PDA

View Full Version : Metric, what is it good for? (Spring and Ball from lathe knob... Grrr.)

ohland
06-30-2015, 09:11 AM
Dear God in heaven, the Red Chinese lathe downstairs has been missing a 5x30mm roll pin in a gearbox knob for years. Things finally worked themselves out, so to say, after the imbroglio with the spinning tailstock spindle (problem went away when drilling with 7/16 into solid metal).

Anyways, the 4mm allen wrench that was holding the knob on was used to actually remove a screw... how odd. The spring detent ball and spring were able to find freedom... I have the ball, but the spring is sprung...

So Grizzly sez: .8x4.5x18, which I take to mean the spring wire is .8mm in diameter, the coil is 4.5mm in diameter, and the coil length is 18mm.

A 3/16 spring @ .75 in diameter will work.

The roll pin is different, Ace has spring pins where the 5mm (well, they were in that compartment) pins are muy macho... I don't want to be beating on a pin on a 3/8 inch shaft that goes into the gearbox... Some bad mojo last time removing the pin....

I need to do a thunder run back to Ace. This time I'll have the knob so I can try fit the new spring, mic the roll pins to see if they are 5mm (or are just too macho), and grab a 5mm dowel pin. The dowel pin will be under tension (?) from the detent spring, so it will probably stay in....

A pint's a pound, the world around....

bangerjim
06-30-2015, 09:39 AM
That is why I have stock bins and plastic containers full of every size, shape, and contortion I can find of springs, pins, plugs, screws, rivets and anything else in the vast universe of connectors & such! They have not failed me yet. When one does not exist, I make it on the lathes.

I have Lowe's, HD's and Ace's no more than 4-5 miles from here, but I just love going over to my "stash" and getting what I need.

Good luck on your quest.

banger

mold maker
06-30-2015, 12:36 PM
All my life, I've added to my Dads collection of screws, bolts, springs, etc. Your right, there is a certain satisfaction, to finding at least a workable item, among the freebies you've salvaged.
My favorite is a bucket emblazoned with "Things & stuff". It contains what ever didn't fit any other size or definition.

bangerjim
06-30-2015, 12:44 PM
That is why all my family and friends call me a "packrat".

I guess the correct term today is "hoarder"? I have ZipLok gallon bags of "bench sweepings" I save every time I clean off one of my several work benches. Lots-o-goodies in there, if I can ever find them and file away in all my storage devices.

"Never throw away today something you MIGHT need 3 years from now!"

banger

bob208
06-30-2015, 01:29 PM
I worked a few places that did not use a nut or bolt over. you took a part off to replace it the bolt and or nuts were junk in their eyes. so what do I do with them I asked throw them out or take them home. but get them out of here was their answer. this has lead to me having more then one bucket of bolts. the only problem is the one I need is always on the bottom of the bucket.

bangerjim
06-30-2015, 01:33 PM
That is where you get to know Hellen Hunt..............you know, you go to Hell-n-Hunt for something!

xs11jack
06-30-2015, 07:36 PM
We have to get our definitions correct here, my wife says I am hoarding junk, I say I am prudently keeping stuff.
Ole Jack

Silfield
07-01-2015, 05:17 AM
We have to get our definitions correct here, my wife says I am hoarding junk, I say I am prudently keeping stuff.
Ole Jack

How true is that. My wife says the same but keeps quiet when my junk is used to mend one of her 'toys' [smilie=s:
On the odd occasion I have had a clear out, I can guarantee that within a couple of weeks something I have thrown out is needed.

William Yanda
07-01-2015, 06:11 AM
Growing up, there was a village handyman type who lived in the adjacent lot. Main St., our lot, his lot, rr tracks then the river. He had piles of stuff here and there, boards stacked upright against trees, etc. You get the picture. On one occasion he was asked if he had a system. He replied, "If I think I might find a use for something I keep it three years". The questioner responded to the effect that some of these items had obviously been here more than three years. The reply: "Yeah, I looked at it and thought I'd give it another chance."

shaper
07-01-2015, 08:41 AM
I hate metrics..... I have been a mechanic all my life, rebuilt my first engine at the age of 10, with guidance of course. My hands will never get totally clean because of the grease and grime. I am the fix it guy in the family and the neighborhood. I keep every nut, bolt, washer,rivet, spring or what ever. When I come up with a metric item it goes in the trash and I install a USA standard from my stash. Some times a metric has to go back in but not before some bad language and name calling. No one thinks I am nuts, they are just thankful I have something they might need.

sorry for the rant on your post, I just don't like metrics.

Ickisrulz
07-01-2015, 08:56 AM
Not really what you asked, but the Metric System is good for science (chemistry, etc.) and that alone.

kfarm
07-02-2015, 10:01 AM
If God had ment for us to use metrics we would have 10 disciples not 12

Ola
07-02-2015, 10:14 AM
You guys are so wrong.. Grains in powder and inches in barrels.. otherwise METRICs.

ohland
07-02-2015, 10:55 AM
You guys are so wrong.. Grains in powder and inches in barrels.. otherwise METRICs.

A metric is just a term used while gathering data.

A pint's a pound the world around...

Ola
07-02-2015, 05:14 PM
A pint's a pound? Is that it?? And it is not even exact, just an approximation...
(In metric conversions are exact: 1 litre (water) IS 1 kilogram. 1 litre IS also 1 cubic desimeter if you want..)

