PDA

View Full Version : 300 Blackout neck expander question

woodmann
07-01-2015, 11:47 AM
I purchased, but have not picked up a H&R Handi Rifle in 300 Blackout. I currently cast LEE 200 grain GC based boolits from straight wheel weights. I size them to .309, then PC them for a final diameter of about .311. Been shooting them subsonic from a 308 pushed by W231. I haven't done any conclusive testing due to lack of time as far as if they are being sized down when I seat them.

I want to order dies for the 300 and am wondering if I should order a .309 or .310 expander ball assembly. I may shoot jacketed full power loads some time so the included expander ball will work fine for that. From reading about case forming, wall thickness of some cases makes for neck thicknesses that are too thick and I'm thinking that running a slightly larger expander will be beneficial with cast boolits. I'm not gas checking as of now and would prefer not to chance them going through a suppressor. I'm leaning towards RCBS Small Base Dies in case I really like the caliber and end up with an AR. The RCBS dies have a taper crimp.

If anyone has one of these rifle I'd appreciate any advice you have for subsonic cast reloads. Actually I'm open to any advice from anyone.

Maybe I just need to run them back through the sizer after I PC them? I know, slug the bore, but I don't have it yet.

2wheelDuke
07-01-2015, 12:20 PM
I don't know what to suggest to you there since I've only had cheap Lee dies since I've gotten into reloading. They don't have different size expander balls. If I was home, I'd pull my expander and mic it for you.

I bell my case mouths slightly with the powder through expander for the 7.62x25 (Tokarev) before I charge, seat, then crimp in the Lee FCD.

I have a 16" .300blk build on the bench right now that should be done today. Looks like it might be a very hungry gun. I might see about setting up the Pro 1000 to run them progressive then crimp as a separate operation after the fact.

dudel
07-01-2015, 12:50 PM
I have a Handi 300BO. I used Hornady dies. Mostly shoot jacketed; but I have the Lee 309 230gr mould that looks purpose built for the 300BO. The expander ball is probably the least expensive part of the kit. Get a die set that allows you to change expander balls as needed. The Hornady dies have worked great for jacketed; it think they'll be ok for cast. I don't powder coat yet; but the bump in size may require the larger expander ball.

The Handi 300BO is great fun. Be prepared to load lots of rounds.

Moonie
07-01-2015, 01:45 PM
Personally I have used the smaller one and expanded them with the NOE expander plug.

Hamish
07-01-2015, 02:07 PM
I would echo Moonie on this, have been using the NOE expander plugs in every cartridge I shoot,,,,,,

popper
07-01-2015, 03:05 PM
Get the Lee die set, includes the FCD. Lee expander works for me but the barrel is tight. Wait till you get the rifle, then order expander, sizer, etc.

gpidaho
07-01-2015, 03:22 PM
By happy chance the expanding mandrel for my Sinclair neck turning tool works just right in expanding case necks for my Handi 300 blackout. GP

runfiverun
07-01-2015, 06:07 PM
I use the expander ball from my 7.62x 39 die set for my cast loads.
the 30 carbine powder thingy from the Dillon powder measure puts a little flair on the case mouth.

just about every case I have ever measured from cut down 223 to actual made for the 300 brass cases have been right close to .0010 in thickness.
I have had Matt looking for some odd-ball brass that is .0012 for a while now so I can do some ummm accuracy enhancements.

gloob
07-01-2015, 08:40 PM
I use push thru expanders for cast rifle, period. And for a 311 non GC bullet in a single shot rifle using thicker than normal brass, I would no doubt go 311 on the expander as my first guess. I'd expect if the size die is typical, you would get plenty of springback, and you don't really want to overdo neck-tension with plain base bullets if you don't have to. (In a single shot, you don't have to). You may have to check out some custom makers for that size.

If your brass is thicker than normal and your sizing die is on the tight side, you just might run into trouble trying to use a .310 expander ball. It might stick, depending on how tight the size die is. Push-thru expanders are much better at moving brass a significant amount. They're not as convenient, but you can get the flare on the mouth in the same step.

