PDA

View Full Version : Best Twist and barrel length for the 6x45

brstevns
07-07-2015, 11:46 AM
Thinking of putting a 6x45 barrel on a Savage rifle. What would be the best twist for the 90 gr and 100 gr bullets and would a 24 inch barrel be better then a 22 inch?

MBTcustom
07-07-2015, 05:21 PM
I'm all over this cartridge and will be building rifles in it soon.
For bullets up to 100 grains (this from Sierra bullets ballistician) go no slower than 1-9 twist.
Personally, I'm going with 1-8 simply because they are available for purchase almost anywhere, and if I build one of these, it's going to be fed the lighter bullets.
Go no slower than 1-9 and 1-8 is the safe money.

Stick with Krieger, Bartlein, and Brux, and you will be a happy camper.

brstevns
07-07-2015, 06:09 PM
I'm all over this cartridge and will be building rifles in it soon.
For bullets up to 100 grains (this from Sierra bullets ballistician) go no slower than 1-9 twist.
Personally, I'm going with 1-8 simply because they are available for purchase almost anywhere, and if I build one of these, it's going to be fed the lighter bullets.
Go no slower than 1-9 and 1-8 is the safe money.

Stick with Krieger, Bartlein, and Brux, and you will be a happy camper. Then if I were to shoot mostly 100gr the 1-8 would be better the then 1-10 correct?

pertnear
07-07-2015, 06:55 PM
Thinking of putting a 6x45 barrel on a Savage rifle. What would be the best twist for the 90 gr and 100 gr bullets and would a 24 inch barrel be better then a 22 inch?
Just wondering, what is the fixation with 90 & 100gr bullets? The little case is hard pressed to shoot 2,700 fps with a 90gr bullet. There are are a number of new light weight 6mm bullets in the 60 to 80gr range that are a better match to the .223 sized boiler room. Of course this implies a slower twist in theory, although not all rifles follow the rules! Interesting project, good luck & let us know how it turns out.

brstevns
07-07-2015, 08:19 PM
Fixation? Well I have about 800 100gr bullets lying around.

MBTcustom
07-07-2015, 08:36 PM
Fixation? Well I have about 800 100gr bullets lying around.

Uh, yeah. That's a good reason! LOL!

Do not go with the 1-10. It's too slow unless you stick to the really light bullets, but if you go 1-8 (and there's a plethora of delicious options out there in that twist) not only will you be able to stabilize 100 grain bullets even in the 2400FPS range, but you can use it for the lighter bullets too.
When we're talking about stabilizing bullets, slower is better until all of a sudden it isn't anymore. On the other hand, the bullet quality has gotten so good in this century that you almost can't over spin until the bullet literally turns into a grey poof of smoke at the 50 yard line, and the little 6X45 just can't squeeze out the juice to do that, so faster is better.

Of course, 7.5 twist is a total waste and starting to get a little ridiculous unless you want the increased pressure to help burn slower powders. Personally, I'm interested in the 6X45 as a cheap, do it all, white tail deer and under, at less than 400 yards, type of rifle. YMMV.

All things considered, go with the 1-8 and let the rough edge drag.

Concerning barrel length, my philosophy is to use the longest barrel you can drag to the place you plan on shooting. I want to do a 24" medium-light profile. I want a rifle that weighs less than 12lb with a scope attached.

B R Shooter
07-08-2015, 07:01 AM
If you have an action that has the .223 boltface, then go for it. But the OP has a Savage, so getting a different bolt head is no problem. Given that option, I would opt for a 6BR. Plenty of room for all sorts of loads.

The 6x45 was a finicky cartridge in the benchrest world. As stated here, not enough boiler room. But, simply necking up brass, and so much cheap brass available, it offers a lot of desirability.

brstevns
07-08-2015, 09:52 AM
Uh, yeah. That's a good reason! LOL!

Do not go with the 1-10. It's too slow unless you stick to the really light bullets, but if you go 1-8 (and there's a plethora of delicious options out there in that twist) not only will you be able to stabilize 100 grain bullets even in the 2400FPS range, but you can use it for the lighter bullets too.
When we're talking about stabilizing bullets, slower is better until all of a sudden it isn't anymore. On the other hand, the bullet quality has gotten so good in this century that you almost can't over spin until the bullet literally turns into a grey poof of smoke at the 50 yard line, and the little 6X45 just can't squeeze out the juice to do that, so faster is better.

Of course, 7.5 twist is a total waste and starting to get a little ridiculous unless you want the increased pressure to help burn slower powders. Personally, I'm interested in the 6X45 as a cheap, do it all, white tail deer and under, at less than 400 yards, type of rifle. YMMV.

All things considered, go with the 1-8 and let the rough edge drag.

Concerning barrel length, my philosophy is to use the longest barrel you can drag to the place you plan on shooting. I want to do a 24" medium-light profile. I want a rifle that weighs less than 12lb with a scope attached. Thanks, I will go with the 8 then. Sounds as if we are thinking the same way for a target-hunting rifle. Most shots on Whitetail were I hunt is no more then 200 yards.
Going to be awhile before I get mine build, small SS income slows things down. Was planning to make a swap-out barrel rifle out of a Savage 200 in .223rem

EDG
07-13-2015, 10:54 AM
I have a 6X47 Rem 40XBR from the late 1970s. The original barrel has a 14" twist for 68 grain bullets and it shoots 75 grain bullets wonderfully.

I don't know how it shoots long 85 grain HPs because I have never hit a target with one.

The 6X47 uses the .222 Rem Mag case. I consider it only a varmit rifle so I would not go any faster than a 12" twist.

brstevns
07-14-2015, 09:04 PM
Going to try a 1-9 Green Mountain Barrel.

brstevns
11-03-2015, 10:11 PM
Still looking for some loads, will also be trying a 85gr cast bullet

Randy C
11-21-2015, 09:42 PM
Has there been any updates on your build, ( 6x45 ) I'm still thinking about one because I have a Corbin Press and 6mm dies I would like to shoot light bullets / it uses less powder for plinking and will work good for yots here. I shoot 243wssm now,

brstevns
11-22-2015, 12:38 PM
Well the barrel arrived Thursday. Things got changed around a little. Decided to go with a bull barrel since I will be shooting mostly paper and hopefully a Prairie Dog or two.
The only bullets I have right now are some Hornady 100gr. Going to trade a few things I no longer need for some 50 to 68 gr bullets.