PDA

View Full Version : Spray Marker Dye

woody1
07-08-2015, 01:23 PM
As with nearly every question asked, there's someone here who has been there/done that. My question is what's the best spray marker dye you've used? I've used several according to instructions and even heavier concentrations and I've found none that I can really see more than about 5 minutes after I've sprayed. I'm talking about spot spraying weeds with a backpack sprayer, not boom spraying a lawn or pasture. Anyone? Regards, Woody

oneokie
07-08-2015, 02:15 PM
Have you tried food coloring? Are you adding a surfactant to the mix?

woody1
07-08-2015, 03:18 PM
NO, and yes. Food coloring basically doesn't work from what I've read. I suppose if one used enough it might work. I have used
Hi-Light ® Blue Spray Indicator and another I disremember the name of. I just got some Mark-It Blue but haven't tried it yet. Regards, Woody

oneokie
07-08-2015, 03:46 PM
One never knows until they try. Having said that, years ago, I got some dye from a local chemical warehouse that was red in color that worked very well with glyphosphate used in a hand sprayer. It was very spendy best I recall.

country gent
07-08-2015, 03:51 PM
Alot of the farmers are using foam markers on the srayers around here. I seen a field done and there was foam still there 4 hours later. Not sure just what it actually is but it leaves a fowm line about 6: high and wide down the fields from the outside tips of the sprayer boom. Might be something to look into though.

David2011
07-08-2015, 03:56 PM
Most feed stores carry the commercial markers. They run $15-$20/quart but if using a small pump sprayer they only need 1/2-1 oz per batch of spray.

David

rancher1913
07-08-2015, 10:41 PM
the foam comes from a separate tank and it does not mix with chemicals, it just shows operator where boom has been. with gps nowadays you don't see it as much. whoever you get you chemicals from should have a dye to use. what weeds are you spot spraying? I might be able to give you a recipe that you don't have to worry about a little over spray. I have recipes for pasture that can be grazed right away to really good thistle spray and everything in between.

woody1
07-08-2015, 11:43 PM
I'm not worrying about a little overspray. I'm just tired of spraying the same plants 2 and three times or walking up to one only to see a faint blue mark on something beside it. As I said, I've used 2 spray marker dyes purchased where I get my sprays. So far they don't last long enough for me to walk a couple hundred feet and back again unless sprayed on something like a post, dead stalk, dead grass or something similar. Can't see it on say a live Canada thistle or bull thistle, which are a couple of the weeds I'm spraying. I just thought mebe someone here had experience with a product they were happy with. I'm using Curtail for the thistles and it seems to work well. There are no grazing restrictions for my horses and cows. Regards, Woody

rancher1913
07-09-2015, 08:54 AM
for thistle gets your hands on some milestone, it makes curtail look like kids stuff. no grazing restrictions and has a residual effect to keep the thistle from coming back. you won't need dye, spray one day and go out the next to check for missed areas, the thistle you sprayed will be looking sick as all get out.

bangerjim
07-09-2015, 10:37 AM
Now we are really "down in the weeds"! [smilie=s:

I thought this was a question on machinist's spray-on dyes for alignment of parts and the such.

ol skool
07-09-2015, 10:06 PM
Probably used the same two as you, High Light and Mark it Blue. Like Mark it Blue better. Neither are great 1/2 hour later, but Mark it Blue seems a little darker so I don't have to walk right up on top of it to see if it got it's squirt.

Minerat
07-09-2015, 10:28 PM
I haven't found it but the guy that does the weeds around our office building uses a yellow or orangish colored die marker the lasts for a week unless it rains. If I can catch him I'll get an name but may be a couple of weeks though.

sdcitizen
07-09-2015, 10:31 PM
Spray Tracer Red is what you want. I used to use it, it will a much darker color for days on everything if mixed in the appropriate amounts. I believe I used to use 20cc (maybe 30) per 2.5 gal for spot spraying, but add it at the very end, or it will make nasty glue-like solids with some chemicals. Unlike the blue, which are designed to fade in the sun, the red doesn't seem to hardly wash off even after a rain. That Milestone really is the stuff for any thistles, though I see that Curtail contains the same active ingredient, as well as another chemical. Personally I like Capstone mixed with Transline for the tough to kill stuff.

woody1
07-10-2015, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the responses. I have used the High Light, it's the one I just finished and wasn't happy with it. Mark it Blue I have but haven't used yet. Waiting for rain/wind to quit long enough to use it.

horsesoldier
07-10-2015, 05:20 PM
I use hi light professionally, if you dump a bunch in it should work for your purpose.

horsesoldier
07-10-2015, 05:23 PM
Milestone will sure melt Canadian thistle. I spray it at 7 ounces to an acre. 2 to 3 year residual and its better to use around water than curtail or transline

Three44s
07-13-2015, 01:04 AM
I like a 200 Komatsu ........ for the really tough ones ........ I'll use the thumb!

Three 44s