If you're using GC's, then give it a try with the standard dies, first. It might work fine with a little flare. I suppose you are using a universal expander or something like that for a flare?

gpidaho
07-01-2015, 08:50 PM
Yes, when using other means than a M-die I use the Lee universal expander to flare. That little $12 tool gets a lot of work at my loading deck! GP

GhostHawk
07-01-2015, 09:29 PM
First I'd want to know what size the barrel is, ie slugging it.
Then add a couple thousandths.

My H&R .300BO is a .308 so I have been sizing mine to .309. Some good results, some so so.
I have been thinking about bringing that lee sizing die up to .310.

I use the Lee universal expanding die to put a slight flare on the neck. But the bigger you go with bullet the more flare you need.

And I don't PC, so I have no idea how much that will add.

All I can say is that if I was going to use that system I think I would size and gas check to .308 first, then add your PC, and keep it thin. But it all depends on exactly what bore you are going to end up with.

gpidaho
07-01-2015, 09:54 PM
GhostHawk: Yes, my H&R 300 BO has a nice tight barrel. .3075 and I've been sizing .309 also. The only problem I've run into with powder coat is on a couple of bore riders and the extra girth on the nose. (lots of ways around this problem) I size after coating so the PC doesn't effect boolit band size. Just another tool in the box that I use to bump up bullets when they need it. My LEE C309-230-5R drops way small and the PC really helps bring it up to size. Fun little guns glad we got the Handis we have before Big Green screwed it all up. GP

wordsmith
07-01-2015, 10:10 PM
I've done extensive testing and loading with the 247 gr NOE boolit in 300 BLK. What I did was order custom resizing stems from Lee directly. IIRC, they're about $4-5 each plus shipping, a bargain really. For awhile, I swapped the stems between the same sizing die, but that got old very quickly so I bought a second sizing die for cast setup. I ended up using -0.001" under cast diameter, which is giving me 0.0015 - 0.002" neck tension, about the maximum for plain base bullets. I pulled several bullets and couldn't measure a reduction in diameter with my 0.0001" micrometer. Since they are so cheap, I ordered several different sizes in 0.001" increments so I could adjust until I was happy.

runfiverun
07-01-2015, 10:33 PM
i have seen some latitude in chamber and throat dimensions in the various 300 b.o.'s i have looked at.
stuff that won't even begin to chamber in my AAC is just another semi-sloppy fit round in the Ruger.
the length i can chamber is also subject to the maker's idea of how a chamber is cut.
many of the boolits i use in my 308/30-06 are just too long and large to begin to chamber in the 300's throat.
the only one i have been able to interchange so far is the rcbs 30-165 silhouette boolit.

RobsTV
07-02-2015, 08:26 AM
Using the Lee PTE for M1 30 carbine, and it only needs the die body slightly enlarged with a drill. Works perfect for 300blk.

woodmann
07-02-2015, 08:54 AM
I have the LEE Universal Expander and plan to use it, if I can, to allow seating without tearing up the base. Because of the possible wall thickness issue, I'm not sure if the cases will be prone to sizing down the bullet with air cooled wheel weights. RCBS sells .310 and .311 expander/decapper assemblies that aren't too expensive.

RunFiveRun: What size is the expander from your 7.62x39 dies. What alloy are you using? Are you PC'ing?

gpidaho: Are you sizing .309 before or after PC'ing?

Thanks all.

gpidaho
07-02-2015, 09:46 AM
woodman: I size my PC'd boolits after coating (usually) If a boolit requires a major shift in size I'll size both before and after. GP

07-02-2015, 09:53 AM
Go to Noe's website and order the appropriate expander plug for your needs, stick it in your Lee Universal Expander and you will get exactly what you need.. ;)

I use this technique for most all of my cast rifle boolit applications and some pistol cartridges.

popper
07-02-2015, 10:02 AM
PC or HT adds a couple thous. to diameter. Too heavy and you may have trouble chambering, depends on the rifle. Some use a high temp paint in the nose area to solve that problem. You will probably need to age harden the boolits before loading. BO brass isn't nearly as tough as 308W, I can usually load after a week.

woodmann
07-02-2015, 01:33 PM
Go to Noe's website and order the appropriate expander plug for your needs, stick it in your Lee Universal Expander and you will get exactly what you need.. ;)

I use this technique for most all of my cast rifle boolit applications and some pistol cartridges.

I didn't know these existed. That is a great suggestion.