But seriously: about inches. Why can't you use only 0.123 -system? 5/16 and 7/18 -type figures seem totally unnecessary.

bob208
07-02-2015, 07:13 PM
metric is for those that have to count on their fingers.

Silfield
07-03-2015, 06:30 AM
I have to use both systems but was taught metric all through school. It was confusing when I first started work at an engineering company where all the older machinery that came in for reconditioning was imperial but any new sub assemblies that got added on were metric. All new machines are metric but sprockets and chain are imperial still! We still drive miles but fill up with litres of petrol, I am 6'4" tall and weigh too many lbs but the food that I buy is weighed in grams. In a pub a beer is sold in pints but spirits are sold in x milli litres. My wife buys material for dress making, it comes in 72" widths but she is asked "how many metres would you like".
The whole system is odd but it seems to work, but my son is taught only in metric everything so eventually the imperial measurements will be a thing of the past (apart from us 'old' folks who wont let it go) Got to admit thou that metric is far easier.
[smilie=2:

mold maker
07-03-2015, 01:25 PM
metric is for those that have to count on their fingers.
That don't work, I have only half a left thumb. Does that mean I can only count to 9.5????

Cap'n Morgan
07-04-2015, 01:06 AM
Countries not using the metric system:

http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag248/driftwood4/Imperial_zpshkwrwytj.jpg (http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/driftwood4/media/Imperial_zpshkwrwytj.jpg.html)

Need I say more...

Enjoy the total world domination along with Liberia and Myanmar :kidding:

10x
07-05-2015, 10:48 AM
I have used both metric and Imperial for over 50 years.
Both are a system of measurement.
Both can give very accurate measurements.
Metric is standard - sort of - except when it comes to threads and thread pitches.
Measuring and matching a fine thread metric pitch and finding a bolt can be a challenge

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/metric-threads-d_777.html

marvelshooter
07-05-2015, 11:02 AM
Metric is standard - sort of - except when it comes to threads and thread pitches.
Measuring and matching a fine thread metric pitch and finding a bolt can be a challenge

I like working with metric threads. Unless otherwise specified there is one commonly used pitch per diameter. Example: M6 is normally 1mm pitch. Finding the correct tap drill is MUCH easier. The tap drill size is always the nominal diameter minus the pitch. M6 minus 1mm pitch is 5mm. No looking for a chart and then trying to find the correct fractional, letter or number drill.

TXGunNut
07-05-2015, 11:15 AM
I like both systems but wish the US hardware folks would quit dragging their feet and embrace it. I remember when I could do most anything on a Ford or GM engine with just a few sockets and wrenches, those days are long gone. I used do a bit of bicycle wrenching and was amused to find that ball bearings in Shimano components were not metric while most everything else was.

ascast
07-05-2015, 11:43 AM
"Enjoy the total world domination along with Liberia and Myanmar"

roflmmfao !!

I must say that 5ft 11in is easy to see than 1.85m

gotta go train to Myanmar is pulling out

mold maker
07-05-2015, 04:28 PM
I've ran into many young folks that can't read fractions at all. It was easier to explain and teach the metric system in order to get quality work from them.

TXGunNut
07-05-2015, 11:03 PM
I must admit I have an old plastic dial caliper at work that helps out a bunch. It's marked in inches, fractions of an inch, hundredths of an inch and mm/cm. It's only capable of hundredth's of an inch so it's nearly useless on my loading bench.

leftiye
07-07-2015, 04:47 AM
Like "Hooh, War, What is it good for? Absolutely nothing." (Men at Work?) ?

smokeywolf
07-07-2015, 06:04 AM
Don't think I have the parts in stock that bangerjim has, but I'm at least a close runner up. I have a considerable assortment of springs (500-1,000), ball plungers and spring plungers. Also dowel and taper pins, stripper and shoulder bolts, Truarcs, E-rings. That's not to mention nuts, bolts, screws, washers (split, star, wave, Bellville)

Whistler
07-07-2015, 08:26 AM
http://www.dailyfailcenter.com/sites/default/files/fail/4b21d45843a7.jpg

wonderwolf
07-07-2015, 10:43 PM
I have always avoided metric stuff, then this past week I noticed a screw was missing on a newly acquired TOZ-35 target pistol (the fancy russian single shot pistol used in 50 METER shoots) anyways, I go to the hardware joint looking for gun parts as usual. I had to actually call my welder friend because I couldn't find help and I wasn't sure how screws were sized. I mean I've run a lathe and mill in hobby form for almost 10 years now and I've managed to avoid metric stuff (both machines are US built) so when I got my thread gauge out and it says 0.5...hence phone call to knowledgeable friend.

I'm with the one or other but not both crowd, although I would have to get a new lathe (cough bigger lathe)....oh darn.

GaryN
07-08-2015, 12:55 AM
Like "Hooh, War, What is it good for? Absolutely nothing." (Men at Work?) ?

Nope. Edwin Starr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpWmlRNfLck

GaryN
07-08-2015, 12:58 AM
How's that for thread drift?

garym1a2
07-08-2015, 02:53 PM
To go full retard try the US system for volumne, mass, weight or area.

http://www.dailyfailcenter.com/sites/default/files/fail/4b21d45843a7.jpg