PDA

View Full Version : 45/70 and Unique

High Desert Hunter
10-06-2005, 07:04 PM
Looking for a place to start with my Marlin 1895GS. I am thinking of "patching" some 280gr 45 Colt bullets from an RCBS 45-270SAA mould. Wondering if I can use Unique for some light plinking loads, as I bought an 8# jug this summer. I just would like to avoid filler, I have never messed with it, and think I would like to avoid it. I appreciate the help, 1st visit to the new location.

Dave Beeman

SharpsShooter
10-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Looking for a place to start with my Marlin 1895GS. I am thinking of "patching" some 280gr 45 Colt bullets from an RCBS 45-270SAA mould. Wondering if I can use Unique for some light plinking loads, as I bought an 8# jug this summer. I just would like to avoid filler, I have never messed with it, and think I would like to avoid it. I appreciate the help, 1st visit to the new location.

Dave Beeman

My 45th edition Lyman reloading manual gives data for a 292gr cast boolit and Unique. The velocity is nearly 1500fps with their starting load of 18.0gr and tops out at 1689fps using 20.0gr. I could not even begin to to say how well this fills the case or how it would handle the paper patched bullets. the boollit weights will be close enough when you patch the 280gr boolit that the data should apply. THIS IS NOT TRAPDOOR DATA AND SHOULD NOT BE USED IN RIFLES NOT DESIGNED FOR MODERN SMOKELESS LOADS.

Hope this helps and welcome to the board.

:grin:

High Desert Hunter
10-06-2005, 07:53 PM
Thanks, I will not be paper patching, I have found that a little teflon tape like we use to wrap wire harnesses on aircraft works really well. Love your signature.

SharpsShooter
10-06-2005, 08:07 PM
Thanks, I will not be paper patching, I have found that a little teflon tape like we use to wrap wire harnesses on aircraft works really well. Love your signature.

:coffeecom

Hmmm, teflon tape. Can't say I've ever run across that trick. Does it leave any deposits on the bore? Yeah the 45-70 is a first choice for about everything these days. I have several of them and haven't shot a J-word boolit in probably 3 years. Oh heck, for that booilt you have, try 70gr of Goex Cartridge Black and a fiber wad. It will probably shoot.

35remington
10-06-2005, 08:30 PM
16.0 grains Unique and the 405 grain Lee or RCBS gascheck of the same weight gets 1260 fps from my 22" lever Marlin (also not for trapdoor rifles) and is a nice, cheap load to practice with that could also be used for woods hunting of deer and such.

Pretty close to .45-70 "blackpowder" velocities, and comparatively mild recoil.

High Desert Hunter
10-06-2005, 09:10 PM
:coffeecom

Hmmm, teflon tape. Can't say I've ever run across that trick. Does it leave any deposits on the bore? Yeah the 45-70 is a first choice for about everything these days. I have several of them and haven't shot a J-word boolit in probably 3 years. Oh heck, for that booilt you have, try 70gr of Goex Cartridge Black and a fiber wad. It will probably shoot.
None that I have ever noticed. I am hoping to pick up an RCBS 405gr GC mould to round out my 45 cal selection. Right now I am shooting an RCBS 325 Universal that drops at 345gr from straight wheel weights, I also size this down to 454 for use in my Accu-Sport Bisley .45. I want a heavier bullet for elk hunting, if I stay here, or moose hunting if by Gods good graces I find a way back to Alaska. I shoot mostly IMR4198, I am shooting a Marlin 1895GS, and a Ruger #1. Just put a Williams peep sight the GS. Thanks again for the reply.

Abert Rim
10-07-2005, 11:57 AM
My favorite plinking load in the .45/70 Marlin is 17 grains Unique under the Lee 340 cast of range scrap.

Buckshot
10-08-2005, 04:56 AM
............AKBman, I've PP's 250gr 45 Colt boolits and shot'em in a 45-70. It was years ago and the charge was like 8.0grs of Red Dot. Fun load, and like zero recoil from a rifle. PITA to patch up such a short bodied boolit! I've heard of teflon pipe tape but never got around to trying it.

