PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Weight/Linotype Blend Ratio

sdh56
07-12-2015, 04:26 PM
I have some ingots made from wheel weights and have acquired some linotype lead, and would like some advise on the blend ratio. I did a 1:1 blend by weight and the 38 caliber handgun bullets came out great. The edges were formed perfectly, much better than straight wheel weights. They also shot well, but straight wheel weights have also worked well.

However, should I go with a different ratio of wheel weights/linotype for my low velocity 38 special loads?

I would also like to try loading 30-30 cast bullets, and would like advice on a blend ratio for that too.

I would appreciate any input on how to blend my linotype. Thanks.

SDH56

SteveS
07-12-2015, 04:41 PM
IMO, wheel weights don't need lino for 38 loads. It works great but is a waste of lino.

Lino composition is roughly 12% antimony and 4% tin. For me that means I use it to harden an alloy. For .38 specials wheel weights are usually hard enough. With the addition of a % or two of tin, great.

Save that lino for the 30/30.

tygar
07-12-2015, 10:30 PM
1 lino to 9 WWs makes a hard magnum pistol bullet. 2#s is close to #2. Don't have my cheat sheets but I use a little less than #2 for pistol up to 500 S&W w/GCs with no problem. For "hot" mag loads I just water drop, gets it real hard.

For 45, 38, 9mm, 44s etc & 44mags that arn't super hot WWs work fine. If the WWs arn't dropping nice filled out bullets a touch of tin, pewter or lino will fill them out.

luky-dude
07-13-2015, 07:57 PM
Lino--is that those readly hard weights that you can hardy mark with a side cutter? I check all my wheel weights with a cutter I know its not a zinc one or steel but some are damn hard.

dale2242
07-14-2015, 07:54 AM
For my handguns I use a #2 blend. 9WW/1solder. Straight WWs will work fine.
For my rifle boolitsI use 50/50. WW/Lino.
For 22 cal boolits in pure lino.....dale

bangerjim
07-14-2015, 11:52 AM
Lino--is that those readly hard weights that you can hardy mark with a side cutter? I check all my wheel weights with a cutter I know its not a zinc one or steel but some are damn hard.

No!

"Lino" is short for Linotype........."line of type" (literally)......long strips of words and sentences cast in harder lead alloy used in printing. And NOT normally the spacers. And NOT the individual letters! Those are either mono or foundry type. Even harder.

I have never seen lino in COWW's .............much too expensive.

banger

bangerjim
07-14-2015, 11:53 AM
I have some ingots made from wheel weights and have acquired some linotype lead, and would like some advise on the blend ratio. I did a 1:1 blend by weight and the 38 caliber handgun bullets came out great. The edges were formed perfectly, much better than straight wheel weights. They also shot well, but straight wheel weights have also worked well.

However, should I go with a different ratio of wheel weights/linotype for my low velocity 38 special loads?

I would also like to try loading 30-30 cast bullets, and would like advice on a blend ratio for that too.

I would appreciate any input on how to blend my linotype. Thanks.

SDH56

Get the FREE alloy calculator spreadsheet off this website. It will answer all your questions on mixes, alloys, and hardness.

banger

luky-dude
07-14-2015, 02:41 PM
Well thanks--Don't want to jack this guys thread but what are they then? I can mark them with a cutter but I have too really try. Zinc and steel not a mark. Don't want to wreck a pot of lead. I try for 650 to 700 deg.

dondiego
07-14-2015, 02:51 PM
Well thanks--Don't want to jack this guys thread but what are they then? I can mark them with a cutter but I have too really try. Zinc and steel not a mark. Don't want to wreck a pot of lead. I try for 650 to 700 deg.

I am thinking mostly zinc. An alloy of zinc? If it is a hard lead alloy it will melt at 650 or lower. Zinc won't.

bangerjim
07-14-2015, 03:20 PM
Drip some muriatic (pool/HCl) acid on them and see if it fizzes up. Zn reacts to HCl. Pb, Sn, Sb do nothing but sit there.

Only other way is an x-ray gun shoot at your local friendly scrap yard.

banger

luky-dude
07-14-2015, 05:35 PM
Thanks again