PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here done LASEK (ASA)?

.45Cole
07-06-2015, 01:47 PM
I'm considering LASEK (like LASIK combined with PRK) not to be confused with LASIK and I was wondering what you guys think of it. I really don't want to give up anything (except money) and I have great low light visibility, which I have heard is what it may cost the average person.

Eddie17
07-06-2015, 01:56 PM
I had PRK over 10 years ago now. Was not able for Lasik due to thin cornea (spelling?).
Was a little painfull, but eyesite at the end was well worth it in my book.
Wish I had it done years sooner but money was tight!

Electric88
07-06-2015, 02:01 PM
I'm also curious about this... I had heard that many people end up suffering from extremely dry eyes. I would love to get the procedure done and not need glasses/contacts, but I don't want the nasty dry eyes

Blackwater
07-06-2015, 02:25 PM
I haven't had it, but a friend who has some eye problems can't have the cure now because he had lasic a few years ago. I can't recall the details, but before I had it, I'd look into that aspect of it, and decide accordingly. All the people I've known who had it were pretty satisfied, except for that one individual, so if you elect to do it, it's likely you'll get a good result. I just wish I could remember what the problem was that the guy had that he couldn't get the treatment due to the lasic. Sorry. My CRS disease creeps in at the most inconvenient moments!

Tackleberry41
07-06-2015, 02:40 PM
I had mine done in 2002, next day I was driving without glasses. Haven't had any issues at all. Need glasses now, but only a very minor correction from being 45. Don't need glasses for day to day, but helps when shooting as its my dominant eyes thats off a little.

BrassMagnet
07-06-2015, 02:59 PM
Two of my co-workers have had eye surgery. I think one Lasik and one lasek.

The Lasik one can not drive at night. He is dazzled by headlights like fireworks are going off in his face.

The Lasek one has vision that comes and goes. Blink it is there and blink it is gone. His eyeball is not smooth. His surgery was done in Grand Junction. He did not research his Doc. Mrs. Brass researched his Doc online and found massive number of complaints! I think he is still butchering eyes!
Beware and do your research!
You can just google the Doc's name and the Doc's practice name. Also search the state regulating agency for complaints.

Tackleberry41
07-06-2015, 06:30 PM
Place I went, thats all they did, they had every up to date piece of equipment you could get. Very well known as the place to go. I have never had night vision issues. I was worried about it as some did, but was usually the method where they were making slits in the eye, mine was the 3d laser type. Not a pleasant smell to smell you eyeball being burned away.

bstone5
07-06-2015, 07:10 PM
Had it done about 10 years ago worked good.

My wife and I had it done at the same time.

Takes a few weeks before it is easy to drive at night.

At 70 I still need glasses for seeing up close, too many hours on the computer running AutoCAD and other 3-D modeling software.

The process is not painful and after a week or two all was fine.

altheating
07-06-2015, 07:39 PM
I had mine done two years ago. I now need reading glasses when the light is dim. # 12 font in good light and I don't need the reading glasses. I can now spot the nuts on a nat at 100 yards. My shooting improved drastically after surgery. The contacts would ride up on my eyes and get blurry when I looked through a scope or when I looked through the peep sight on my bow. I do not suffer dry eyes or the starbursts that some people suffer after surgery.

richhodg66
07-06-2015, 07:44 PM
The Army did my LASIK about 6-7 years ago. Like you, I had exceptional night vision (Practicing light discipline during night ops all those years I know I saw a lot better than most at night) and that part did seem to suffer some, but I still do pretty well in the dark. I also lost some of the up close fine work verses what I had with glasses and it seems to be getting a little worse, but for anything more than a few feet out, vision was perfect and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

BrassMagnet
07-06-2015, 07:59 PM
Both of my co-workers are reported as 20/20!
Do your homework before surgery. Research the doctor and the practice before surgery. Use google or other search engines, preferably more than one! Check with the state regulatory agency for complaints.
Any doctor can have a bad outcome, but would you risk your vision with a doctor with a multitude of complaints that is under review for revocation or would you choose a doctor with few to no complaints?
More than 95% of eye patients are ecstatic with the outcome and the majority of the ones with bad outcomes see just a few of the available doctors.
Research first, not afterwards!

Handloader109
07-06-2015, 08:32 PM
Had my eyes done 11 yrs ago, I'm 56 and had worn glasses every waking minute prior. Low light contrast makes it had to read? Newsprint is worst thing to read. High light output helps considerably. Last 3 or so yrs, I use reading glasses for close work. Was told this up front. I just use 1 to 1.5 power readers. If I have higher stress in a day, I have to use them more. No dry eyes. In fact, my eyes tear more since surgery. Night vision took some getting used to. Starry lights are worst. I'd do it again in a minute even with the issues. I can see so well at distance. I'd be wearing bifocals otherwise.

MrWolf
07-06-2015, 08:34 PM
I had Lasik in 2002 also. I had dry eyes with contacts and still have to put drops in every morning. I also have halos surrounding lights at night, but I was warned about them before the surgery. Was worth it for me, no regrets.

Lonegun1894
07-06-2015, 08:50 PM
I had lasik about 7-8 years ago, and have had no issues whatsoever. My boss called me the day after to tell me that he forgot to tell me but he scheduled me for a rifle qualification that day, and needed me at work for it within an hour--so I was on the range and shot a perfect score 20-21 hours after getting out of getting my eyes worked on.

Listen to the guys telling you to do your research on your doctor though. I wasn't smart enough to at the time and went to a place that had two doctors doing the work, and I got very lucky. The one that did mine is still doing it and has had VERY few complaints, with the only ones being the occasional loss of night vision, which is common regardless of who does it and seems to be luck of the draw. His partner at that time is no longer practicing medicine of any kind due to a combination of complaints and getting caught with some prescription and illegal drugs he was apparently both using and selling. Like I said, I got lucky, but it could have very easily been the other doctor I got that day.

.45Cole
07-06-2015, 09:49 PM
A lot of people have LASIK, which is considerably different than LASEK. From what I understand, LASEK hasn't been around for more than 10 years or so. I have seen a sharp decline in my eyesight as I have been doing AutoCAD work. For my generation, I guess eyesight will go down from computers. LASEK patients usually have a 3 month or so recovery time where dry/irritated/halo vision is expected.

Beerd
07-07-2015, 03:16 PM
didn't think of it until now, but I wonder why my eye Doc hasn't had it done? I'll have to ask the next time I see him.

white eagle
07-07-2015, 06:36 PM
Had my eyes done the year the terrorists hit the WTC in NY
had 20/20 then and have 20/20 now at age 57
need readers but everyone at my age seems to
my eye doctor used to say that was the best job she had ever seen done
as far as the actual cut on eye
no problems at all no night vision problems halo or anything like that
do it again if I had to