PDA

View Full Version : What is it?

rockrat
07-13-2015, 07:09 PM
picked this up at a garage sale. Made by "Plumb"

Guessing it might be to cut cedar shingles, but I am no carpenter. Beveled only on one side

What is it?

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/Bigdog337/shingleaxe%20001_zpslpdtulma.jpg (http://s34.photobucket.com/user/Bigdog337/media/shingleaxe%20001_zpslpdtulma.jpg.html)

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/Bigdog337/shingleaxe%20003_zpsqwvcnnoc.jpg (http://s34.photobucket.com/user/Bigdog337/media/shingleaxe%20003_zpsqwvcnnoc.jpg.html)

JWT
07-13-2015, 07:13 PM
That axe was used to square timbers

oneokie
07-13-2015, 07:24 PM
Broad Axe.

waksupi
07-13-2015, 07:31 PM
Yep, I've squared logs with them before. When you get good, it looks like it was planed.

jonp
07-13-2015, 07:42 PM
Square timbers. It looks like a broad axe. The marking looks like Plumb to me. It is beveled on one side and can be used with it's sister for cutting both sides of a log to save the edges and let you work twice as long between sharpening and provide a straight cut on the log.

Like this one: 144468

Read about Plumb: http://www.yesteryearstools.com/Yesteryears%20Tools/Plumb%20Co..html

I have a couple of Plumb axes and they are very good quality. You made a very good find

KCSO
07-13-2015, 07:49 PM
That is a carpenter's hatchet and the bevel is to allow you to square lumber or trim and shape to size. This is what they are suppose to look like and way too many have been butchered by sharpeing them like and ax and giving it a double bevel. I have a book on stockmaking by Alvin Linden where he uses one of those well sharpened to shape a 1903 stock from lumber to almost finished dimensions. Do not ruin it please! If you want something to split wood with send that to me and i will send you a new ax. That is one of my most used tools in the shop and I am always looking for good spares.

GOPHER SLAYER
07-13-2015, 10:43 PM
I have one of those beasts. It has a name on it but I can't quite make it out. I saw a man on TV a few weeks ago using a shingle splitter. It was shaped much like a square but with much thicker metal. The man hit one side of the splitterl with a hammer and it followed the shape he needed for a shake shingle.

waksupi
07-13-2015, 11:15 PM
Square timbers. It looks like a broad axe. The marking looks like Plumb to me. It is beveled on one side and can be used with it's sister for cutting both sides of a log to save the edges and let you work twice as long between sharpening and provide a straight cut on the log.

Like this one: 144468

I just went to the other side of the log, and worked the other direction!

Mk42gunner
07-14-2015, 12:23 AM
Dad had an antique broad hatchet similar to that when I was a kid. Do not use it to hit steel wedges with or hit it with a sledge, either. Dad's had been abused that way and had the eye broken out and brazed back together.

I remember being able to see the demarcation line where the steel edge was welded to the wrought iron body.

Robert

mold maker
07-14-2015, 08:20 AM
I have one of those beasts. It has a name on it but I can't quite make it out. I saw a man on TV a few weeks ago using a shingle splitter. It was shaped much like a square but with much thicker metal. The man hit one side of the splitterl with a hammer and it followed the shape he needed for a shake shingle.

The splitting tool shaped like a thick square, is a fro. The direction of the split is determined by the way pressure is applied.

blackthorn
07-14-2015, 10:40 AM
Quote "The splitting tool shaped like a thick square, is a fro. The direction of the split is determined by the way pressure is applied."

The fro is used primarily for gutting "shakes" for roofing. The cutting edge is placed on the cedar block and the back edge is struck with a wood, brass, lead or other non-marring "hammer".

Thumbcocker
07-14-2015, 11:43 AM
My Grandfather held Plumb axes in high regard.

William Yanda
07-14-2015, 12:46 PM
Quote "The splitting tool shaped like a thick square, is a fro. The direction of the split is determined by the way pressure is applied."

The fro is used primarily for gutting "shakes" for roofing. The cutting edge is placed on the cedar block and the back edge is struck with a wood, brass, lead or other non-marring "hammer".

I think you mean "froe". Usually used with a round wooden mallet.

bob208
07-14-2015, 02:45 PM
they made them in both left and right hand . yours is the left which is the harder to find around here. i have one of each. on the ones with the original handle the handle is even bent to give clearance for the hand.

KCSO
07-14-2015, 04:44 PM
Google broad hatchet or broad ax and you will get the whole story. As to right and left hand, we just put the handle in the other side! I was at rendevous last year and saw a fellow hamer one of these through a billet of oak with a blacksmiths hammer to split his fire wood. I cried for days!

UBER7MM
07-14-2015, 05:44 PM
they made them in both left and right hand . yours is the left which is the harder to find around here. i have one of each. on the ones with the original handle the handle is even bent to give clearance for the hand.

I thought they were symmetrical and one could install the handle to made the axe either left or right handed. My step brother has one. I'll have to take a closer look next time I see him.

jonp
07-14-2015, 06:13 PM
I just went to the other side of the log, and worked the other direction!

What? I never thought of that!

bob208
07-14-2015, 08:33 PM
the ones I am talking about had the eye twisted a little. so you could use straight handles and still have hand clearance.

blackthorn
07-15-2015, 11:15 AM
I think you mean "froe". Usually used with a round wooden mallet.

Yep William you are correct. I know better but I guess I just copied from the post above mine.

454 shooter
07-19-2015, 07:54 AM
My Dad had one and he called it a left handed hewing axe. I think it belonged to his father.

waynem34
07-19-2015, 01:09 PM
Half Hatchet.

rockrat
07-19-2015, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the info. I will google it. It was a bit out of the ordinary, so I couldn't pass it up at the garage sale.