PDA

View Full Version : Reloading K.I.S.S style

kentuckyshooter
07-05-2015, 03:01 PM
Hi all just wanted to post up a simple ideology I uses for next to everything and I am applying it to my new hobby. I call it reloading kiss style, no not painting my face and rocking out while reloading. Kiss stands for keep it simple stupid. This basically means boiling things down to their simplest form and working on one aspect at a time.

This is mainly to help fellow newbies but it might help some old timers work threw a difficult problem they are encountering. A great example I can give is in my excitement to get started I made a few test loads and fired them. From initial tests I settled on a powder charge of 3.6 grain. Further testing showed that it wouldn't cycle the action properly and I had some leading at the muzzel. I uped the charge to 3.9 grain bassed on additional test loads and changed lube. Now the gun cycles perfectly but leads considerably. To fix this I started a process of elimination, starting with the simple things first. I looked at the lube that was being used. I'm using a tl bullet with lla. From research on here this should be a magic combination. Next I looked at fit. I sluged the barrel and my fit as cast was good. I decided to look at my aloy. I had been water dropping them and thought many they were to hard and couldn't obtrued to seal the boor when fired. I cast a batch and allowed them to air cool. I have them loaded and ready to test. My next step may be to go to a harded aloy. I got to thinking that when I upped my charge it upped pressure and many my water cooled range scrap boolits arnt hard enough for the higher pressure.

While I have several theory's to test the key is to change only one variable at a time. This way I can be sure the results I got are the result of what I changed. This is very important becouase if u change several things at once you have to rework every thing to try and isolate what's causing the problem.

I know I tend to ramble so I'll finish this thought up with this. It's easy to be overwhelmed with to much info. Just take your time and take it one step at a time. Find your base to work off of and work your loads up one component at a time. I believe this will yeld better results in the long run an save you a lot of headache.

Rustyleee
07-05-2015, 03:58 PM
What caliber? What gun? What powder?

Digital Dan
07-05-2015, 04:08 PM
Changing everything at once optimizes hobby time.

Landshark9025
07-05-2015, 06:46 PM
I wouldn't count on that TL being "magic". I did not have great luck with a Lee 358-158TL sized the same as a Lee 358-140 SWC. I believe there are also numerous threads on the TL design in 120/124 g for 9mm.

If it was me and I wanted to start with "first things first", I'd start with checking to be sure your "as cast" really is good. I don't have the consistency to drop 500 out of 500 boolits the same size, so I count on a sizing die to take care of that. You may be getting some undersized boolits in the mix. Would be helpful to know what the bore is and what your boolits are.

Just a thought.

runfiverun
07-05-2015, 07:08 PM
I'd be checking that my as cast and as shot diameters are the same.
that's generally the problem with a 9m.
the LEE T/L 9m boolit is famous for starting threads here, cause it don't work.
their 44 mag boolit and 45 acp boolits work as advertised, and the 45 boolit is pretty much an upsized 9m boolit.
it however doesn't stick as far down in the case, which can be a cause of unfittingness in the 9m cases for sure.

scottfire1957
07-06-2015, 12:31 AM
What caliber? What gun? What powder?

It doesn't matter. Change one thing at a time, compare results. Go forward or backward as needed.

kentuckyshooter
07-06-2015, 05:09 PM
Thank u scottfire. This was ment as a philosiphy tread. The reloading info was ment as an ilistration of what to do and not to do with this train of logic. Im shure everyone has their own tried and true method of working up a load. I was perposing a simple starting point and progression especialy for new people like my self.