PDA

View Full Version : Top punch doesn't center on Lyman 4500

Flintlock Hokie
06-30-2015, 08:46 PM
I cast my first boolits this weekend. Tonight I tested one in my new Lyman 4500 lube sizer. I noticed that the top punch does not center perfectly in the sizing die (with no boolit in place). Is this a problem? Will everything self-center with a boolit in place?

Thanks

bhn22
06-30-2015, 09:37 PM
No. This is a weakness of the "in & out" type sizers. If you are sizing flat nose bullets, simply order or make a simple flat nosed punch. This can be done by filling the cavity of a nose punch with epoxy and cutting or filing it flat so it will not tip the bullet in any direction during use. The Perfessor on this board offers floating nose punches that I've heard work well, but he may be experiencing a backlog right now, send him a PM to find out.

RobS
06-30-2015, 09:49 PM
I made a flat nose top punch by simply taking a bolt (can't remember the bolt diameter) and then chucked it into a drill press to take off the markings and even turned it down round. Take a top punch with you to the nearest hardware store and make a go at it.

Flintlock Hokie
06-30-2015, 10:02 PM
Not a flat nosed bullet. I'm casting .45 caliber 500 grain round nose, the Lyman 457125 mould. I have the correct top punch for that bullet.

altheating
06-30-2015, 10:06 PM
Call Lyman and tell them the problem. I bought one a few years ago with the same problem. They sent me a new one.

Geezer in NH
06-30-2015, 10:41 PM
I stick the top punch in with bullet lube and do not use the lock screw and that has kept it inline with the die. FWIW

dondiego
07-01-2015, 11:03 AM
Loosen the lock screw so that it has a slight amount of play. You might have it tightened in slightly crooked.

Edit : Geezer's method is probably even better.

Don

Char-Gar
07-01-2015, 11:09 AM
This is not an uncommon problem with several ways around it;

1. Loosen the retaining nut and put some bullet lube on the stem of the punch to hold it in place. It will then have some wiggle room to center itself.

2. If you have a flat spot on the nose of the bullet a flat nose punch works fine. I turn on flat in my lathe or they are easy to make.

3. The use of a punch for a larger flat nose bullet also works many time.

Tatume
07-01-2015, 12:47 PM
There are several good recommendations here. Use them all. Call Lyman (post #5). While you're waiting, loosen the set screw (post #6 and more). Make a flat nose punch (post #2 and more), it probably will not harm your round nosed bullets. More (e.g. post #8). Looks to me like you're in like Flynn.