PDA

View Full Version : New

RustyFN
03-24-2008, 09:35 PM
I just wanted to say hi. I am new to this forum. I have been reloading for a couple of years but have never cast bullets. Well I just bought my first 1911 so guess what. I am going to do some reading and searching around here before I drive you all crazy with too many dumb questions. Nice to meet all of you.
Rusty

beagle
03-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Welcome to the "sport" or "disease" of casting bullets.

Ask away, we've all been there and done it./beagle

osage
03-24-2008, 09:43 PM
Welcome to the forum Rusty. Most of the time reading and searching has worked well for me. If not ask away.

RustyFN
03-24-2008, 10:13 PM
I was hoping to get started without spending a small fortune. Do you have to buy sizers and lubbers or are there molds that make the bullet the right size to start with that you don't have to size. I would be casting 45 for a 1911 either 200 or 230 grain.
Rusty

Leadforbrains
03-24-2008, 10:39 PM
Welcome Rusty. I am fairly new to this also, but I have been lurking here for awhile. This is a great site. I have been helped alot just by reading all the information posted here. I am also casting for both of my Springfield Armory 1911 pattern .45ACPs. I have only one mold at this time. It is a Lyman devastator hollow point mold. I am pouring them with an RCBS ladle. I am pan lubing and I am getting good accuracy and no leading. I am not currently using a sizer.
You can get into this hobby for as cheap or as expensive as you want to, but be forwarned casting Boolits can be very addictive.
You have come the right place to gain knowledge on how to increase your shooting enjoyment.

madcaster
03-24-2008, 10:44 PM
Rusty,
The Classics and Stickies section will be a great help I think.
Welcome to the madhouse!
Jeff

cohutt
03-24-2008, 10:45 PM
Heeey Rusty

Bout time

Some people cast the lee Tl bullets and shoot them unsized, ie let the barrel size them.
6x molds for $40 or so, alox lube goo to coat and you are in bidness
I do this with my 44s but could not get away with it with my auto loaders. Th eloane wolf chamber is a little tight for unsized 9mm and the Kimber is finicky-

OK, so you have to size, so spend $14 or so for the lee sizing kit. No biggie, still cheap.

I sized to 452 for my 1911 but that wasn't enough, so i ordered another lee sizer in 451 and a couple thousand rounds later all is still working fine.

fourarmed
03-25-2008, 11:49 AM
You might say that boolit casters are the new mothers of invention! Welcome.

RustyFN
03-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Hey Cohutt hows it going.
Rusty

wiljen
03-25-2008, 04:30 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I'd get the lee 230RN designed for tumble lubing and start with it. I shot an awful lot of those through a 1911 without sizing and had good results.

waksupi
03-25-2008, 09:07 PM
Welcome aboard. Buckle your seat belt, and keep your seat in an upright position.

You know you look a lot like Frank Zappa, or maybe Leon Redbone's younger brother?

;o)

RustyFN
03-25-2008, 10:32 PM
Welcome aboard. Buckle your seat belt, and keep your seat in an upright position.

You know you look a lot like Frank Zappa, or maybe Leon Redbone's younger brother?

;o)
Hopefully more like Frank. I actually use the name Zappa at restaurants sometimes because they always end up butchering my last name.
Rusty