PDA

View Full Version : One form of independence

Thumbcocker
07-04-2015, 08:02 PM

40 pints of deer meat 2 pints of turkey. Long day when the canner only holds 7 pints at a time. All the 2013 deer is in jars. 2014 is in freezer and space for bow season.

merlin101
07-04-2015, 08:31 PM
Nice! My wife and I are just getting into canning, did tomato's last year for the first time. We're looking forward to doing some venison this year.

rancher1913
07-04-2015, 10:18 PM
you really need to get you an allamerican 41qt, it holds like 20 some quart jars.

smokeywolf
07-05-2015, 12:00 AM
Living in a society that thinks that meat is manufactured in the back room of the super market and that hunting is the work of the Devil. Plus, between hunting lic., deer tags, fuel, camping or lodging, venison would probably cost me at least $12.99/lb.

The Mrs. and I can beef, homemade chili, homemade spaghetti sauce and a few other goodies. Haven't tried fruits yet.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-05-2015, 01:11 AM
road kill deer can be very cost effective if your not the one who hit them , get the word in with some sheriffs deputies that you would like a call if they get a clean hit one on a day below 30

last one I picked up had a broken neck 2 broken ribs and the front leg was broke below the knee I loose more meat on a chest shot than I had to cut off that deer got it 2 miles from the house

Wayne Smith
07-05-2015, 08:18 AM
Time to make some mincemeat!

Budzilla 19
07-05-2015, 08:27 AM
Greencountypete, I'm with you on road killed deer, if it's very recent for sure! Took out a couple with my pickups,(thank goodness for ranchhand style bumpers), rabbits,squirrels, again, it has to be recently done in,like if I see it happen! ( how's that for a South Louisiana redneck type?)The OP was about canning, that was some beautiful jars,we don't do any canning,we did a lot while I was growing up,but boy do we freeze a lot of stuff! I'm all about having stuff that is out of season fresh from the freezer. I admire anyone who does canning now as they are the kind of people who will make it when TSHF situation comes around! ( and as far as the cost of license,and hunting lease payments, gas, etc., free is me when it comes to venison!) just .02 cents worth.

i just noticed the deer mount in the picture in the OP!!! Hahahaha !!!!

BrassMagnet
07-05-2015, 08:59 AM
Consider dehydrating, too!

I'm working on building a large dehydrator now. The little store bought ones from china just don't cut it!
I have a thread going in Prepper Talk on the project. I have reached the stage of sawing the plywood. I will post photos when I have something to take photos of, probably today or tomorrow.

Here is the thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?268515-Hamishmade-me-do-it!

Mrs. Brass and I took classes on canning and pressure canning, but we haven't done it yet. Hopefully, from our garden this year!

dragon813gt
07-05-2015, 09:14 AM
You need a bigger pressure cooker. I'm assuming that's what you used even though you said canner. Won't be using mine until August when it's time to start harvesting the garden. Already used the dehydrator a few times for the herbs. I like canning items from the garden. But processing tomatoes for weeks on end grows very tiring.

MaryB
07-06-2015, 12:09 AM
My pressure canner will hold ~20 pint jars(being single pints make more sense for meals). Nothing like going into the pantry when super tired and taking out a can of beef and making beef and gravy to dump over a baked potato for a quick meal. Or adding some veggies form the freezer for a quick stew.

Been thinking of trying to can potatoes when they come in season. Farmers markets often have 50 pound bags of them that are damaged or not pretty enough to sell to the yuppies. Can them for quick and easy meals again. Pressured canned food was the pioneer microwave!

Plate plinker
07-06-2015, 12:29 AM
Plus if the power is out for days the canned for is still fine!

smokeywolf
07-06-2015, 06:16 AM
Right with you there Mary. We usually have at least a couple of dozen 1-1/2 pint jars of beef that we've pressure canned. Just dump that in a pan, heat it, pour over rice and in 10 minutes, MMM-MMM-MMM. I also want to try canning potatoes.
At this very moment, getting ready to can another 1-1/2 gallons of spaghetti sauce that I made night before last.

FISH4BUGS
07-06-2015, 08:01 AM
I prefer freezing to canning. The garden this year is a 35x35 size and we are buying another chest freezer. Yes, I have a generator with 50 gallons of backup fuel.
There is ONE package of green beans from last year's harvest left. You name it, we froze it.

BrassMagnet
07-06-2015, 03:15 PM
I prefer freezing to canning. The garden this year is a 35x35 size and we are buying another chest freezer. Yes, I have a generator with 50 gallons of backup fuel.
There is ONE package of green beans from last year's harvest left. You name it, we froze it.

Fifty gallons! What about next week? Next month?
Freezing is definitely easier and much more convenient, but dry or canned requires no electricity.

smokeywolf
07-06-2015, 03:52 PM
Don't much care for the idea of living without electricity for a long period of time, but I'm completely set on being able to, perhaps with some inconvenience, but without hardship.

dragon813gt
07-06-2015, 06:52 PM
Don't much care for the idea of living without electricity for a long period of time, but I'm completely set on being able to, perhaps with some inconvenience, but without hardship.

I don't either. I'm not worried about the winter because I can always move the freezer outside to keep the food. The warmer months are when I'm more concerned. Freezing does taste better in some instances. But canning lasts a lot longer and there is no chance of freezer burning. No power consumption to keep the food as well. Pros and cons both ways.