PDA

View Full Version : sizing quesion

seawolf
06-28-2015, 01:42 PM
I cast a bunch of boolits (29 pounds)from a Lyman 356242 mold they dropped from the mold at .359/360 with wheel weight lead. Now I am in the process of sizing them. I am using a Lee push through sizing die at .356.
I have no experience at this and have noticed that on some of the boolit bands there is an area about 1/4 inch long that is not shiny and on the opposite side there is a heavier flashing on the base of he boolit. I changed to a .357 sizing die then back to the 356 and resized again this helped some but not all of the bands are shiny yet. I have checked he diameter at the seam line and 90 degrees out and have .001 or less difference.
Is this normal and not to worried about or am I doing something wrong?
I intend to powder coat these and resize again before firing.
Thanks, Mark

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-28-2015, 03:16 PM
it sounds like you aren't starting the boolit squarely into the size die.
btw, did you measure the boolits after sizing ? on the off chance your die isn't concentric.

seawolf
06-28-2015, 03:51 PM
No I have only measured before running the die. But I will check.

GRUMPA
06-28-2015, 04:09 PM
A picture might help, I've had that issue in the past. Even though your measuring at 90deg apart, things like calipers wont give you an accurate read out. My problems stopped as soon as I LEE-Mented the mould, that is on most of them. I've moved up to the NOE and other mould companies, let me tell you something, those guys know how to make moulds...

williamwaco
06-28-2015, 04:12 PM
JonB +1

and don't "JAM IT IN".

Push it through the die slowly to give it time to self align.

Many people prefer to lube bullets before sizing with the Lee dies.
I have personally not found that to be necessary.

Operating the handle slowly IS necessary for good ammo.

ALSO:

What cartridge? I can't imagine needing a .356 sizing die.
Most casters use .357 to .358 in the 9mm and .358 to .359 in the .38/.357.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-28-2015, 05:30 PM
Yeah, I do lube when push through sizing...but I don't PC.
Many times, I am re-sizing boolits that have been lubed and sized in a lyman, But if I am wanting to size naked boolits for some reason, I just run a pre-lubed boolit about every fifth naked boolit, or whatever the die tells me it needs.

williamwaco
06-28-2015, 05:38 PM
Yeah, I do lube when push through sizing...but I don't PC.
Many times, I am re-sizing boolits that have been lubed and sized in a lyman, But if I am wanting to size naked boolits for some reason, I just run a pre-lubed boolit about every fifth naked boolit, or whatever the die tells me it needs.

Ditto... Me2

seawolf
06-28-2015, 05:49 PM
I will re slug the barrel but it measured .3554 with soft plumbers lead. Read about taking the retaining spring off the ram to allow better centering and this helped. Checked several bullets after sizing and taking off spring all check .3571 checking in 3 points on the boolit. Checked with a Starrett (friend) & my Fowler mikes. I have no camera at this time so I can't post pics. The dull spot on the bands is next to the mold line and is much smaller after removing the spring.
Mark