bought it today. Sure is a small and light rifle for a .54 (it has a synthetic stock). Gonna replace the sights eventually, they are fixed open, but I'll probably shoot it as is just to see.

I have the Lyman plains bullet mold in .54 as well as the Lee REAL and a Thompson Center Maxi Hunter mold. Might have a round ball mold, I need to look around (strange I have all these with limited experience with .54s). I plan to use Pyrodex RS because I have some and can usually get it real cheap after our ML season at Wally World.

I fear this rifle will kick the daylights outta me with hunting loads. I have killed quite a few deer with the .50 call version of that Lyman Plains Bullet and like it a lot, so I'm leaning towards it in this one. Any recommendations as to powder charge?

I'd go to the range and shoot 3 shot groups starting at 60gr. Go up 5 grains per string up to 100 grs. Take your time and clean the bore after every shot. Shoot each string at a clean target or measure each 3 shot group and note it. Pick the tightest group and stay with that.

Denny303
08-14-2015, 11:09 PM
The fox river .54 was sold by cabelas in the late 90s early 2000's time frame. I only know cause my mom bought one for my dad, tho it has a wood stock IIRC.