PDA

View Full Version : 22 cast boolit on Prarie dogs.

DLCTEX
03-25-2008, 08:18 AM
I got another prarie dog Sunday with a 44 gr. Loverin style wcww. This one was delivered with my Savage Stryker pistol in 22-250, the pistol scope I got from Ken works much better than the red dot did. These boolits do not penetrate, but the critter is DRT, so I autopsied this one to see what the boolit looked like. It's a perfect mushroom about half the length of the boolit. I'm guessing 1800 fps at 100 yds., maybe a little less from the short barrel. By comparison the swaged bullets I got from Bullshop Jr., 55 gr. jacketed (22 lr. case for jacket) exploded one into two large ( amd many small) pieces at 125 yds. I found the jacket about two feet behind it in a perfect star with SUPER written in the center. It was interesting to see lead welded to the jacket from the impact. The boys make great PD bullets. DALE:Fire::Fire:

Three44s
03-25-2008, 08:58 AM
Sounds SUPER to me!

What sort of alloy mix are you combining to get that much expansion but still be OK on leading?

And what lube and what velocity?

Three 44s

DLCTEX
03-25-2008, 06:05 PM
I'm using straight ww and water dropping them from a hot mold (have to run these little beggers hot to get good fillout) and gas checked. 10 gr. SR7625, which should be 2250 fps from a 22" barrel. With the 14" Stryker barrel, I'm giving up some of that, it's been way too windy to get over to the ranch range where I have access to a Chrony, so everything is guesswork. The 55 gr. jacketed would be at 3700 fps. from the 22". I have never chronyed this gun, soI don't know what I'm giving up to the short barrel. It does make the shots under 150 yds more challenging. DALE

racepres
03-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Dale: I have one of those 22-250 Strykers... I am extremely interrested in these results... Gotta actually work for abt a week right now.. but, I will be trying your "formula" very soon.. as my mauser in 22-250 is Not Co-operating at this time... MV