PDA

View Full Version : What is this alloy?

Irascible
03-25-2008, 03:58 PM
I have a few lengths (like bar solder) of metal which is labeled;

D SEAM BELL SYSTEM SEAM D

Does any body recognize what alloy it is? If not, I'll have to melt it down when the pots empty and check melting point and hardness. I'm hopeing it's pure tin, but who knows. I bought a box of "pure tin" and most of it turned out to be zink. But I did end up with 4 1/2 lbs of pure plus these bars.

Lloyd Smale
03-25-2008, 06:28 PM
phone company used to use boxes on the poles that were sealed by lead. probably pure lead or close to it.

44man
03-25-2008, 06:47 PM
Underground lead enclosed cables were soldered together with tin. You just might have pure tin bars.

KAF
03-26-2008, 06:14 AM
When you have pure tin, it crackles when you bend it, more of a feel than a hear.

Irascible
03-26-2008, 10:54 PM
It does crackle when bent, but I'll melt it down when I get a chance and see if it's pure tin or not.

leftiye
03-27-2008, 05:21 PM
Watch the temperature that it is when it first melts. This will give you another tool to use in determining alloy. Sounds like a high tin alloy solder to me.

tpic402
03-27-2008, 08:46 PM
I have several bars of this solder and I work for a phone company and yes it is a solder what tin to lead ratio I do not know, I have asked but all the old timers are retired now and no body seams to know, the bars I have are maked bell system and definetly ring when hit together but are still soft enough to scratch with pocket knife, I mixed with ww it seamed to make harder and flow better. Not sure if it helps you but it is all I know. :???: