PDA

View Full Version : Ramshot TAC leaks

trixter
07-04-2015, 09:06 AM
I have a RCBS Pro 2000, and I have been reloading my .223's. I chose Ramshot TAC because it was available, and I have come to like it, except i get a few granules here and there on my shell plate and into some places where it shouldn't be. I load a lot of 45's too using Bullseye, and do not have any problems with leakage, but there is a pointed spout for the powder to fall through into the mouth of the cartridge. The mouth of the cartridge (223) is flat as is the end of the powder die and there is where I think the problem lies. Does anyone use this combination? Ramshot TAC is a very tiny ball powder, could this be a problem, would a stick powder (H4895) work better just as an example? Is it the two flat surfaces meeting that causes this problem?
Can anyone help me out here?

runfiverun
07-04-2015, 10:35 AM
ball powders do tend to find their way out of progressive powder measures.
some coughLEEcough need a little modification to keep from binding up with them.

if the rcbs thingy has a little sleeve for the 223 case to go into it probably has a slight gap between the case mouth and the end of the sleeve.
you might be able to file down the area where the shoulder hits the sleeve allowing the case mouth to get closer to the end of the sleeve where the powder comes through.

dragon813gt
07-04-2015, 11:34 AM
I've never been able to stop ball powders from completely leaking out of any measure. The Lee PAD is the worse offender. TAC isn't that bad. Now H110 is a different story and leaks all over.

bhn22
07-04-2015, 11:58 AM
I've had issues in the past of super fine ball powders leaking out between the powder measure body and the clear plastic tube. In fact, the tube on my Hornady measure leaked, so I removed it, cleaned everything up really well, and put a light film of silicone on the measure body before reinstalling the tube. Problem solved.

Litl Red 3991
07-04-2015, 03:48 PM
Spherical powders seem to leak through every progressive measure I've tried so far. Disc and flake powders aren't consistent and are especially bad for light loads through the same progressives. It's a real shame the powder industry hasn't seen the value of larger diameter spherical powders.

Solo 1000 is a "kinky disc" shape that has been working well for some years now. It's fast enough to work for reduced loads. Unfortunately, I've been shooting it up fairly fast and am about at the bottom of my last 8lb jug. And it's not been for sale anywhere I've seen in a couple of years.

MT Gianni
07-04-2015, 03:56 PM
The black sand of WC820 will also drive you nuts.

Lloyd Smale
07-05-2015, 07:32 AM
yup 820 is one of the worse offenders. Loading with a progressive me it handgun or 223 using ball about every 1000 rounds I have to shut down and clean. Might not have to every time but a clean press is a happy press.