PDA

View Full Version : I need a sling

PAT303
07-01-2015, 08:55 PM
Well I'm having trouble getting a good sling,I shoot field rifle and 3P and would like to buy the best quality sling to suit my shooting.Do any of you shoot FR and 3P and can direct me towards a good quality sling,or need be two slings?. Pat

Frank46
07-02-2015, 12:08 AM
Google Turner slings. Military style and well made if that is what you are looking for. I believe that the keepers are smaller than normal so you get a good fit. I had one of the Brownells military slings many years when I attempted shooting high power rifle. A buddy of mine I contacted about my old gear came by and gave him two slings, shooting mat and leather glove which was given to a marine just out of the service. One of the slings was an anschutz which had a heavy section which went around your arm and rubber on the inside to prevent slippage. May want to check out Creedmore sports as they cater to competitive shooters. have fun. Frank

PAT303
07-02-2015, 01:39 AM
Frank,thanks mate,anschutz slings were one of the models I was looking at,they look the goods. Pat

Scharfschuetze
07-02-2015, 01:48 AM
I've got a Turner sling (US Model 1907) on my M1 and use it for position shooting in the NM course of fire and it is a great piece of kit. I also use the GI issue 1907 slings and on my AR-15 match rifle the US M1 sling. The leather Turner sling is best for the 7.62 cal rifles and holds 'em steady while the lighter less capable canvas or nylon M1 sling works a treat with the light recoiling AR-15/M16 rifles.

I have used the Anschuetz style single point sling in the NRA match rifle class and for a strictly match rifle it is perhaps a better choice, although you can't carry a rifle with it. On a service rifle though, it just doesn't seem correct and it is not legal for match shooting in the USA for use under rule 3.3 of the US NRA match rules for the M1, M14/M1a or the M16/AR-15 on the National Match course or the CMP courses of fire. As the OP is from Austrailia, that's probably a moot point.

Creadmore Armory or Champion's Choice should be able to help you out with an on-line order with any of the above slings.

I did a quick check at Youtube and found this video on using the US Model 1907 sling.

https://youtu.be/V80JyfZ4gBQ

sthwestvictoria
07-02-2015, 02:20 AM
I have the RS1 sling that is very well made, he shipped it to Australia no problem. It would be excellent for range work. The loop is maybe held open a little too much for hunting work and I think I will buy RS2 at some stage - similar design however the loop is not held open as much by the reinforeced areas and so will likely lie flatter against the shoulder when the rifle is slung.

http://rifle-craft.com/product-category/rifle-slings/

Rustyleee
07-02-2015, 02:56 AM
Not to go to far astray but when you watch this video https://youtu.be/V80JyfZ4gBQ
as mentioned above you can find other videos done by the same poster and shot on the same day. This is a great clinic.

W.R.Buchanan
07-02-2015, 02:18 PM
Pat: I am a big fan of the Turner sling as well. They are basically a 1907 style sling but the quality of materials and manufacture is above the rest. I have one on my Garand, my M2 Springfield and another one waiting for my NRA Sporter which is coming to fruition soon. They are nice! the leather is soft and supple and there is little break in required.

As stated above Creedmore Sports http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/home.php is a good source for these slings.

I used a Brownell's M1907 Sling on my #4 Mk1 which you have seen and it is almost as nice as the Turner Sling, however the leather is not quite as soft, but it was also nearly $20 less in cost.

The British Slings are nothing more than carry straps. And the Anschutz Sling is made for a specific purpose.

For what you are looking at I'd buy a Turner as they are the best and you won't regret this purchase.

I would also download instructions for using these slings as there is a lot more to them than just sticking your arm thru the loop.

The bottom pic here is the Brownell's sling before I dyed it as shown in the other two pics.

The Turner Slings I have are all Black, but I think they are available in Brown as well.

Good Luck!

Randy

country gent
07-02-2015, 02:31 PM
I have a couple Jack Jones military slings on my service rifles. and a turner on a garand all are very good. A good military sling has the keepers formed tight so they can lock in place when sling is set on arm t keep it from loosening. Are you looking for a sling or cuff. I use a cuff on match rifles ( not allowed on service rifles in NRA High power ) that are really solid. Champions shooters supply, champions choice, Jim Owens, Springfield armory, OK Webers but not sure they are still in buisness now. A good sling is a very usefull shooting accessory not just for carrying the rifle anymore.

Gus Youmans
07-02-2015, 03:15 PM
PAT303,

I use a match rifle sling from Stallings Machine http://www.stallingsmachine.com for small bore and high power prone. It's a little pricey but performs as advertised. These are more flexible than leather slings but do not stretch. If you are looking for a service rifle sling, like a 1907, don't buy one of the cheap knockoffs. They are usually too short and don't last long. Creedmoor Sports http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/Slings/ has a good selection of both match rifle and service rifle slings. Champion Shooters Supply and Champions Choice also stock slings but I did not visit their websites.

Country Gent - I have a Jack Jones sling that he sold me at a match at Oak Ridge seven or eight years ago. He sold it to me dirt cheap as a second but it is still the best service rifle sling I own and wish I know how to contact him to get a couple more.

Gus Youmans

country gent
07-02-2015, 03:55 PM
Last I new Jack ahd sold the service rifle slings equipment to Jim Cheadle At JRC Gunsmithing. Still a very fine sling and high quality. There was a big deal raised over jacks keepers being to big and not to spec one year at CMP/DCM week at the nationals during Perry. Both gentlemans slings are one of the finest made good heavy leather no stretch and good looking. I shot with Jack on the ORPA rifle team for years.

PAT303
07-02-2015, 07:52 PM
And that's why I come here,thanks for all the replies,now the only problem is which one.Straight shooting to you all. Pat

Frank46
07-02-2015, 10:45 PM
PAT303, glad to have been of some help. Frank

Gus Youmans
07-03-2015, 10:12 AM
PAT303,

If you are only going to be using the sling for position shooting I think you would be best served with one of the competition/match rifle slings instead of a service rifle sling. I like the Stallings Machine nylon sling because it is easy to put on, adjusts easily, does not stretch, and is relatively impervious to moisture and humidity. I have tried several leather match rifle slings but did not like them as much as the nylon sling.

Gus Youmans