PDA

View Full Version : Microwave died need advise

xs11jack
07-10-2015, 05:14 PM
My old microwave died this morning, I had save it twice before and got 6 more years out of it, but this time, I couldn't get it back. So I haven't paid any attention to what microwaves are all about in this day and age. Any one got some sage advise as to what is a good reliable machine that will not kill my bank account? Thanks.
Ole Jack

jcwit
07-10-2015, 05:22 PM
We use our micro wave to heat up leftovers or thaw out frozen eats. Years ago I bought the cheapest one available at the time, still working great, if I need to replace, a $35/$50 dollar one will be just fine.

Handloader109
07-10-2015, 05:25 PM
Buy another !

Get the cheapest that is big enough for you. The cheapest are usually small....bought a $80 one at the Wally world for my work a while back. Works well.

JeffinNZ
07-10-2015, 06:34 PM
Yeap, buy a new one and shoot the one old. Everyone wins.

Beagle333
07-10-2015, 06:53 PM
Wally World cheapo works just fine. Thrift store is usually full of them too.

jcren
07-10-2015, 07:35 PM
Stay away from bs creatures like "crisper" or broiler functions. We have one with a broiler element and it would arc whenever anything got on the broiler element. Never used it, so just removed the dang thing.

mold maker
07-10-2015, 07:55 PM
All the bells and whistles, only make a cheap microwave cost more. The Wally World
el-cheap-o does exactly the same function. If it doesn't come with a good looking cook included, stick with simple.

labradigger1
07-10-2015, 08:05 PM
If you are crafty, save the turntable motor for your diy collator

andremajic
07-10-2015, 08:38 PM
Whatever you do, don't buy Frigidaire brand microwaves. They should have stuck to refrigerators...

bangerjim
07-10-2015, 08:47 PM
Buy a new one......send that one to the dump.

Buy a Panasonic!!!!! Best there is due to inverter technology. It actually varies the power to the magnetron tube to get lower heats. Smooth even heating. Cost effective to run and highest full power is 1800 watts. Costco sells them and I have 3 of them! Around $70 last time I bought one. These seem to last for a long time. Do NOT buy an oven with a broiler function!

banger

GSM
07-10-2015, 10:57 PM
Get a Cheapo!

They are all throw aways anymore.

Save the glass if the old one is a turntable - nice plate for cakes.

BrassMagnet
07-10-2015, 11:00 PM
Do not buy an old one.
The safety standards keep changing.
I refuse to use microwave ovens, but then I am exposed to more microwave energy every day I go to work than you ever are using a microwave oven.

tward
07-10-2015, 11:10 PM
+1 on Panasonic, had one for 27 years bought a new one. Love the inverter turbo defrost and the turntable. Tim

jsizemore
07-10-2015, 11:11 PM
Woohoo! Finally something we got a shot at before the BM. It's a miracle!

BrassMagnet
07-10-2015, 11:33 PM
Woohoo! Finally something we got a shot at before the BM. It's a miracle!

Expect more chances. Mrs. Brass has banned me from Swapping & Selling!

Plate plinker
07-10-2015, 11:46 PM
Get a Cheapo!

They are all throw aways anymore.

Save the glass if the old one is a turntable - nice plate for cakes.very true

MaryB
07-11-2015, 12:12 AM
if you carefully pull the magnetron apart there is a fun donut magnet to play with

destrux
07-11-2015, 12:20 AM
How did it die? Ours only needed the grease cleaned off the mica "gun" window inside last time we had trouble. The grease clogs the material the rays go through and makes the microwave pop and spark. Popped the grid out and cleaned it and it was like new. Wish I'd known the trick with our last microwave before I scrapped it.

MT Gianni
07-11-2015, 12:23 AM
Keeping one over 10 years can be risky due to door leakage. Buy a cheap one unless you are stuck with a combo range hood.

EDK
07-11-2015, 12:34 AM
Go to "THE NIEMAN-MARCUS OF ST CHARLES COUNTY" (I live in Jefferson county.) Big blue sign; open 24/7; has everything but 22 ammo. Buy the one with the least amount of bells and whistles.

bhn22
07-11-2015, 12:16 PM
Expect more chances. Mrs. Brass has banned me from Swapping & Selling!

Maybe she objects to the three shipping containers in the backyard filled with stuff? :bigsmyl2:

bhn22
07-11-2015, 12:17 PM
Oh yeah, microwaves are now the "Bic" lighters of the kitchen. Use it up, then buy another one.

waynem34
07-11-2015, 01:12 PM
May have been said already but there is a fuse inside that may have blown.

xs11jack
07-11-2015, 03:39 PM
Some have asked for fatal symptoms: about a month ago, it started to turn on the turntable and light when ever we opened the door, then yesterday I opened the door and everything is dead, no light, no turntable with door open or closed and buttons pushed. I can enter a time but it won't do anything. I am leaning toward the pretty cheap Panasonic.
Ole Jack

MaryB
07-11-2015, 11:29 PM
Sounds like the CPU or keypad went. By the time you pay for parts and the time to install them a $59 elcheapo makes sense.

snuffy
07-12-2015, 09:55 AM
I don't understand the attitude of some here to get the cheapest mickey wave. For me mine has to be able to cook and make meals.

