PDA

View Full Version : heavy boolits

calsite
03-26-2008, 10:06 AM
I tried out my 429421 mould for the first time the other day. after lubing and sizing and just for S & G's I decided to weigh one of my boolits, she topped my Hornady powder scale at 253grs. the mould is supposed to be throwing 245 grainers, Is this a pretty typical variance? My alloy is pretty close to a Lyman #2 with a 2% of tin added. I would think that persons unaware could get themselves into trouble with pressure levels assuming they were shooting a
240-5 gr. boolits?

AR15-SBR
03-26-2008, 10:11 AM
Same as you, I had an eye opener when I weight my first 429421. Mine ran 253-258 grains. Looked around this site and found that to be the norm.

I have never loaded anything to the max and 9 grains of Unique in my 44mag makes a very nice load.

Enjoy

AR15-SBR

Larry Gibson
03-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Lyman says 429421 weighs 245 gr when cast with linotype. Linotype alloy casts a lighter bullet, that is the difference. Look in the Cast Bullet Handbook, Third Edition.

Larry Gibson

1Shirt
03-26-2008, 11:58 PM
Maybe it is just me, but with the exception of one or two of my 22 molds, I have never had my cast drop from the mold and tip the scale exactly as the book says they should be. That includes running straight lino a couple of times. But then who cares as long as they go down the tube right and don't produce keyholes on the paper.
1Shirt!:coffee::coffee:

HeavyMetal
03-27-2008, 12:18 AM
Yeah it's a funny thing Lyman tells everyone to use the number 2 alloy but all thier molds are designed to use Lino as a casting alloy.

A good idea, for beginners and old pro's, is to always weigh a fresh batch of boolits and always weigh when you get a new mold.

A constant in the world: what the mold says it makes and what the mold really makes can be way different! Alway check !