PDA

View Full Version : First try at something new to me

Ohio3Wheels
07-09-2015, 04:19 PM
Yesterday I mixed up my first batch of the modified Emmert's formula. Two members of my dog club gifted me with about 5 pounds of beeswax so I thought it was time to use some of it since the weather made it a non-range day. I haven't found anhydrous lanolin locally so i used a lanolin oil that i got at a health food store.(by the way what does anhydrous lanolin look like?)

I had some Lee 457405 that I had cast with 20-1 (Cable sheath and 50/50) ladle and pot poured that drop at .460 and 420 grains. I plan to try these as cast over black powder in my 45-70 Rossi Wizard SS as soon as I either find some 45 wads or get a punch and make some. Made the Emmerts to use with both the 45-70 and the 40-65.

Decided to try pan lubing for the first time and I think they came out pretty good.144143

Make smoke,
Curt

Blackwater
07-10-2015, 05:56 AM
Lanolin is a really gooey brown sort of stuff, and you'll recognize the smell if you're old enough to have used some scrape treatments for abraded knees and such from yesteryear. I got my first tub from the local pharmacy. I think someone on this board also sells it, and it may be a little cheaper from them. A little goes a long way in lubes. Sure makes the lubes stick to your bullets. Very sticky.

Not familiar with what you bought, but FWIW, various concoctions use lanolin, and the amounts in them varies pretty widely. Some use it more for its stickiness so it'll stay in place, and others for its intrinsic healing properties. It also seems to inhibit bacterial growth, and probably helps keep lubes from going rancid? Not sure about that last but somebody here will clarify, I'm sure.

I really like Emmert's with lanolin. Excellent BP lube in my experience. It should serve you well.

Tatume
07-10-2015, 07:28 AM
Anhydrous means the compound does not contain water. Anhydrous lanolin is usually pure lanolin, and it can be found in most pharmacies, including Walmart and Walgreens (I just checked). It is an excellent rust prevention substance. If your lanolin is not anhydrous then it contains water, and may also contain salt. I would recommend that you not use lanolin unless you can confirm that it is anhydrous.

Ohio3Wheels
07-11-2015, 12:58 AM
Not at the local Walmarts around here, all I get there is deer in the head light stares. I'll give Walgreens a try first chance I get. The stuff I've got is from Home Health and is labeled Liquid Lanolin and the contents are just listed as lanolin oil. It's about the color of a medium honey and about as viscous. Guess I'll see how this batch works. I'm going to try to put some loads together for the 45-70 Wizard over the next day or two then hope for weather to hit the range with the chronograph to test thos and some other loads I've got put together. have a good week-end guys.

Make smoke,
Curt

WALLNUTT
07-11-2015, 07:43 AM
Try to find nipple cream for nursing mothers.

Ohio3Wheels
07-11-2015, 11:57 AM
Try to find nipple cream for nursing mothers.

Thanks, I'll take a look for that. The one tube of that that came up on a search for anhydrous lanolin seemed to indicate that it had something in addition to the lanolin.

Make smoke,
Curt