I bought a Panasonic from wally world about 5 years ago. I has the inverter technology that is soooo useful for many things. Like turbo defrost to thaw frozen meats. Or the sensor that automatically heats warmed up leftovers to eating temps with one push of a button. Or the glass turntable that revolves at exactly one turn every ten seconds. Put in your coffee cup for any multiple of ten seconds, when it's done, the handle is presented so you can pick it up by the handle. 1250 watts is much more than those cheapies that are being suggested. It's necessary for making popcorn and some frozen meals take forever in the low powered El-cheapos.

SeabeeMan
07-12-2015, 10:49 AM
We have 2 small ones from when my wife and I were single and they are still going strong, so there is nothing wrong in my book with the cheap ones. One even lives in the garage to reheat my coffee when I'm working out there in the winter.

We have a range hood style Kenmore that we spent about $250 on at Sears, and I have been very happy with it. It does have some bells and whistles as far as programs and quick buttons, but the only features I'd ever spend money on are a +30 second button, the ability to run 1,2,3, etc minutes just by pressing the 1,2,3... buttons, and a popcorn button (if you're into that kind of thing.)

Talk about first world problems. I can't be bothered to press 4 buttons to make my magical cooking box run for a certain amount of time. No sir, I want to press one button, thank you very much.

bangerjim
07-12-2015, 11:00 AM
Cheeeeeeeeep is not always...........best!

Last I heard El Cheapo and Manual Labor were president & vice president of Mexico!

Spend the money, get the best. You will NOT be sorry.

banger

marvelshooter
07-12-2015, 05:41 PM
When my fairly large counter top model quit we bought one that mounts over the cook stove. It has an exhaust fan built into it. The difference between another counter top model and this one was money very well spent. It freed up 3 feet of counter space for not much additional money.

6bg6ga
07-12-2015, 06:21 PM
Microwaves are good for one thing and that is heating up coffee. Outside of that they are totally worthless and should be banned.

jcwit
07-12-2015, 06:33 PM
I don't understand the attitude of some here to get the cheapest mickey wave. For me mine has to be able to cook and make meals.

I bought a Panasonic from wally world about 5 years ago. I has the inverter technology that is soooo useful for many things. Like turbo defrost to thaw frozen meats. Or the sensor that automatically heats warmed up leftovers to eating temps with one push of a button. Or the glass turntable that revolves at exactly one turn every ten seconds. Put in your coffee cup for any multiple of ten seconds, when it's done, the handle is presented so you can pick it up by the handle. 1250 watts is much more than those cheapies that are being suggested. It's necessary for making popcorn and some frozen meals take forever in the low powered El-cheapos.

Really? How bout that. Our $50 dollar unit pops pop corn just fine thank you.

Mytmousemalibu
07-12-2015, 06:52 PM
Just in case, if you decide to use the old one for target practice or pull it apart for parts harvest, the ceramic element on the magnetron usually contains beryllium dioxide and there is also a thoriated element in there that both can be pulverized by boolits and that's not stuff you want in your body! Just be careful!

Beyond that, nothing more irritating than a weak mirco-nuker, I have always liked and had good luck with the Panasonic machines, that's my vote too.

wv109323
07-12-2015, 09:53 PM
I would buy a large one in size. The last time we down sized to a smaller unit. The inside is so small you can not cover the plate with a paper towel and let it rotate with the plate. The towel corners catch on the sides and the paper towel does not cover the food. You end up with food slattered on the inside.

MaryB
07-13-2015, 12:14 AM
I use mine to melt butter for popcorn and occasionally nuke veg for supper... never use it to cook a meal. So the $50 el cheapo does just fine...

DougGuy
07-13-2015, 12:27 AM
+4 for the Panasonic! Inverters kick butt! Why spend good money on something that just does a so so job? The Panasonic with it's 1300w of power does everything good and saves you time every time you use it because it's powerful, and NOT SLOW!

Don't buy the cheapest one you can find. Over a few years the extra 10-20 seconds it wastes every time you use it adds up to a significant amount of time that you could be doing other things. You can waste money and still make it back time and time again. Time is not something you can get back when it's gone. Buy the Panasonic!

Cmm_3940
07-13-2015, 06:45 AM
If you buy a new one, the brand really doesn't matter. They're all engineered to last about 6 years. Just get the cheapest one the SO won't object to clashing with the décor.

xs11jack
07-13-2015, 08:53 PM
Well, the hunt is over, I went to Costco and found a 1200 watt Panasonic on sale for $89 with the new technology. One thing I don't like about it but will live with it, is that you have to push the power button a number of times to get the power level you want. Other than that, I am happy, the wife is happy, everyone is Happy, Happy, Happy!! Thank you each and everyone for your help. I do appreciate it.
Ole Jack