PDA

View Full Version : many thanks fellers

bigted
07-05-2015, 09:32 PM
don't know if there be any of the good ol fellers that I shot with today but I wanna say a hearty thankyou for the warm welcome and the lend of the rifles to play with.

just happened to go to the shooting range today again ... ARPC ... [ Albany Rifle and Pistol Club ] and the muzzleloader club was shooting so I went in to have a see at how the pro's do it ... they allowed me to stay and in addition I got to shoot my first flintlock smoothbores. two very friendly fellers that were shooting their flinters heard me explain to the [host I think] of the shoot that I wanted to watch some flinters as I was toying with the idea of bringing one home someday to play with and ... walla ... these enablers set me rite up with not only my first flintlock shooting ... but also my first smooth bore muskets as well.

what a gas and now I jest wanna go full pig in this direction ... but ... I gotta allow the info to settle first as I can see that this is prolly another one of those things that is gonna rule my thoughts aND DREAMS FOR ... OH ... BOUT 30 YEARS IM BETTIN.

thankyou again fellers ... if any hang out here ... for the welcome and good fellowship with like minded folks as well as being easy to talk to and get to know. nice to find this in todays culture of hurry hurry and not taking time for anything good and wholesome.

nagantguy
07-05-2015, 09:43 PM
Friendly folks sounds like to me, they lured you in with handshakes and smiles and it seemed so harmless when they said here try this one and bingo your hooked!!! Gotta watch out for those enablers they get ya when you least expect it. Sounds like a great time, I've been drooling and listing after a flintlock for a while now, had a chance at one last year, past on it two years ago I bought one at a gun show not 20 minutes later a guy offered me more than I paid for it and still waiting to find another, but the wife keeps reminding me of the master bathroom being gutted to the studs, guess I gotta fix that first.

bigted
07-05-2015, 09:49 PM
LOL ... DANG those honey do's anyway.

Boogieman
07-06-2015, 12:48 AM
I shoot smoothbore flinters because: 1 flints are not as hard to handle as those itty bitty caps 2 there is no back sight to get fuzzy & 3 with no rifling and no back sight nobody expects you to hit anything so if you do everybody is happy. be carefull there is no cure for this addiction

waksupi
07-06-2015, 09:50 AM
I shoot smoothbore flinters because: 1 flints are not as hard to handle as those itty bitty caps 2 there is no back sight to get fuzzy & 3 with no rifling and no back sight nobody expects you to hit anything so if you do everybody is happy. be carefull there is no cure for this addiction

As my eyesight has faded over the years, I find I can shoot the same trail walk with both rifle and smooth bore, and generally equal or better my rifle score with the smoothie.

Boogieman
07-06-2015, 12:46 PM
Trade gun shooters just have more fun

OverMax
07-06-2015, 04:33 PM
I always prompt others to go the B/P path for a change. Fouler/ rifled makes little difference. Its all fun.

rfd
07-06-2015, 06:06 PM
i'm finally getting to like smoothies over them scratched tubes.

LOVE my new .58 trade musket, keb done me right with his build ...

http://i.imgur.com/cEGLGgd.png

http://i.imgur.com/ueNaTkJ.png

bigted
07-06-2015, 08:34 PM
i'm finally getting to like smoothies over them scratched tubes.

LOVE my new .58 trade musket, keb done me right with his build ...

http://i.imgur.com/cEGLGgd.png

http://i.imgur.com/ueNaTkJ.png

that is a dandy for sure ... say it be a 58 cal smoothy? if so then I wonder what is to stop a feller from scrubbing those rascally lines outta a '63' Zouave? that sounds very fun to me as mine is just a rascal to get to shoot anything but the lead hungry Minnie's. it is an older CVA model and I don't believe worth much except as a shooter for fun.

Texantothecore
07-08-2015, 02:52 PM
I was introduced to bp shooting by a group of cw reenactors who had a booth at a county fair. They gave you a small amount of bp in tinfoil and you loaded and shot. Must have been 150 people in line to shoot. I went through twice and shortly thereafter brought one home.

It's a great way to spend an afternoon.

bigted
07-08-2015, 08:43 PM
I was introduced to bp shooting by a group of cw reenactors who had a booth at a county fair. They gave you a small amount of bp in tinfoil and you loaded and shot. Must have been 150 people in line to shoot. I went through twice and shortly thereafter brought one home.

It's a great way to spend an afternoon.

I totally agree with that thought. when I get to go to the range to shoot anymore I mostly take muzzleloaders [caplocks] so the enjoyment is prolonged. and it be a lot more affordable then shooting catridge guns. I can melt away 4 or 5 hours without even having the time stand out for me. I really do enjoy the BP craze and now im contemplating those dang flintlocks. even more fiddling machinery ... YIPPI.

been capping nipples since the early 70's and I plan to go out in the same fashion. had a go-round with the black guns ... the bolt's ... even my share of levers ... been into the BPCR rifles as well [there is a money pit if I ever saw one] but the constant has always been my muzzleloaders ... always had some stowed away till they quietly call me out again so why not just let em have their way with me? I should sell all other guns [except the heirlooms] and pay forward to muzzleloaders ... that is very tempting.

Texantothecore
07-08-2015, 11:31 PM
Interesting, I am thinking of getting rid of my modern firearms, picking up a flinter and going on down the road with big muzzle blasts and lots of smoke. It is a lifetime of entertainment.