PDA

View Full Version : Black Powder storage??

KenH
07-03-2015, 12:30 PM
Hello all - got a question. I know the best way to store any smokeless powder is in a sealed air tight container. How much will pyrodex or Black Powder degrade (lose strength) stored in a powder horn in 1 yr? 5yr?

The powder horn certainly isn't totally air tight.... well, maybe it is pretty air tight since the horn/wood plug at big end are tight, and the brass powder measure, while not sealed, is pretty tight.

The reason I ask, I've got a horn that's had "P" pyrodex for a couple of years. Yesterday I got a couple lb of fresh (to me) fffg GEOF BP. When loaded with equal "volume" of pyrodex or fffg BP, my 1851 Navy is a good bit louder with the fresh fffg BP, and the fps speed is 100 fps or so faster with fffg BP. This is with equal volume (not weight). The same volume of pyrodex weights about 15 grain, while the fffg BP weights 22 grains.

Comments please,

Pipefitter
07-03-2015, 12:46 PM
All I know about pyrodex is that it is less dense than black powder, hence the "equal volume versus weight" mantra with it.
Black powder, as long as it is protected from moisture will last for decades, perhaps even a century or two.

mooman76
07-03-2015, 12:46 PM
BP, the real stuff will last forever. Pyrodex is more questionable and also depends on where your powder horn is stored. Some people report after a few years it looses power but I have some 20+ years old that still works good. There are also differences in the real stuff and it could be even new you would get differences and also between different BP powders. Swiss is said to be more powerful but I don't know because I can't get much of the real stuff so I just take what I can get.

KenH
07-03-2015, 02:28 PM
Yep, I should have mentioned the storage conditions because that would make a LOTS of difference. I'm storing in a heated 'n A/C'd room so conditions would have been good. That's what I was thinking about BP, it just lasts and lasts.

oldracer
07-03-2015, 05:17 PM
I keep mine in the Goex cans until I need to open one and so far have never had an issue with moisture, etc. I live in So Cal though so no freezing or other wild weather.

Geezer in NH
07-03-2015, 08:44 PM
You can store real BP n the hot dry attic and it will be good 50 years later, keep moisture away, heat like that does not hurt it.

Pyrodex keep dry cool in the cellar in factory sealed container good till you open it.

Opened Pyrodex stores very short time without degrading. This from personal experience at my gun club.

KenH
07-04-2015, 11:19 AM
Thanks for all the comments 'n info. A question here, "IF" BP does get damp/wet - does it still work just fine after drying out? OR - would it be at a reduced capacity?

The pyrodex I had was mostly for the grandkids to to shoot an old cap 'n ball single shot pistol I've had for years. Pour a little pyrodex down the barrel, pack a bit of wadding, and allow them to shoot. The LOVE it.

Ken H>

mooman76
07-04-2015, 12:37 PM
It should be fine after drying. When they mix the BP in making it, it is done wet, then they dry it.

KenH
07-04-2015, 02:59 PM
That's sorta what I was thinking myself about wet BP, but did wish to confirm. I never amazes me how much knowledge is available from the fine folks on this forum who are so good about sharing. THANK YA'LL!!!!

Southron
07-04-2015, 11:35 PM
A friend of mine was a "Relicer" and he discovered an old Confederate fort on private land in Coastal Virginia. He dug down into an old mound in the center of the fort and this proved to be the old magazine. He discovered dozens of unfired artillery shells.

He carried many of the old shells home and unloaded them, removing the original Confederate made gunpowder. The "bursting charge" was a polygot of grain sizes. He screened the powder and came up with a half a pound of what looked like a mixture of modern 2F and 3F.

We shot the powder in replica Civil War rifle-muskets and it worked fine. The gunsmoke was a "whiteish-gray" colored smoke. That is the "oldest" black powder I have ever shot and it had been "stored" inside buried artillery shells for over a century....and it was still good.

KenH
07-05-2015, 11:21 AM
Thanks for that comment - ya'll sure shot some OLD black powder!

Ken