PDA

View Full Version : New Bullet for 7 m-m - Ideal 285346 (Amateur Sportsman, Volumes 42-43

ohland
06-29-2015, 10:03 PM
Amateur Sportsman, Volume 43, No. 4 August 1910 page 26

Gee, the 285346 was availible in 130 -AND- 115 grains...

https://books.google.com/books?id=wpkXAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA8-PA26&dq=new+ideal+mfg+bullet&hl=en&sa=X&ei=efaRVdjDK4uosAXJrKv4BQ&ved=0CEUQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=new%20ideal%20mfg%20bullet&f=true

New Bullet for 7 m-m

Believing in John H. Barlow's policy, -"There's nothing too good for the rifle shooter—give him what he wants," the Martin Firearms Co. (successor to the Ideal Mfg. Co.) has responded to the popular demand with a new gas-check bullet for the 7 m/m Spanish Mauser.

This bullet (designated as No. 285346) has the patent metal gas-check cup attached to the base, which prevents fusion and gas cutting. See illustration. With 20 grains weight of DuPont Lightning powder it gives very accurate results at 200 yards, having made a 5-shot, 4 1/2-inch group at that distance with the normal elevation of the sight.

The first groove above the base is made with a bevel that fits the gascheck cup also and a separate mould can be furnished for this shorter, lighter weight bullet, giving a short-range gascheck bullet suitable for the 7 m/m. The full length bullet weighs in the neighborhood of 130 grains while the shorter length, or one band short of the full length, weighs about 115 grains when using a mixture of one part tin to 10 parts lead or using Ideal bullet metal No. 2. The 115 grain bullet can also be used in the .28 calibre rifles. Use Ideal No. 10 tool with double adjustable chamber for the 7 m/m: use Ideal No. 3 tool with double adjustable chamber for .28 calibre.

There have been many persistent calls for an Ideal gas-check bullet of this calibre and the rifle-men will be pleased with this announcement. A sample bullet and full information will be sent on request by the Ideal Mfg. Co. (the Marlin Firearms Co. Successor), New Haven, Conn.

runfiverun
06-29-2015, 10:55 PM
Man,, glad I looked.
I almost deleted the wrong thread.

ohland
06-30-2015, 08:33 AM
Man,, glad I looked.
I almost deleted the wrong thread.

Yeah, I did a number of edits, and when you do an edit, you have to back up past the previous post edit, and I must have hit the submit button... Didn't want to loose the message because on short articles it's much easier to use CB as the edit document... On the long articles, I dump to Word and save it seperate.