PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new Pepepr Mill

coleman
07-13-2015, 04:48 AM
Right now I am looking for a new pepper mill/grinder, the current one I have is a cheap one that doesn't work very will with the tri color pepper corns. Looking around on the net there are a lot of choices. I don't want a electric grinder. I just want a good hand crank adjustable pepper mill. Can anyone give me some pointers where to look or what brands?
Thanks Coleman

Wayne Smith
07-13-2015, 07:43 AM
I turn wood, have made many. The gravity fed grinders (are there any other type?) don't handle the green and red pepper corns at all, they are too light to feed. The ones I make have the ceramic works in them, not metal. I have one with Allspice in it and it barely feeds for the same reason. What I am saying is that all of the crank style pepper mills will have problems with the lighter weight corns.

PbHurler
07-13-2015, 08:06 AM
I'll suggest you look for what is actually a Turkish coffee mill such as this:

I've been through many "pepper mills" as well; but years ago the "Frugal Gourmet" Jeff Smith stated he used a coffee mill.
My wife purchased one for me back then (about $36.00 then). You can now find them on the "net".
This is the ONLY mill I've ever used that I've had no issues with. I only use whole black peppercorns. The mill I have(looks just like the photo) has performed flawlessly for better than 25 years.

Oh, and Wayne's right; I've always had issues with the red / green / white peppercorns in the numerous pepper grinders I've had. They seemed to not feed as well as the black corns. Maybe because the black corns have a rougher surface and are easier for the burr to get ahold of. ??

Good luck on your search

JRPVT
07-13-2015, 09:18 AM
Or go the cheap way and get the one on the spice rack at your local store...name brand...has worked ok for me. they come filled with different pepper corn..Dave

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-13-2015, 09:48 AM
I tried a few , this one has lasted the longest , and worked the best http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Pepper-Mill/dp/B003L0OOQM/ref=lp_15850251_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1436794933&sr=1-1

I don't use the tri color so I don't know how it will work with them but it works well with black peppercorns

don't try to over fill it it seems to work best when 1/2 full and the corns can move around and not get caught up on each other but at least it is easy to fill

Moonman
07-13-2015, 10:39 AM
"BRASS" TURKISH COFFEE MILL, online $36 to $110 plus shipping.

dagger dog
07-13-2015, 04:07 PM
http://www.campmor.com/gsi-outdoors-javagrind-hand-45-crank-coffee-grinder.shtml

See if the link works. I have 3 of their older versions 1 for pepper 2 for different spices, they work ! You can set the coarseness of the grind. My oldest one must be 20 years and still going.

shooter2
07-13-2015, 06:18 PM
We have both manual and electric. With the electric mill we only use black pepper corns, but it works flawlessly. No complaints at all. The manual mills have ceramic grinders and we have been using them for over twenty years. No troubles at all and have used black red and green pepper corns. Can't give you the brands on the manual mills as they are not labeled, Sorry.

coleman
07-14-2015, 03:25 AM
Thanks for all the info! It is what I wanted.