PDA

View Full Version : Savage Axis .308 Heavy Barrel & .30 XCB Bullet Design - A Winner

mfraser264
07-06-2015, 10:41 PM
Was looking around for a inexpensive .308 heavy barrel rifle strictly for lead alloy bullets and purchased a Savage Axis. Was surprised to learn Savage had a 22' heavy barrel. Installed an after market trigger spring to reduce the trigger pull, changed the stock over to a Boyd's and then fired lapped the barrel. It had a $50 rebate also.

Stumbled upon the .30 XCB Project and after reading all the posts I thought I would try a NOE .30 XCB 4 cavity brass mold. Mold is first class, money well spent. Check NOE out when you have a chance. Weight in LT alloy running 158.7 grains.

Here are the details: Casting with Linotype alloy, sizing to .310", Hornady gas check, BAC Lube Special Blend, Winchester large rifle primers, AA2230 powder, and 1974 wooden bullet blank brass form Cheaper Than Dirt 20 + years ago.

I have set the sizing die to just touch the shoulder and seat the bullet to just cover the lube grooves. Also using the Lyman "M" die. Velocity is est. at 1,800 fps.

Best 5 shot group at 100 yards measuring 1.117". Weight sorting the bullets is a must. 50 yard groups more than once can be covered with a quarter.

Twist note - 1 in 10 not creating an issue. .30 XCB group was concerned about the spin. Lower velocity so far is great. Optics are a Leupold VX1 4x12.

This will be the subject of shooting the rest of the summer. The low cost of investment is great, very accurate, low cost ammo. Isn't this what it is all about? Opps, already had the scope.

Hope this is useful.

runfiverun
07-07-2015, 12:56 AM
keep going.
a good boolit design don't care what the twist rate is.
2400 fps should be a non issue if the launch is good, and the boolit is centered in the barrel.

nekshot
07-07-2015, 08:32 AM
yup. lookin good. Now crank the speed up and give a report! I might have to save up for that mold!

mfraser264
07-07-2015, 09:11 AM
Have cast up 2 more heats of bullets. Will be inspecting and sizing this week. As the powder charge increased the accuracy began to open up. Saved a 10 shot target from 200 yards and will reverse calculate the velocity from that and get the FPS fairly close. Accuracy and best value per shot is my goal on this project. Between keeping the house going and changing jobs it has been a bit busy these past couple of weeks. Will post the pic of the 100 target yet this week.

Larry Gibson
07-07-2015, 02:53 PM
mfraser264

If you want to push velocities higher you might consider slower burning powders. I've had excellent success in my own 24" barreled .308W test rifle with a 10" twist using RL19, AA4350, H4831SC and RL22 under the 30 XCB. Nothing wrong with the lower velocities your shooting at though, especially with the excellent accuracy you're achieving. If you want to PM me the actual load data I can load some up and velocity/pressure test them?

Larry Gibson

mfraser264
07-07-2015, 08:37 PM
Larry,

Any thoughts on AA2217 (H1000)? Once I burn up the supply of 2230 then on to the next supply of powder on hand. Using only what I have on hand for this project. I have noted your powders for future reference and appreciate it.

Mark

Larry Gibson
07-08-2015, 06:01 PM
Mark

H1000 is a very slow burning powder made for us in large capacity magnum cases or long range shooting such as at 1000 yards, hence the name H1000. I have not tried it in the .308W with cast or jacketed bullets. The question is will it ignite and burn consistently in the smaller .308W case under a lighter weight cast bullet? Remains to be seen. I would suggest starting at 80% case capacity an using a magnum primer such as the WLRM or Fed 215sshould you try it.

Larry Gibson

mfraser264
07-08-2015, 09:57 PM
Larry,

Have used H1000 behind the RCBS 165 Sil. for a couple of years. A few kernels left in the barrel but it did work. Another rifle liked it and this one does not. Since the .30 XCB is lighter in weight, thinking maybe not this time around. My records showed the last time used the amount was 42.0 grains, WLR primer and IMI match brass. Maybe the surplus lower cost powders that are of use will come back sometime soon in the future. I have IMR 4350 back am reserving that. Do have a few pounds of AA 2495. Remounted the Lube-a-Matic and began sorting as cast bullets tonight. Thinking Sunday for the next trip to the range. Been a struggle to keep as cast bullets ahead of the bench rest.