..............Buckshot

Farmer
10-08-2005, 08:30 AM
Dave,
In my pile o' stuff I think I have some RCBS 405 gr. bullets cast up and lubed with Lee Liquid Alox. I know I have some that are cast and unlubed and unsized. If you want, I'll send some along. Loading up some 45/70 shells will give you something to do when the snows hit soon.

dawgrunt@uphi.net

Ed

High Desert Hunter
10-08-2005, 09:39 AM
Well Ed, I would appreciate that, but do I have something you could use? This makes twice you have offered up something to me. I cast the RCBS 45-270SAA, a 325 Gr WFNGC Mountain Mould, 429421, a big 525gr PB RN in .458(Lyman 457125), the RCBS 325 Universal bullet for the 45/70, works great in the .45 Colt, and that is it right now, I will be adding the 405gr FNGC RCBS mould in the next 6 months or so. Dan from the Bullshop tells me it is the ideal 45/70 hunting bullet. I have a bow hunt just south of you this January, will have to drop by and see how ya'll doing. Must say, I don't reckon we'll see any snow down here for at least another month. Thanks again.

Dave Beeman

JohnH
10-08-2005, 11:50 AM
I shot a spike last year at about 25 yards with a load using Lees 405 HP cast from pure lead and 15 grains of Unique. Load was travling somewhere between 1170 and 1270 fps (Bad memory, a search here would answer as I posted about it) That was from a 22" Handi Rifle. Load was pretty danged accurate too.

RBak
10-08-2005, 04:08 PM
Before I started Paper Patching I use a lot of telfon tape. I have used it on a lot of different bullets in many applications.

The best performance, from just casual observation, came from tapeing a .58 cal .575213PH conical for my Colt musket....three "tight wraps" brought the diameter up to where "bump-up" was more pronounced, and accuracy was dramatically improved.....especially at longer range.
Although the PH is a GG conical, just a bit of MCM lube in the base seemed to work just fine.
I can PP that same conical, but by doing so I increase the diameter at least .004 with a double wrap...no matter how tight I try to make it, that wee little bit has a definate effect on accuracy.

Just the opposite has been true with the 45-70. I have never got anywhere near acceptable performance while using Telfon tape with either Black or Smokeless powder in my 45-70's.....Go figure.

Russ...

Farmer
10-08-2005, 06:10 PM
No problem Dave. I've had lots of folks help me out with all things shooting related.I'm just glad when I can pass it along. E-mail me your mailing address and I'll put some in the mail Monday.

It looks like you're set up to cast and size.If you are, which bullets do you want me to send along? I have some that have Lee Liquid alox lube sized in a Lee .457" die and some that are just cast,not lubed or sized. I can even lend you the mold if you want for a few months.That way you can cast all you can if your gun likes these bullets.

Ed

High Desert Hunter
10-09-2005, 12:54 AM
Ed,
I seem to have lost your email addy. Mine is beerman3133 at yahoo dot com. I size mine to .459 and lube with a homemade concoction, in a Lyman lubrisizer. What are you shooting the 45/70 in? Lever or single shot?

Dave Beeman

El Oso
10-25-2005, 12:16 AM
I have an older loading manual that has a trapdoor load for a 292gr. cast
starting at 18.0 grains. Trapdoor loads are usually kept pretty mild.
Hope this helps

El Oso
10-25-2005, 12:20 AM
[QUOTE=El Oso]I have an older loading manual that has a trapdoor load for a 292gr. cast
starting at 18.0 grains. Trapdoor loads are usually kept pretty mild.
Hope this helps. If you can get ahold of an old reloading manual they have lots of cast loads

oksmle
10-25-2005, 12:31 AM
AKBman .... I use 12.5 grains of Unique in my original .45/70 Springfield carbine with the Lyman 405 grain bullet cast of WW & it chrons right at 1100 fps. That's the equivalent of the original carbine load. Light recoil....
oksmle

Montanan
10-25-2005, 08:48 AM
I've got some cupped based straight sided 530-gr boolits for patching with.. I guess I will try some of this teflon tape to see how it works. But I wouldn't use Unique powder for the 45-70. I used to, until I took some sound advice and switched to AA 5744 which is not position sensitive. But I really only use the stuff for my winter loadings in my 45-90... load them up with the black and make a bunch of smoke :bigsmyl2:

http://www.desertusa.com/july96/du_saguaro1.jpg

rvpilot76
10-25-2005, 03:17 PM
Well, hello there fellow aircraft mechanic. Do you possess an A&P license?

Kevin